Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 139 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 11:45am
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Dave - thanks again for all of your insight and suggestions.

For me: I continue to use Crystal Geyser water, which while soft, as you say may contain impurities I'm not detecting. But the first month or so this hadn't happened so it's odd that it's starting to happen now. Same with the inlet situation: if that little disc at the end was really the problem I would think that in the first 30 days it would have shown itself, but it didn't. I'll check the meniscus test though per your suggestion.

I turn my machine on twice a day and let it warm up at least a half hour, ideally 40+ minutes. Unless I'm on vacation (which I haven't been able to take since I bought the V2B) the machine comes on at least once a day.

Question: you mentioned that our offset was high. Would changing the offset be equal to lowering the brew boiler temp? I would think if our offset was too high that means our brew temp is too high (meaning if our offset is 27F and it should be 19F, that means at 202F, it would really be 210F? I could turn mine down but I don't want to waste beans because sometimes 8F makes a big difference in taste and my espressos are coming out perfectly now.

I'll check my expansion valve per your recommendation. Pardon my ignorance but if I need to adjust, this is the same as setting the brew pressure per that side opening in the V2B right?

When does the noise happen (aka your series of events question): It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, I'd say now 50-60% of the time after I've turned the machine on and let it warm up for 30-40 minutes. If at the point where I turn the machine on I bleed some water out through the brew head, it reduces the chance it will make the noise, but it still does maybe 30% of the time. And now I've found that if I've left the machine on but unused for an hour, it can happen then (only happened once, I forgot to turn the machine off).

When *doesn't* it happen. Any successive shots after the first time it makes the noise. I've made up to four drinks in a row. The first drink had the noise. All subsequent drinks did not (and there was a few minutes between each drink as I steamed milk, cleaned up, refilled portafilter, etc.).
 View Profile Link to this post
pShoe

Expertise: I love coffee

cuznvin Said:

If you would have read the quote I was responding to you would know why I responded with my comment. Ask clive coffee or chris which machine he thinks is better..
Why would you call my decision "untimely"? You have no idea how long I took to make my decision.. I also see comments here about people possibly returning their machine. I dont need to justify my purchase, but it seems you do!

Posted November 1, 2013 link

I don't show up in Vivaldi threads pronouncing my love my the V2B or making comments about potential negative aspect of it.
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario

Markarian Said:

Can somebody explain how a thread that was a simple announcement of a new machine from Quick Mill in March turned into a 138 page megathread? I've been wondering this for months.

Well, I would, but that explanation might take another 138 pages... :-)

In short, the thread started WAY before the machine arrived, as a "Thread of Expectations", and now it simply morphed into an "Owner's thread." (I think...)

But yeah, that's one heck of a monster thread...
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 11:48am

pShoe Said:

I don't show up in Vivaldi threads pronouncing my love my the V2B or making comments about potential negative aspect of it.

And??? The poster commented about other machines in the price range and I commented on how I  love my vivaldi  which is in the price range also.. Discussion over.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 12:03pm

JaniceAnn Said:

If you were to return the machine to CCS, what would you get instead?  

I like the Vivaldi with the rotary pump but I wouldn't be able to plumb it in and it doesn't have a tank.  

What else is out there that would be a better machine than the 2B?  I do like the setup of the motor on top of the pump.  Are there any other machines that have the same configuration?

I hate the thought of having to pack that big thing back up.  I would have to have UPS pick it up because I can't lift it by myself.  

Hopefully CCS will figure out what is wrong and it will be a simple easy fix.  I am sure they will do their best to help us with the problem.

Posted October 31, 2013 link

Janice - unless the problem were super severe and threatening to the life of the machine, if I had to send it back to CCS it would be for a repair or replacement unit. I'm not sure I'd get a different model. I really do love the V2B in so many ways. Everything that DavecUK has mentioned in this thread as to why it is now his favorite under 2.5K machine has come true. This one annoying noise is really the only problem I've had. I'm willing to see if they can iron out the kinks.
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 12:06pm

Thanks for your input Carlo.  I couldn't find another machine in the same price range with all the features and the pump/motor configuration.  That was one of the most important selling points for me.

I am sure CCS will figure out what the problem is and there will be a fix.  I may not be that mechanically inclined but I am sure my husband can handle simple repairs.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 12:15pm

JaniceAnn Said:

It is not up to you to say when a discussion is over.  

You are the one that starting wanting Chris to bring in the 2B and were saying how anxious you were to buy one then you went with the Vivaldi.  

Why don't you go to the Vivaldi website instead of making comments to this thread.  You didn't get the 2B and you are not contributing anything to this thread.

Save your sniping replies as no one wants to hear them.

Thanks for your input Carlo.  I couldn't find another machine in the same price range with all the features and the pump/motor configuration.  That was one of the most important selling points for me.

I am sure CCS will figure out what the problem is and there will be a fix.  I may not be that mechanically inclined but I am sure my husband can handle simple repairs.

I certainly can say when I am going to stop discussing something . I wasnt addressing you so MYOB
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 12:22pm

cuznvin Said:

I certainly can say when I am going to stop discussing something . I wasnt addressing you so MYOB

I am sure most of the people on this thread would just love it if you would Mind Your Own Business and just go away.  End of discussion!

Carlo, have you heard anything from CCS since you sent the recording of the noise to them?  I replied again today to the email I got two weeks ago from CCS to ask if there had been any progress in figuring out
what could be causing the noise.  I haven't heard back yet but when I do, if there is any new information, I will post it to the thread.
ECM
ECM
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Mazzer Robour E
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: no
Roaster: Fresh Roast+8,  i-roast and...
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 12:50pm

Could this problem be related some how to the configuration of the pump and motor?  

Perhaps there was a reason all theses years that the motor was always mounted on the bottom of the pump.  Maybe in reversing that configuration they inadvertently caused the noise problem?  

I'm just throwing in out there for consideration.  

DEANok:

I agree with your comments on how for the price this isa the best unit out there.  I only mentioned the GS3 as I owned one a couple of months ago.  I just can't afford to buy another one.  The Vetrano 2B looks to me about the best machine in this price range.  

Rob
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 1:15pm

ECM Said:

Could this problem be related some how to the configuration of the pump and motor?  

Perhaps there was a reason all theses years that the motor was always mounted on the bottom of the pump.  Maybe in reversing that configuration they inadvertently caused the noise problem?  

I'm just throwing in out there for consideration.  

I wouldn't think so, it's absolutely the best place to have the pump, it even beats the standard horizontal mounting. It was also checked with the pump manufacturer.

It must be air, where it's coming from I don't know. The pump is low down, so there will be no tendency for the tube to drain as there would be with the pump mounted high up.
For the person re adjustment of the expansion valve...no fraid you have to remove case and it's in between the boilers.

The comments re I was using possibly impure water and it was fine for a month, or why would inline softeners produce a problem after being fine for a month. Unfortunately, that's exactly how it happens. The mystery is neither machine I had did it, both of them were identical plumbing wise on the part of the circuit that matters. In addition other UK machines don't seem to be affected (we don't have inline softeners, just the plastic button standoff thing). The differences mainly seem to be

• Nothing on the end of my tube (which is cut to a V),
  • Smaller offset and probably lower brew temp, I find most people run their machines too hot, because the extractions look better and it handles badly roasted coffee better (e.g. underroasted or unevenly roasted)
  • Very clean water with only bicarb added
    I think with your motors, they might well spin faster 50Hz/Vs 60Hz, perhaps that is the problem (long shot, but you never know)?

I would like some you to do some tests to help me.

1. Attach the pipe to the bottom of the machine, switch it into plumbed mode, stick the pipe into a bottle of water on the counter and run with that for a week.
  2. Does anyone with the machine plumbed have this problem
  3. Switch the machine from tanked, to mains and back 3 times, does the problem go away
  4. I always wanted a cap on that mains connector (someone go down the plumbing store and get a cap with rubber pad to seal that mains inlet).

Observe the brew pressure gauge each time before a shot and anything else about your routine and then report back. Perhaps somewhere in all this an answer will appear.

The grr noise is not limited to this machine, others do it and it's almost always an antibackflow valve/water quality issue, perhaps a different model of valve can be fitted. I'll revisit the thread over the week and lets see what we get back, if you guys/girls can think of any other tests, do em.

P.S. This is a VERY good machine, pity about the occasional noise some of you are having. It has many features that put it in a class of it's own in that price bracket...I've not regretted putting my Duetto into storage, together with my R58.
showing page 139 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.474895000458)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+