Espresso: Espresso Machines
Which Bottomless Portafilter for Quick Mill Vetrano
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which Bottomless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mariog7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:56pm
Subject: Which Bottomless Portafilter for Quick Mill Vetrano

So many online - what do you think?  Would any E61 fit?  These two seem reasonably priced - what do you think?

http://www.espressoparts.com/F_354B
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Also, can I dose this triple basket to only 18g and will it taste normal?  Or can I use my existing stock double basket?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 5:10pm
Subject: Re: Which Bottomless Portafilter for Quick Mill Vetrano

I think there are only three locations the E61 group is made and they're all standard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they're basically all the same specifications so any "E61" portafilter will fit--but check the "wings" orientation. My Crossland Portafilter fits the E61 group but it's completely crooked when fully locked it.

With that basket you should consider the tapered edge of the basket. I've run into the issue of dosing too little in a basket and my tamper getting stopped on the basket shape before the coffee is fully tamped. There is more space for the water to splash and ruin the integrity of the puck so I could foresee channeling but you could probably get away with 1-3g short of the rating and a finer grind. I dose my 17g VST with 16 or 18g and there are no issues.

Your current double should fit just fine though.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:20pm

Either of those portafilters will fit fine.  They're probably identical.. Factory Cut E-61 stock portafilters.

Furthermore, the two Rancilio branded bottomless portafilters that Chris Coffee sells, will fit.. those are what he sells for his E61 machines.  The Rancilio ergonomic is really nice, but if having the Rancilio logo on it bothers you, it might not be for you.

You can even use La MArzocco portafilters in an E61 group if you sand down the basket ridge a little bit.  I personally ONLY use La Marzocco portafilters in my E61 machine(s).  Takes about 5-10 minutes of filing or sanding, but the portafilters are very nice so to me, its worth it.

The bottomless portafilter is just a portafilter.  You can put any basket in that you want too.  Triple, double, single.. whatever.

Wanna dose 18grams in a big triple?  Sure.  Its a little low, there will be a lot of headspace so you'll need to tighten up the grind some, but go ahead, it'll work just fine.  Or, take your double basket and pop it in the bottomless.   Just to say, it would be worth a weekend or two learning how to use that big triple basket with like 23-24grams of coffee and a chocolate heavy blend.  Its just one more way of making delicious coffee, so when you're in the mood for a super thick and rich triple ristretto, you can make one.  I like making two to three triple shots for when Im making a travel mug, cuz 16oz mug, thats a lot of milk.  So, three triples cuts through it nicely.. its like a big, regular cappuccino.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
mariog7

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:34pm

Perfect, thank you.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Which Bottomless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380560874939)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+