Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Finally did it!  Bezzera BZ07P on its way!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Finally did it!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 5:12pm
Subject: Finally did it!  Bezzera BZ07P on its way!

My Gaggia Pure finally caved, and there was a $100 off sale, so....  :)

Can't wait!  Should be a significant improvement..  

Now I have to pour over the HX articles again...

Any general tips?
 View Profile Link to this post
fredk01

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 6:08pm
Subject: Re: Finally did it!  Bezzera BZ07P on its way!

Nice!  I looked at this machine a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately, its outside my budget.  :-(

Make espresso. Take pictures.  Post a lot. ;-)
dougz

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 6:52pm

It's out of my budget as well.

But I succumbed to budget creep..
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 7:22pm

Grats!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dougz

Posted Tue Mar 26, 2013, 10:03pm

In a nutshell, I let it go until it stops sputtering and flows steady, then count out 1-3 seconds before stopping it and hurriedly get my portafilter filled (14g? WDT method), tamped (no pressure on the polish), and back in there..

Correct?

What if I'm making back to back shots?  What should I do differently?

It's going to be hard getting my dosing anywhere near fast or consistant with no easy weight to measure the grounds quickly..  

Need a new grinder now!  :(
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 5:45am

RELAX!!!!
It isn't such a big deal and you will very soon know what is going on. You need to flush after every use to clear spent grounds out of the screen so this will give you a chance to gauge the temp.

Hurrying isn't such a big deal. Get your PF ready, flush the over heated water from the system. lock and pull. If you are a minute or so in the lock process it isn't such a big deal, It is NOT like temp surfing a SBDU to catch the thermostat at it's peak etc. You are only clearing out over heated water from a system that wants to be at the correct temp when in constant use.

The fear of the unknown is normally a much bigger thing in our mind than whatever things are in reality. You will very soon be in the grove, I would guess within the first 6 pulls, you will know what to expect. Refining the process can take a while to get peak performance but the basics are pretty easy to get through.

I have a 2 gp HX commercial machine that I use when I have large groups of people over (25+) I instruct a person on how to use it and in very short order, I can leave them and they can run the setup. Is it going to be third wave cutting edge quality.... no but it will be better than *$ and will be more than acceptable quality for general service. I do need to setup the grinder and keep an eye on how things are going but the mechanics are easy.

Take a deep breath, relax and try to wait for it to get to you!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:26am

dougz Said:

In a nutshell, I let it go until it stops sputtering and flows steady, then count out 1-3 seconds before stopping it and hurriedly get my portafilter filled (14g? WDT method), tamped (no pressure on the polish), and back in there..

Correct?

What if I'm making back to back shots?  What should I do differently?

It's going to be hard getting my dosing anywhere near fast or consistant with no easy weight to measure the grounds quickly..  

Need a new grinder now!  :(

Posted March 26, 2013 link

3-5 seconds after the end of water dance/sputtering with a boiler pressure of 1.1 bar on my BZ07.  I tested this with a bodged up pseudo Scace device - thermocouple through a hole drilled in my old Gaggia Classic basket with the perfect crema device in place to give me some pressure in the basket.  I'm currently using 17g dose (with Barismo Peņa Blanca Espresso) in the supplied double basket (just fits) with the grind chosen for a 30 second extraction.

There's a number of options for dosing - I'm using a Preciso with the Esatto attachment, which is easy, but involves spending money you don't have after a budget creep incident ;)  The other is to single dose your grinder - use a small 0.1g precision scale to weigh your beans before grinding.  Or use similar scales to dose ground coffee into the basket before placing it in the portafilter - taking the spring out makes this easy.
dougz

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:38pm

You need to flush after every use to clear spent grounds out of the screen so this will give you a chance to gauge the temp.

Backflush it,you mean?  And you do this with a blind portafilter?

The other is to single dose your grinder - use a small 0.1g precision scale to weigh your beans before grinding.  

*Slaps forehead*  I had other ideas that were ridiculous in the extreme, and there it was right in front of me!  Thanks!

How long after turning it on before I can use it?  With my old machine the manual said 6 minutes, but with a higher end one maybe longer?  I know some people have theirs on timers..

Hopefully it comes with a decent manual!!!  All I could find online was a parts breakdown from Bezzera.
dougz

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 1:02pm

I found this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoq08YBASTc

He doesn't appear to be bothering with the water dance?

And backflushing is just inserting the blind porta and turning it on for a few seconds?  That's easy enough..  :)
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 2:06pm

dougz Said:

Backflush it,you mean?  And you do this with a blind portafilter?

Posted March 27, 2013 link

No, this means the running water until the spluttering stops as you mentioned.  Flushing the super-heated water from the HX and warming and cleaning the group.

dougz Said:

*Slaps forehead*  I had other ideas that were ridiculous in the extreme, and there it was right in front of me!  Thanks!

How long after turning it on before I can use it?  With my old machine the manual said 6 minutes, but with a higher end one maybe longer?  I know some people have theirs on timers..

You need to be careful with single dosing a grinder - some have a significant retention of grinds in the grinder, but that's easy to check.  A nice thing about single-dosing is that you can back-to-back compare different beans easily.

I reckon on 20 minutes with my machine after turning it on, with a few tricks, 30-40 without.  To hurry it along I flush the group (with the empty PF in place) and release some steam once the machine is up to pressure, and then wait for the pressure to recover.  The electrically heated group warms up a bit faster than some thermosiphon machines, so you can get away with a slightly shorter time than a E61 machine.   But $30 at homedepot will get you a programmable timer to turn the machine on in the mornings half an hour before your alarm goes off...

dougz Said:

Hopefully it comes with a decent manual!!!  All I could find online was a parts breakdown from Bezzera.

The manual is OK, but you already know everything you need to know from here and Espresso My Espresso ;)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Finally did it!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.432958126068)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+