Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:14pm
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

Well, I have (almost) given up on making good espresso at home. The McDonald's is just better than mine and I don't think it is the flavorings, I think it is the coffee.

I had another caramel mocha yesterday at MD's and their coffee definitely has a better taste than what I can make at home with fresh coffee and a CC1 and a VarioW. I am not saying its not me, but obviously, if it is, I don't have the taste buds that can fix it.

One thing I think I noticed yesterday is that McDonald's uses Caramel sauce, not caramel syrup flavoring.  I don't know if this would add much to the end product or not.
 View Profile Link to this post
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:19pm

DeanOK Said:

One thing I think I noticed yesterday is that McDonald's uses Caramel sauce, not caramel syrup flavoring.  I don't know if this would add much to the end product or not.

Posted April 14, 2013 link

Sauce gives a much better, richer flavor in my experience.
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:23pm

DeanOK Said:

Well, I have (almost) given up on making good espresso at home. The McDonald's is just better than mine and I don't think it is the flavorings, I think it is the coffee.

I had another caramel mocha yesterday at MD's and their coffee definitely has a better taste than what I can make at home with fresh coffee and a CC1 and a VarioW. I am not saying its not me, but obviously, if it is, I don't have the taste buds that can fix it.

Here is what is in their caramel sauce

Caramel Syrup:
Sugar, water, fructose, natural (plant source) and artificial flavor, salt, caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative), citric acid, malic acid.

and the ingredients in the mocha

Whole Milk, Espresso, Chocolate Caramel Syrup, Whipped Cream, Caramel Drizzle

Caramel Drizzle:
Corn syrup, sweetened condensed milk (milk, sugar), high fructose corn syrup, water, butter, sugar, salt, pectin, disodium phosphate, artificial flavor (vanillin, ethyl
vanillin), caramel color (with sulfites), potassium sorbate (preservative).

Chocolate Caramel Syrup:
Sugar, water, fructose, natural (plant source) and artificial flavors, chocolate liquor, caramel color, (with sulfites), salt, sucralose, gellan gum, potassium sorbate
(preservative), citric acid, malic acid, red 40

I think it will be difficult to match the taste with this LONG list of all kinds of ingredients including artificial sweeteners, gums, HFCS and different flavorings.
cuznvin

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:39pm

You also say the "coffee" has a better taste.. Are you saying the drink itself has a better taste or the actual coffee. You probably cant taste much of the actual coffee.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 9:01pm

I agree, I suggest you taste just the coffee they use for the mocha drinks so you are comparing apples more or less to apples.  Maybe you just don't like the taste of espresso.  I don't like the taste of plain drip coffee.

When I first started this rabbit hole I wanted to make the frappicinnos you get in the bottles at the stores.  At first mine did not taste as good.  After about 6 months or so I started thinking mine were slightly better than the store bought ones.  I had one the other day and I thought it tasted thin, weak and mostly just sweet.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 2:21pm

cuznvin Said:

You also say the "coffee" has a better taste.. Are you saying the drink itself has a better taste or the actual coffee. You probably cant taste much of the actual coffee.

^^ This +1

Granted I'm working from memory of a Mickey D's mocha from probably a year or more ago, but I recall it being super sweet, mostly sugar (not chocolate). It's pretty much accepted fact that the more sugar you put in something, the more it appeals to "the masses". I used to go to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and get their mochas every day, which later I found out was mostly sugar with some dutch cocoa powder thrown in for color. I used to love it. Then I started trying more refined mochas, and places like Intelligentsia (Los Angeles) and Blue Bottle (San Francisco) became my favorites. Coincidentally they both use TCHO chocolate (San Fran based) which is mostly chocolate and much less sugar.

It took a bit of palate refinement but now I fully enjoy that style of mocha, where you can taste both the coffee and the chocolate (as opposed to sugar) and even bought the TCHO drinking chocolate crumbles to make them at home. Recently I went back to The Coffee Bean with a friend and ordered my old standby and found it undrinkable.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:50pm

cuznvin,
  Thanks for posting that list of ingredients. I think it points towards a lot of the problems we are dealing with in this post. The beverage made with those ingredients, I do not consider food. It is a laboratory product carefully devised, dare I say fabricated, to create a consumable product with specific mouth feel, taste, and the ability to make it at any time, anywhere and have the same exact properties each time. It is a problem in this society with not only the "hot milk shakes" that pass as coffee but throughout the fast food industry and the food supply in general.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:58pm

frcn Said:

cuznvin,
  Thanks for posting that list of ingredients. I think it points towards a lot of the problems we are dealing with in this post. The beverage made with those ingredients, I do not consider food. It is a laboratory product carefully devised, dare I say fabricated, to create a consumable product with specific mouth feel, taste, and the ability to make it at any time, anywhere and have the same exact properties each time. It is a problem in this society with not only the "hot milk shakes" that pass as coffee but throughout the fast food industry and the food supply in general.

Posted April 16, 2013 link

soooo true..
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 5:47pm

Just made a Mocha with Nutella, Tornai Caramel Syrup, a double espresso and 6 oz of steamed milk. It had a nice flavor, but a little too sweet... and the nice flavor had no coffee taste to speak of. Not the same after taste as the MD's. But it was good, but not much coffee flavor. I think next time I will cut the Nuttella back a bit and maybe the milk too and see if that helps.

Edit: I used Caramel Sauce, not Caramel Syrup
cuznvin

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:50pm

DeanOK Said:

Just made a Mocha with Nutella, Tornai Caramel Syrup, a double espresso and 6 oz of steamed milk. It had a nice flavor, but a little too sweet... and the nice flavor had no coffee taste to speak of. Not the same after taste as the MD's. But it was good, but not much coffee flavor. I think next time I will cut the Nuttella back a bit and maybe the milk too and see if that helps.

Edit: I used Caramel Sauce, not Caramel Syrup

Posted April 17, 2013 link

Why would you use Nutella that is made from Hazelnuts?  The McD Mocha ingredients didnt seem to contain any nuts, did they?
showing page 8 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.448554992676)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+