Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nuova Simonelli Oscar issue
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ianpirro
ianpirro
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 5:51pm
Subject: Nuova Simonelli Oscar issue

Hello,
I recently purchased a used Nuova Simonelli Oscar machine, it is in very good condition and seems to have been well taken care of. The only thing I am noticing is when running water through the group head it does not seem to flow correctly and after it is stopped it will sometimes drip water out a few seconds later. I tried running without the dispersion screen and it seemed to flow regularly and not leak after stopping the water. If anyone has any suggestions on how I could fix this I would really appreciate it. I realize this is probably a bad explanation so I have put a video of it here Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Thanks,
--ian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:07am
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar issue

Mine drips after I cut the pump off also.  Always has, but your stream seems thin and weak to me. Those vibe pumps need replacing after a few years, how old is the pump?

This is not a perfect pull but I have a lot more water coming out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71JoPxbBtLA

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
ianpirro
ianpirro

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 10:50am

I realized right after this that the water level was low and the light came on, which may have contributed to the weak stream? Usually it is a much stronger stream but certainly not as strong as shown in your video. I recently bought this from an older lady who was using it in a small "cafe" (it was really just a countertop with some snacks, a drip coffee maker, and this machine) in a jewelry store in a small town. By the looks of the "cafe" I would be surprised if the machine was used more than 50 times in it's life so far. I assume the machine is a few years old, it is possible that it needs a decent cleaning as it seemed that she was just using pre-ground espresso and the plastic tamper that came with the machine. Overall the machine is basically in perfect condition, if I can't figure it out I'll probably have it looked at, as I got ( what I feel ) was a pretty good deal on the machine, and putting a few more bucks into it seems worth it for sure. The group head gasket does seem to not be perfectly seated, maybe that has something to do with this issue? As I stated with the dispersion screen and nut removed it seems to be functioning fine. Thanks for the response
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 11:12am

Ok, right away replace the gasket, $7 and you do it every 6 months or so, more often if you leave it on 24x7. (I buy 2 at a time because it is cheap and the shipping adds to the price so might as well just get a years worth at a time)   Every time I get parts I tend to order one, I need to do that now in fact.  That has nothing to do with anything but the seating of the PF. The water flow is the pump or maybe the lines have to be descaled.  How hard is the water in the town it came from??

Then I would go a head and look at the date on the pump but I would probably buy a pump anyway they are $50 and often need replacing in 3-5 years and I think your pump is weak based on how it looked to me. (chriscoffee has both and free shipping at 50$. also Espressoparts has free parts shipping all the time and has both as well)  You can also get a new screen they are like 5$ and get you some good baskets, I hate the NS ones.  I also got a machine shop to chop off the bottom of one of my baskets to make it naked and I could work on my prep.  It shows you fast that you need work on your prep.  I always have a sprite or 2.  

I got VST baskets but at least get better ones.  Don't bother with the single it is a pain, just use the double basket.

Coffeenoobie

ianpirro
ianpirro

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 11:53am

I actually ordered some gaskets right after purchasing the machine as I figured I might as well replace it, so I'll do that. I am not sure how the water is in the town I got it from. I suppose I'll just grab a new pump, as my machine is clearly far off from the the machine in your video, and see how that goes. Thanks again for the advice,
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:15pm

When you remove the pump you might be able to see scale on the parts and if you do you know it needs cleaning.  You can also check your water probe to gauge how bad the boiler is.

Coffeenoobie

ianpirro
ianpirro

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:29am

So it looked like it needed a decent cleaning, it now performs how I expected for the most part. Thanks again for all the advice.

One more question regarding the water after the pump is shut off.

Here it is with the shower screen on ( watch the whole thing to see what I am referring to )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvQwtarOjxk

What may cause this? Is this normal, and if not any suggestions? It doesn't bother me too much, only that it does this into the puck making it pretty messy.

Heres a video with the screen removed to show that it stops right away without that late drip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0CzhlZCjs

I attached a photo of the screen and nut, look to be in good condition?

ianpirro: photo (1).JPG
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 10:43am

Nut?  Could it be a pod machine?  Mine doesn't have a nut.  Mine looks like a brass disk, screw and screen.  My brass part has only 4 holes and I believe is larger than that pod one linked.

http://www.espressoparts.com/S_377?&search_id=2045121

Coffeenoobie

ianpirro
ianpirro

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:01am

I'm not sure exactly why that is there but after a  quick look... I see the nut found here Click Here (www.espressoparts.com) which is for their commercial machines, maybe someone mistakenly put this on in?  After looking at the parts digram on the NS site, that definitely seems to be the wrong part in there. Any chance there is a place I can get just the brass diffusion disk? Otherwise I see one on chris coffee but it is a kit with some more baskets and stuff.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:07am

I have never seen it sold by itself but you can call NS.  Their shipping charges are high and you need a minimum purchase.  I would probably get it with the extra screen and nut.  Both can need replacing.  I did not realize that but after Plindy worked on my machine he replaced my screen and it is nice.  Not that my other screen was that bad.  It did have a scratch on it.  In fact he took my old one apart expecting to see it have tarred coffee cooked on under it and he said it was the cleanest screen he had ever taken apart.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398874998093)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+