Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 115 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Tonyv138

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 6:28pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Has anyone besides DaveC taken off the panels off the V2B? I see only 2 screws on the top, and 3 on the bottom i think, but it seems that bottom ones are inaccessible. Any tips to take the back and sides off?

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 6:46pm

Tonyv138 Said:

Has anyone besides DaveC taken off the panels off the V2B? I see only 2 screws on the top, and 3 on the bottom i think, but it seems that bottom ones are inaccessible. Any tips to take the back and sides off?

thanks

Posted September 5, 2013 link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwcVVoj50Q

Instructions on how to remove the case on the Verona which is the Vetrano 2B in the USA.
AustinDave

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:17pm

Mine arrived today. One front leg bent slightly but not really noticeable. No four hole tip. No instruction manual. I'll need to wait until the weekend to go back over DaveUK's posts on how to condition the machine. Looks pretty on the counter, tho.

I have mine configured for 20A. The branch circuit feeds other countertop appliances so I guess I'll need to take care to not run too many things at once. If the testing you all are doing shows no practical advantage over 15A mode for pulling one or two milk drinks, I may configure it for 15A.

I don't really like the feel and look of the portafilter, both the rough plastic feel of the handle and the obvious cast marks in the metal. I know already that will get swapped out for something better.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:25pm

I did notice some sharp edges on the handle of the factory PF, but I don't use it so I haven't had to deal with that. Looks like a little work with something to clean up the rough plastic edges would do the trick.

The manual is not shipped with the machine. There should be a paper in the box that points you to the manual on their web site. If you don't have it, here is the link:
http://www.chriscoffee.com/kb_results.asp?ID=36

Edit: If you have other high wattage appliances I would put it in 15 amp mode. I really don't think you will notice it on low production. It just takes a second to switch it back to 15 amp mode.
PeterWWbeagle

Espresso: Quick Mill Anita,CMA...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mini, Macap
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:36pm

As a litigator for electronics companies, licensed electrician and one with great knowledge of the NEC, I am appalled by the incorrect, misleading dangerous and just plain made up electrical advice in this thread   Perhaps OK never adopted the NEC.  

A coffee hobbies  blog is no place  to opine on the adequacy of circuits, breakers and the code.  particularly when the posting has just enough correct information to delude the reader into thinking the poster has a clue.  Getting circuit capacity advice here is like getting medical information from a TV Commerical.  

People die every day from electrical house fires.  The codes are there to save lives.  

Analyze your  beans, discuss ad nauseam the best temperature BUT DO NO HARM.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 8:48pm

I think I now understand why DavecUK preferred the UK portafilters. I'm not overly impressed with the US version. They're not bad, but I'd hope for better from a $2200 machine. The double PF narrows too quickly, so my 19g VST can't be used, so I'm still using a bottomless Rancilio pf.

Made a mocha this afternoon. Espresso again was great, microfoam was much better when I didn't stretch the milk too much in the beginning, and then when submerging to heat the milk I aimed for a near vertical, center placement and let the opposing air jets start a roll on its own. Didn't do the pour correctly so no great art, but the milk had that airy, consistent texture I've been after but unable to attain with the Silvia single-hole tip. Gave the drink a really nice mouthfeel which is what I'm after. Latte art would just be a bonus.
DavecUK

Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 2:15am

Tonyv138 Said:

thanks

Just saw that video, yes they did a great job....only one thing. I remember now getting the odd cut on my hand (because I was careless), but it reminded me about taking the rear panel off. I can't remember why I use this technique, but I always do, so there must be a reason why. I take a tea towel (drying cloth for plates), ball it up into a pad and reach down inside where the water tank was sitting and apply pressure as low down as I can on the panel, using the cloth as a soft large area pad. So I can't distort the metal or cut my hand!

I never pull the panel from the outside (at the edges). I think the reason I don't personally do this is to avoid the potential for unequal pressure on the clip pins at the bottom, should one side come out first. This is because you would then have a hand pulling right at the edge on the opposite side (that released), twisting the back and applying a twisting moment on the rear pin that had not released. It's one of the reason we also had the retaining pins changed to zinc coated steel on the UK Verona, there was the odd report of the brass ones breaking, and they self thread into 2 steel plates!.

Also the nature of these clips is such that they like to come out with the panel as vertical as possible, not so easily possible if your tilting the panel to get enough room to get your fingers behind it. So fantastic down to the point of pulling the rear panel off, at that point I reach in and use a big cloth pad as low down as possible, to push it off from inside, with the panel held as vertical as possible in it's normal fitted position.

Sorry I have not explained it well and will try to do a video next time I remove my case....but it could be a while, as it's not due a maintenance check for some time.

As for the portafilters...yeah, I liked the one I liked, when the second machine came directly to me from Italy via air freight in advance of the main batch, I didn't like the portafilter they had substituted, found out the whole batch was like it and insisted that the same portafilters I had on the initial test machine were shipped.  I had only approved those.....so they sent a full set of those for the entire UK batch by air separately, BB during the delivery inspection simply replaced them before sending out to the customers. I understand BB will probably return the others to QM at some point, at least that's what I recommended they do. I can't exactly remember what they said to me on the phone, something about, "we thought you would want the same portafilters as the USA", well going by that logic we would have had lights as well....so a pretty weak excuse in my opinion. However The UK Verona is specific to BB, they paid extra for their machine and I was a complete hardass to QM as far as any issues were concerned, down to steel instead of brass pins on something you would never know about if I hand't said, so extension pipes for the drain system, so they taps are "just" below the access plate, rather than on the base of the boilers. Even down to the PIDs not coming at factory setting, but for us, exactly as I specified, so there's no chance of misconfiguration, unfortunately, I can't do anything about a factory reset putting it back to Gicars standard firmware settings (e.g. an offset of 15C, plus other things).
Deniss

Espresso: Quickmill QM67
Grinder: Compak E10 Master
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 3:55am

I had my QM67 and my Ceado E7 installed on a dedicated 15 amp circuit, you know those machines consume a lot of power. Prior to the dedicated circuit the light in my fridge was flickering when the boiler was on. I wanted the full potential for my machines.

QM67 is 1400 watts and the Ceado E7 400 watts it is 1800 watt on the counter...

I have no worries of overloading circuit and the outlet was installed by a licensed electrician.

Sorry to intrude on your post with my QM67 the little sister of the Vetrano DB
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 4:20am

PeterWWbeagle Said:

As a litigator for electronics companies, licensed electrician and one with great knowledge of the NEC, I am appalled by the incorrect, misleading dangerous and just plain made up electrical advice in this thread   Perhaps OK never adopted the NEC.  

A coffee hobbies  blog is no place  to opine on the adequacy of circuits, breakers and the code.  particularly when the posting has just enough correct information to delude the reader into thinking the poster has a clue.  Getting circuit capacity advice here is like getting medical information from a TV Commerical.  

People die every day from electrical house fires.  The codes are there to save lives.  

Analyze your  beans, discuss ad nauseam the best temperature BUT DO NO HARM.

Deniss Said:

I had my QM67 and my Ceado E7 installed on a dedicated 15 amp circuit, you know those machines consume a lot of power. Prior to the dedicated circuit the light in my fridge was flickering when the boiler was on. I wanted the full potential for my machines.

QM67 is 1400 watts and the Ceado E7 400 watts it is 1800 watt on the counter...

I have no worries of overloading circuit and the outlet was installed by a licensed electrician.

Sorry to intrude on your post with my QM67 the little sister of the Vetrano DB

Posted September 6, 2013 link

I have debated whether to stay out of this or whether get involved. First of all, I think both Peter and myself have the same goal... trying to keep people safe and I know that people will do things that are not supposed to do just because they can. My intention was to get people to look around and see how many high wattage appliances they have on the same circuit... because overloading a circuit can be easy in a kitchen.

First, Deniss, your QM67 and Ceado together pull more wattage than the V2B in 20 amp mode... and then we learn that your refrigerator is on the same circuit. Your circuit was WAY OVERLOADED and this was done with appliances that were designed within prevailing codes to be used in your kitchen. You absolutely did the right thing by adding the additional dedicated circuit.

My point is that you need to look around and see how your available circuits are being used. Just because you have only 15 amp appliances plugged in doesn't mean you are ok. If this concept is confusing for you, it may well be worth your time and money to pay an electrician to look at how you are using your appliances.

In no case would I tell you that you don't need a dedicated circuit. In fact, you may need a dedicated/additional circuit even if you are using the V2B in 15 amp mode. Using the V2B in 15 amp mode is no guarantee that you are not overloading your existing circuit.

In my case, I know exactly what is on my circuits, how much current is being drawn on those circuits and the gauge of the wire, the length of the wire, the voltage drop under load, and the size of the circuit protector. I am comfortable with what I am doing... that doesn't mean anyone else should do it just because I am .

Bottom line, if you have a toaster, refrigerator, microwave, and a 15 amp coffee machine on your counter, you should already be making efforts to determine how many of these appliances are sharing the same circuit. Sometimes the answer is simply to move an appliance to another circuit.

When in doubt, hire an electrician. If you need a dedicated circuit, even if your machine is in 15 amp mode, have the circuit installed.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Sep 6, 2013, 9:12am

AustinDave Said:

Mine arrived today. One front leg bent slightly but not really noticeable. No four hole tip. No instruction manual. I'll need to wait until the weekend to go back over DaveUK's posts on how to condition the machine. Looks pretty on the counter, tho.

I have mine configured for 20A. The branch circuit feeds other countertop appliances so I guess I'll need to take care to not run too many things at once. If the testing you all are doing shows no practical advantage over 15A mode for pulling one or two milk drinks, I may configure it for 15A.

I don't really like the feel and look of the portafilter, both the rough plastic feel of the handle and the obvious cast marks in the metal. I know already that will get swapped out for something better.

Guess they forgot to turn yours upside down when they packed it..
showing page 115 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.486748933792)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+