Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Pavoni Pub V
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Pavoni Pub V  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mlewis42
mlewis42
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 6:14pm
Subject: La Pavoni Pub V

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? Mine is a ca. 1989. I bought it about 7 years ago in an almost brand new condition. We make 3-4 cappucinos a day, so very light use.

I think there is a faulty pump. It has a pump I installed below the counter to fill it, but I'm talking about a pump that pushes the water through the grounds. It seems like a weak flow and the coffee is really bitter.

It also seems to be making strange noise when the pump kicks on. An extra whirring sound.
thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
ProtoTech
ProtoTech
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 7:58pm
Subject: Re: La Pavoni Pub V

From what your describing, it sounds like the water pump is being deprived of water.  Does the machine have a single or dual pressure guage?  If it's a dual, check the pump pressure needle and see if it moves to on or around 8. If not, your problem could be in your pump system that delivers the water to the unit.  As for the bitter taste of the espresso, a new group screen and gasket would help. Also depends on the grind of he coffee, etc etc. Lets take it 1 step at a time though.  Good Luck.
mlewis42
mlewis42

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 6:53am

Thanks for the response! I think it has dual pressure, one shows pressure that can be adjusted with the pressure switch, and one shows the pressure when pulling a shot. I disconnected the line from the external pump to the machine and turned it on just to see if it was working. It did up the pressure of the water coming thru the line, but not as much as I expected. I reconnected the hose and tried to pull a shot. The machine has been off for several weeks. Now it makes a horrible screeching sound when you try to cycle it. I'm wondering if one of the solenoids has failed and not allowing water to flow thru the machine? I'll upload some pictures of the unit
mlewis42
mlewis42

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 7:27am

Some pictures of my machine

mlewis42: IMAG1573 (1).jpg
(Click for larger image)
mlewis42
mlewis42

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 7:29am

Data plate

mlewis42: IMAG1572 (1).jpg
mlewis42
mlewis42

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 7:31am

Pressure guage

mlewis42: IMAG1582_1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Bluedogbrewery

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 2:24pm

I just bought one of these things.

You might try changing out the group head screen before you do anything more costly.  The screen comes in two types - one with a hole in the middle that can accommodate a screw and another that is a press fit (See link below - part F.228).  

http://www.espressoparts.com/p1p3solenoidgroup

Good luck!
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 2:38pm

Few points:
remove the showerscreen for inspection as mention above,
remove the gigluer filter screen for inspection (descale if necessary) and make sure the gigluer is nice and clear

also if you have a softener cartridge style make sure is not over due for replacement therefor restricting the flow

check also that there are no filter screen on the water line see example here
Click Here (espressocare.com)
which could be located on any of the water lines fittings or the entry of the machine main one

solenoid valve clear and not gummed up

a lot of scale in the heating exchanger path (flowmeter has very small holes easy to get clogged)

last pump however if your pump is not getting enough water you can tell by the noise pitch that will make
if is only an adjustment issue while you are dispensing from the grouphead adjust the bypass pump screw so your gauge reads 8/9 bar

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Bluedogbrewery

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 12:00pm

I'm in the process of reconditioning my PUB V and I've run into a problem:  When I push the button to pull a shot (single or double), the motor and pump both run, but water does not flow from the group head.  A bit of steam and some dropplets exit from the group, but certainly not enough to pull a proper shot.  However, the brass in/around the group head gets very hot as if the hot water is nearly exiting, but a valve may be preventing proper operation.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be preventing normal water flow from happening at the group head?  Could it be associated with my solenoid perhaps?

Thanks for any input you can share with me.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Pavoni Pub V  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.466300964355)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+