Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 58 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 2:34pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

1stline Said:

Sorry, you are right. I did confuse you. Again, my apologies.

To answer, the Technika has a higher grade vacuum breaker valve which is elevated, and this portion will get hot. To reiterate, there is very little water that comes out.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Ok.. So Im not even going to worry about that at this point.. Seems like there really isnt anything to be concerned about on that machine. Ill give it some thought..
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 3:44pm

germantownrob Said:

Overfilling the boiler. Well on my Duetto 3 I would get in from the top of the boiler and use a turkey blaster to fill to the top with hot solution, since I do not have a drain I would the siphon out the solution and repeat with fresh water multiple times to flush. With my Oscar I would simple fill the reservoir with solution after draining the boiler and pull the overfill switch so the machine would keep filling until the boiler is full. Worth noteing, this is how a created a leak in the boiler of the Oscar, I overfilled and left to heat for way to long, my over pressure safety failed and the pressure found another way out.

Yikes, okay this whole overfilling the boiler action has me a little concerned (being a newbie, but also not being too afraid to open things up and am somewhat mechanically inclined). I'm going to purchase the in-tank water filter/softener from CCS, which should last about 4 months so will add about $75 a year in cost. That way hopefully I'll avoid scale to the greatest degree, and just be able to do standard descaling procedures without needing to overfill.

I'm also getting a lot of test strips and will test the bottled water I use (right now thinking about Crystal Geyser as their website indicated they have a Total Hardness rating of 27-38 and a TDS of 89-94 according to their site: Click Here (www.crystalgeyserasw.com)).
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 4:13pm

CarloM Said:

Yikes, okay this whole overfilling the boiler action has me a little concerned (being a newbie, but also not being too afraid to open things up and am somewhat mechanically inclined). I'm going to purchase the in-tank water filter/softener from CCS, which should last about 4 months so will add about $75 a year in cost. That way hopefully I'll avoid scale to the greatest degree, and just be able to do standard descaling procedures without needing to overfill.

I'm also getting a lot of test strips and will test the bottled water I use (right now thinking about Crystal Geyser as their website indicated they have a Total Hardness rating of 27-38 and a TDS of 89-94 according to their site: Click Here (www.crystalgeyserasw.com)).

I disagree. You must run the hardness of you water against the filter to see how long it will last, the filter will slowly become less and less efficient so tests are needed when replacement is actually needed. 6g per gal of hardness created scale in my HX, enough to have to readjust the pressure stat to compensate, this required a every 9 month descale. I am only 3 months into a dB machine so I have not done a descale yet and after some time of tailoring my water from distilled I came to the conclusion descaling was easier, lol. Now that I have a boiler that stands up instead of sideways this will be much easier.
CarloM

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 4:40pm

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing to? How long the filter will last? How do I run tests on the water from the filter to see if it's still effective, from the water coming out of the [presumably just cleaned] brew group?

Or are you disagreeing that I should do the overfill method when descaling?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:03pm

Sorry, just this part.

CarloM Said:

should last about 4 months so will add about $75 a year in cost. That way hopefully I'll avoid scale to the greatest degree, and just be able to do standard descaling procedures without needing to overfill.

I like to test things since most manufactures time frames are based on the best possible circumstances. So will it be 4 months or will you actually be changing filters sooner, which drives the cost per year up. To descales a machine twice a year done properly is a few dollars, but that is me, I am also the person that had a $20k water system to go into the entire house after I started looking into what I was going to do to plumb my machine in. It would have given me tailored water to every outlet in the home, my grass would have loved me, my espresso machine would have loved me,my wife not so much.
gz20tt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Bodum
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:43pm

DavecUK Said:

Will I get a 1 or 1.4l Steam boiler? doesn't matter for 240V as I have a 1.1l, but I am pretty sure you'll get a 1.4l
Will I be guaranteed the newer PID? Yes
Will I get the easy-drain boiler setups? In order of probability....no, US version and most unlikely, the UK version I specified
No idea if my machine will be fresh off the line, a retrofitted earlier one or an earlier one. It won't make any difference for the first 2 and it won't be an earlier one, because they only had their factory test bed and mine. Production started fresh a short while ago.

There are no pre-production models except for mine and probably (because I don't like to speak for the US) the one Chris has for testing....because production only just started a short while ago. Also mine is damm good and in my personal opinion,  better than my Duetto (which was better than most peoples Duetto)....so I wouldn't worry too much.

!

Thanks Dave - As Always :)

I guess my jitters are because my machine seems to be shipping while a few tweaks are still being performed and you haven't received the latest
Yep - 1 or 1.4 litre steam boiler won't make a lot of difference to me since we have 240V - and I can always play with tip selection.
PID - great
Easy drain boilers - and referencing your later post - Bit sad that the UK version has a bespoke, exclusive setup. Great if I at least get the CCS version - fingers crossed. (Crossing everything that I basically get a UK version with an Aussie plug wired on the end of it)

Interesting that it seemed that there were retailers/ads for this machine well before production/final version was locked in. This thread started back in March, a friend thinks he saw it at the Melbourne Coffee show in May, with production kicking off at Quickmill in mid-July.

I'm more comfortable now that whatever I get will be a great machine for my use that will last decades (with care) and I won't have buyers remorse.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 5:59pm

gz20tt Said:

Thanks Dave - As Always :)

I guess my jitters are because my machine seems to be shipping while a few tweaks are still being performed and you haven't received the latest
Yep - 1 or 1.4 litre steam boiler won't make a lot of difference to me since we have 240V - and I can always play with tip selection.
PID - great
Easy drain boilers - and referencing your later post - Bit sad that the UK version has a bespoke, exclusive setup. Great if I at least get the CCS version - fingers crossed. (Crossing everything that I basically get a UK version with an Aussie plug wired on the end of it)

Interesting that it seemed that there were retailers/ads for this machine well before production/final version was locked in. This thread started back in March, a friend thinks he saw it at the Melbourne Coffee show in May, with production kicking off at Quickmill in mid-July.

I'm more comfortable now that whatever I get will be a great machine for my use that will last decades (with care) and I won't have buyers remorse.

Following Dave's post for some time now one thing I hear is QM really took his input and made some changes before production ran. CCS has some things that are probably more specific for our 15amp 110 volt/ 20amp 110v mode, I don't think you will be seeing this stuff, whatever/ if any the differences are. Following Dave's posts from before this machine was announced he let on a machine was coming that would finally be what it should be at this price point. My Duetto lack certain refinements that make this machine really stand out at the same price point.be happy, be excited, be a little boy at Xmas cause you are getting an excellent machine.
CarloM

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:32am

germantownrob Said:

I like to test things since most manufactures time frames are based on the best possible circumstances. So will it be 4 months or will you actually be changing filters sooner, which drives the cost per year up. To descales a machine twice a year done properly is a few dollars, but that is me, I am also the person that had a $20k water system to go into the entire house after I started looking into what I was going to do to plumb my machine in. It would have given me tailored water to every outlet in the home, my grass would have loved me, my espresso machine would have loved me,my wife not so much.

Hi Rob,

I do understand I may need to change it more frequently than initially I was told, depending on use and water hardness. But just to ask for a little clarification, are you implying that if I decide to descale the machine regularly, twice or three times a year, and use reasonably soft water (say bottled water that has between 3-5 grains) I won't need the water softener?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:21am

CarloM Said:

Hi Rob,

I do understand I may need to change it more frequently than initially I was told, depending on use and water hardness. But just to ask for a little clarification, are you implying that if I decide to descale the machine regularly, twice or three times a year, and use reasonably soft water (say bottled water that has between 3-5 grains) I won't need the water softener?

Posted July 25, 2013 link

We are getting off topic here. There are lots of threads here about success stories of using water softners and many failures. IMO you simple do not have the control to get the water to the desired 2.5-3 grains of hardness using a softener. A in tank softener runs the problem of being variable, softening more when new and eventually degrading so the water does not stay constant, and is the most expensive to run overtime. A under sink mount gives longer life span and allows to check the levels over the time frame of a filter if a tee with a shut off is installed to both flush new cartridges and check hardness levels, less expensive to run and some charge their cartridges themselves to cut down on replacement costs.  The larger commercial 6L on up water softener are less expensive to run since you can fill yourself and will stay effectivel for hundreds of gallons but will also take 5-6grains of hardness to nearly 0, blecky. So in a nut shell there is my madness. My conclusion for myself is to descale and not chase my tail. I want to plumb in and if and when I do I will use a flow jet and have distilled water delivered and add filtered water to bring the hardness to 3grains.

What someone needs to make and market is a filtering kit that allows easy tailoring of water hardness for coffee and tea.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:38am

DavecUK,

How did you find the espresso shot quality of the V2B compared to other machine's ?

Does it produce a rich, syrupy shot?

I have found some machines with the same coffee pulled by the same mano produce thinner, lighter color shots and some machine brands will produce a more richer, syrupy and darker shots.  

Thanks
showing page 58 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.478153944016)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+