Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Thanks So Very Much and Quick Question
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Thanks So Very...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mathfuzzy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Dream T
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 8:36pm
Subject: Thanks So Very Much and Quick Question

I didn't want to research and leave without saying "thanks."  Seems as though that would have been poor manners.

I've been reading and researching a replacement for my 20 year-old Gaggia classic. This has been a great resource and I especially appreciated the efforts and insights from the regular (and prolific) contributors. I've used my Gaggia several times every week to make some combination of lattes, espressos and americanos and recognized it was time for an upgrade. I've also had a Pasquini Moka grinder for the last decade.  Anyway, I at least have a bunch of experience with making espresso and espresso drinks and when I realized I needed an upgrade, this forum and the bread crumb trails it lead me to were tremendously valuable.

So, big thanks for the insight, information and help.

At the end of many nights of obsessive research, I ended up ordering a Spaziale Dream T from CCS. And because I was fed up with the Moka's stepped adjustments (closest I could get was 20 second or 35 second double shots, plus at least day old coffee in the doser) so I also ordered a Mazzer Mini electric B.  And because I've also been using an Espro tamper for the last several months, I got a 53mm version of that gem.

Here's the big question - actually two. Does anyone who's bought a Dream or Dream T want to tell me I made a big mistake and should get the non-electronic version of the La Spaziale?  And should I have gotten a k30 Vario for another several hundred dollars, rather than the Mini E?

Thanks again and all the best.

By the way, and with all due respect, I'll be promptly doing my best to spend very little time on the forums as it could get increasingly expensive.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:20am
Subject: Re: Thanks So Very Much and Quick Question

Mathfuzzy Said:

And should I have gotten a k30 Vario for another several hundred dollars, rather than the Mini E?

Posted March 24, 2013 link

I think the Mini E is a decent grinder in its own right. It's sized perfectly for the home and has a duty cycle which will handle anything you can throw at it.

The K30 Vario is a step up from the Mini E, something only to be considered if you want something more than what the Mini E can do.

Personally, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between espresso made with a Mini E and a K30 Vario...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Mathfuzzy

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 4:07am

Thanks - that was generally my take as well.  Just would hate to have gone this far and get it wrong for a few hundred dollars. Still, it's clear you have to stop somewhere. I found myself thinking about a used GS/3, Robur, etc and realized that the Spaz and Mini are going to be just great. They're scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday and I'm all excited about finding out just how far I've upgraded.  Hopefully I'm done for another couple of decades!
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 7:11am

heard there has been alot of growing pains with the Dream talking to owners and techs. might want to look on the S1 forum so you are better prepared for when it arives.

heres the link http://s1cafe.com/
Mathfuzzy

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 8:24am

kboom1 Said:

heard there has been alot of growing pains with the Dream talking to owners and techs. might want to look on the S1 forum so you are better prepared for when it arives.

heres the link http://s1cafe.com/

Posted March 25, 2013 link

Thanks for the link.  Yeah, i read through a couple of the new owner threads on the S1 Forum over the past week and it sounds as though the latest firmware has addressed issues with the initial batch of machines.  I'm realizing that I'm taking a bit of an early adopter risk, but the trade-off seems okay.  There's not much chatter on this forum from owners of either the Dream or Dream T...either good or bad.

Maybe that's my opportunity to give back...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Thanks So Very...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37509393692)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+