Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

I started with less milk and that made it easier to cut down the sugar...  I agree about the sweetener.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:58pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

As my shots got better the amount of milk, sugar and flavorings have gone down.  A lot.

Posted March 23, 2013 link

+1

Before I found CG, thank you Raisin,  I did not know why my fresh coffee tasted different from when I ordered 5lbs and when I finished it. Before coffee geek a blade grinder was all I knew that ground beans. Before coffee geek I bought roasted coffee beans by color and oils. That has all changed now.
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:19pm

germantownrob Said:

WTF, take the preaching and do something useful with it please.

Why so snarky? Yes you did answer the question by suggesting the OP use more sugar. Don't you find it odd that you are providing support for the 'big mac' of coffee and suggesting that it be used as the daily drink of the OP. In a coffee forum, I think you could expect many here to suggest the OP learn to like COFFEE, not sugar bombs.

IMO the OP either needs to learn how to make better coffee or learn how to appreciate flavors other than sugar and fat. That doesn't mean you can't make a 'treat' every once and awhile as you state you do. Sometimes people don't just need the answer that they think they are looking for (how to make my coffee taste like a sugary fatty mess), but maybe could use some guidance toward the question that they should be asking (how do I make better coffee or learn to like it without sugar and fat)

PS

germantownrob Said:

I am married to a family doctor and know all to well what she sees...

How is your partner's occupation relevant to the diabetes and obesity problem in North America? Not trying to be a jerk here, but this seems like a silly attitude. Don't want to cause any friction here in future posts because I find we are usually on the same page, just don't get where the tone of this post came from.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:37pm

diggi Said:

Why so snarky? Yes you did answer the question by suggesting the OP use more sugar. Don't you find it odd that you are providing support for the 'big mac' of coffee and suggesting that it be used as the daily drink of the OP. In a coffee forum, I think you could expect many here to suggest the OP learn to like COFFEE, not sugar bombs.

IMO the OP either needs to learn how to make better coffee or learn how to appreciate flavors other than sugar and fat. That doesn't mean you can't make a 'treat' every once and awhile as you state you do. Sometimes people don't just need the answer that they think they are looking for (how to make my coffee taste like a sugary fatty mess), but maybe could use some guidance toward the question that they should be asking (how do I make better coffee or learn to like it without sugar and fat)

PS

How is your partner's occupation relevant to the diabetes and obesity problem in North America? Not trying to be a jerk here, but this seems like a silly attitude. Don't want to cause any friction here in future posts because I find we are usually on the same page, just don't get where the tone of this post came from.

Seriously?

Honestly if you want to have an email conversation about any of this I am more then happy, I am a stay at home dad, lots of time for typing but no time for talking with a 2 and 5 year old.
diggi
diggi

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:44pm

Lets just agree to disagree.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:48pm

diggi Said:

Lets just agree to disagree.

seriously we could probably have fun in an email chat.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:53pm

frcn Said:

That much processed sugar will eventually catch up with you.. and run you over.

Add up all the sugar you are consuming. Processed foods (like catsup and such), softy drinks, "lattes,"  etc. Don't forget corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and other "hidden" sugars.
These concentrated sugars mess with your taste buds and you develop a desire for them. hen you start using artificial sweeteners and your body says, "YA! But where is the sugar you got me addicted to?" So the craving continues.

Seen the same this with salt. Folks just have an automatic response to use the salt shaker on their food before ever tasting it.  It is like trying to get someone accustomed to decades of Folger's Instant to try quality coffee. They won't like it. They are accustomed to the processed food taste.

I got to where I am in terms of diet over a period of a few decades, starting back in about 1975. The start? We began reading labels because my wife wanted to lose a little weight, and ignorantly, we assumed that it was just sugar causing it, so we started just looking for sugar in the ingredient lists. We started seeing a lot of other things and wondered, "What the heck is that?" So read labels and question what is in your food. Use the Internet to find information about the ingredients which are not part of nature. Many (if not all) should be avoided. Some for their direct health concerns over time, and some which are added to "protect" you from the fact that the food needs these preservatives, colorings, and flavorings because the product is of low quality to begin with and handled in a manner that increases profit and lowers quality in terms of nutrition.

People use to make fun of the "hippies" who turned vegetarian and preached natural foods and getting back to the land. But walk through any supermarket and look at the number of people you see whose bellies hang over their belts (or worse), have pasty complexions, and are out of breath just pushing a cart down the aisle. Obese children use to be quite rare when I grew up. I think there was one in our neighborhood. Look at a schoolyard today. A very different place in terms of body mass.

Having a "sweet tooth" could easily be looked upon as a sugar addiction.

BRAVO Randy!! BTW.. even something listed as "natural flavor" on an ingredient list can be something like MSG...
diggi
diggi

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:00pm

germantownrob Said:

seriously we could probably have fun in an email chat.

I'm confused by this comment. Are you just being 'cute' in which case, I'll just respond with :). Or are you trying to annoy me? In which case, I'm not upset as you can tell by the tone of my posts. I'm not going to get upset either. Just a little confused as to why you appear to have reacted this way to another members post who you didn't happen to agree with. That's all my post was about. Nothing more complicated than that.
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:08pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

As my shots got better the amount of milk, sugar and flavorings have gone down.  A lot.

Yeah, this.  

Before I got into coffee, I could never stand anything at Starbucks, so I drank hot chocolate.  Then, I got to where I could tolerate mochas, but they still weren't good.  (I had a lot of meetings at Starbucks)  When I started making my own espresso, the goal was to make something as good as Starbucks (LOL).  That was a very easy goal.

I cut out almost all the sugar from my diet because it is poison.  I also started making good espresso at home.  Once I did that, I realized the breadth of very subtle flavors in espresso.  What is called "sweet" in espresso is nothing like sugar, but it is so much more complex and interesting.  Cutting out sugar also gave me a much better appreciation for naturally sweet things.  Even unsweetened ice tea tastes sweet if you are not saturating yourself with sugar all the time.

I'd suggest the OP try laying off the ultra sweet drinks for a while and see what happens.  I can't image drinking a mocha now.  Blech.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:11pm

diggi Said:

I'm confused by this comment. Are you just being 'cute' in which case, I'll just respond with :). Or are you trying to annoy me? In which case, I'm not upset as you can tell by the tone of my posts. I'm not going to get upset either. Just a little confused as to why you appear to have reacted this way to another members post who you didn't happen to agree with. That's all my post was about. Nothing more complicated than that.

It is what it says, we would probably have a good email chat because we see eye to eye on many things. However I have little tolerance to righteousness, whether religion, health or anything else. Of late threads are taking this path with zero mod intervention, we seem to not be able to stay on topic with out them, seems a shame when it is senior members derailing threads over and over. And her I am to blame again.
showing page 5 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.612390995026)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+