Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 142 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 3:42pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

I had an issue yesterday on my Vetrano 2B . . . the machine had warmed up for an hour already and I was just starting to make my espresso.  As I was pulling a shot the water stopped pouring!  I realized then that I was out of water!  Oops . . . . however, the machine and lights were still on!  I thought the machine turned itself off as a safety precaution when this happened?  So I turned both switches off, refilled the reservoir, turned both switches back on, and the pump kicked in to fill the boilers and I was good to go!  I am using bottled water and wondering if maybe there are not enough electrolytes in it to trigger the shut-off sensor??  Also, shouldn't the machine have turned itself off automatically?  If the machine does not turn off when it runs out of water, that could be a serious issue if it happened when a person is not home??  Normally I am pretty vigilant to check the water level every few days but it happened.  Nevertheless, I just want to clarify the safety aspect of the Vetrano 2B machine for other owners.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 4:40pm

Possibly the tank was low, but not empty and possibly you had the pickup tube positioned so that it was not near the bottom of the tank.

You do need to watch the water level. I haven't had it happen to me, but I suspect that the machine will cut off in mid shot of the tank safety switch detects that the tank is low while your pulling your shot.
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 5:19pm

sharky Said:

I had an issue yesterday on my Vetrano 2B . . . the machine had warmed up for an hour already and I was just starting to make my espresso.  As I was pulling a shot the water stopped pouring!  I realized then that I was out of water!  Oops . . . . however, the machine and lights were still on!  I thought the machine turned itself off as a safety precaution when this happened?  So I turned both switches off, refilled the reservoir, turned both switches back on, and the pump kicked in to fill the boilers and I was good to go!  I am using bottled water and wondering if maybe there are not enough electrolytes in it to trigger the shut-off sensor??  Also, shouldn't the machine have turned itself off automatically?  If the machine does not turn off when it runs out of water, that could be a serious issue if it happened when a person is not home??  Normally I am pretty vigilant to check the water level every few days but it happened.  Nevertheless, I just want to clarify the safety aspect of the Vetrano 2B machine for other owners.

Posted December 16, 2013 link

I thought I read somewhere that it would turn the heating element off but allow the shot to finish so as not to power off during pulling a shot.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 5:22pm

will... your emails keep getting returned
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 8:39am

I followed this post initially (for about the first 120 or so pages LOL), but tailed off in the last couple of months... I flipped through the prior pages (painfully) to try and find out if there was ever a root cause determined on the GRRR noise the V2B was making when in reservoir mode??  Was there a response for QM on how to resolve, or at least a root cause identified?

I am still toiling on whether I want a V2B, Mini Vivaldi, etc and I actually delayed my purchase by *months* due to the introduction of the V2B, I know QM makes top notch products and wanted to give it consideration. The QM67 did not bowl me over (and probably why the V2B came out soon after).

Thanks in advance!
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:30pm

CSME9 Said:

I thought I read somewhere that it would turn the heating element off but allow the shot to finish so as not to power off during pulling a shot.

Posted December 16, 2013 link

Mine wont.. I have had to shut off in mid shot before.  The only solution is to make sure you don't let the tank get too low.
sharky
sharky

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 2:12pm

DeanOK Said:

Mine wont.. I have had to shut off in mid shot before.  The only solution is to make sure you don't let the tank get too low.

Posted December 17, 2013 link

DeanOK, you read above that the same happened to me.  So how is the safety shut-off switch working if it doesn't kill the power when you run low on water?  Something is wrong here??  Perhaps another user can chime in with some more info . . . perhaps Chris himself?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 2:16pm

sharky Said:

DeanOK, you read above that the same happened to me.  So how is the safety shut-off switch working if it doesn't kill the power when you run low on water?  Something is wrong here??  Perhaps another user can chime in with some more info . . . perhaps Chris himself?

The tank sensor shuts the entire machine down, including the pump, when the tank gets low... if your in the middle of a shot when the tank sensor senses a low water level, it will shut off in the middle of your shot. The solution is to keep water in your tank and not let it get that low. I don't really think Chris can add much to that... it is what it is.
sharky
sharky

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 8:40pm

DeanOK Said:

The tank sensor shuts the entire machine down, including the pump, when the tank gets low... if your in the middle of a shot when the tank sensor senses a low water level, it will shut off in the middle of your shot. The solution is to keep water in your tank and not let it get that low. I don't really think Chris can add much to thatů it is what it is.

You failed to read my original post . . . the machine failed to shut off when it ran out of water!!  The shot stopped half way through but all the lights were still on.  Therefore, it was still heating the boilers but with no water available!  That is my point . . . running out of water was not planned but can happen to anyone/anytime.  So I am asking those in the know, is the tank sensor faulty or what??
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 1:21am

sharky Said:

You failed to read my original post . . . the machine failed to shut off when it ran out of water!!  The shot stopped half way through but all the lights were still on.  Therefore, it was still heating the boilers but with no water available!  That is my point . . . running out of water was not planned but can happen to anyone/anytime.  So I am asking those in the know, is the tank sensor faulty or what??

Not necessarily true. I have encountered a situation where the lights were on but the heaters were not: when you change values on the PID.

How do I know? I started it up the other day, then decided to try and increase my water temp by 1F because I had a new bean which I thought extracted better at 203F. I walked away for half an hour and when I came back the machine was still cold. The lights were on, but yep, you guessed it, I forgot to get out of the PID menu. So while the machine is on, and all the lights are on, the boilers can be off.

So I'm not saying with certainty that when the machine low-water sensor is triggered that it does shut off the boiler, but it's a possibility because the machine can be on without the boilers being on, under the right circumstances.

So who wants to go test this out? Quite frankly it's a non issue for me so I'm not going to bother. I'm not worried because even though the pump/motor is stopped by low water, there's still water in the boiler (it's just the reservoir that is low, not the boiler) so in theory there should be no harm to the heater being on because the boiler should still be filled with water.
showing page 142 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.489458084106)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+