Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 1:58pm
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

I personally don't like redbird much in milk drinks. Never had it as a mocha, but for me, I'd try a different coffee for that purpose.
 View Profile Link to this post
JPatrick

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 4:25pm

While it's been years since I've had a mocha from either place, I'd wager that both drinks are much sweeter than what you're making at home.

Next time you try it at home... try the following?

Pull your shot of espresso over about a teaspoon of condensed milk.
Stir the heck out of it.

Then, put your chocolate syrup in the milk before you steam it.
(Or, use bits of sold chocolate... and steam the milk with it inside).

The condensed milk will not only sweeten your drink, it'll give it a bit of thickness without resorting to adding other things.

I've actually got a bottle of condensed milk in the fridge (and little chocolate bars in the cupboard) for when folks drop by who love the sweet drinks from Starbucks.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 5:20pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Try other chocolates and flavors..

Posted March 22, 2013 link

Chocolate quality and its taste varies widely. Instead of syrups, make some quality beverages. You can use quality dark chocolate and melt it with the steam wand. Also, as stated above, most of those commercially made beverages have a lot of added sugar as well as increased fat content. We often refer to them as hot milk shakes.

Also, look at it this way. You can buy Jack Daniels and like it, but when tasting Macallan you might be put off at first. Try getting use to properly made beverages so that the fast food tastes bad to you.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 6:34pm

I just made a caramel mocha. I usually use Hershey's syrup for chocolate, but tonight I used Starbucks Mocha Powder (about a teaspoon).  For syrup, I used 1.5 oz  Torani Classic Caramel. Espresso was a double shot, and I steamed about 6 oz of whole milk.

It was not nearly as good as the McDonald's mocha I had this morning. I will say it was not nearly as sweet and the caramel flavor was not as strong either.

Yes, I do know I like the milk drinks... and it's becoming obvious that the coffee flavor, while important, is not the only flavor that drives my pallet.

Commenting on same things I mentioned earlier in this thread, I did see that Elemental now sells their coffee in an online store... so I do now have a source. I may give them another try.
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 6:47pm

Does McDonalds actually use espresso or do they use brewed coffee?  Have you tried caramel sauce instead?   Or maybe add a little vanilla syrup to sweeten it up.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 6:58pm

tinytot2 Said:

Does McDonalds actually use espresso or do they use brewed coffee?  Have you tried caramel sauce instead?   Or maybe add a little vanilla syrup to sweeten it up.

From McDonald's web site:
At McDonald’s McCafé, you can choose between several gourmet coffee choices: cappuccinos, lattés, and iced and hot mochas. They’re brewed with rich, bold espresso and made with real steamed milk, real chocolate and whipped cream.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 7:13pm

DeanOK Said:

- I usually use Hershey's syrup for chocolate
- tonight I used Starbucks Mocha Powder
- Torani Classic Caramel.
- Espresso was a double shot,
- and I steamed about 6 oz of whole milk.
It was not nearly as good as the McDonald's mocha .

*1 INGREDIENTS - Pure cane sugar, water, natural flavors, citric acid, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness).

The espresso - If it didn't taste good straight, it won't help the quality of the finished beverage. Since we can't taste it, you have to be the judge.
The Milk - The quality of the milk also matters. Cows raised better with less stress and fed higher quality feed give better milk.
The rest of the ingredients I wouldn't allow into my home. Even my dogs eat food that is preservative-free. The cats as well, I believe. Just saying.

Modern "science" can make cat littler taste like chocolate, but that doesn't make it food. Don't mean to preach (much), but the actual ingredients of the MacDonald's product could be a lot of things. Added sugar and fats with artificial flavorings can go a long way towards making a low quality beverage taste quite good. Quite the same, at least to some extent, can be said of Starbies, although between the two. the Bucks seems to have a number of products that are natural, at least more so.

But if that is the direction you are going, lots of sugar, whole milk, a quality chocolate would make instant coffee taste good.

I prefer food in my food.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:33am

frcn Said:

*1 INGREDIENTS - Pure cane sugar, water, natural flavors, citric acid, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate (to preserve freshness).

From their website nutritional calculator: Medium carmel lattee
230 Calories (Not as much as I thought, but still a 'treat' not something you should be drinking regularly; same as a kit-kat bar)
6g   fat (5g saturated; 0.2g trans-fat)
31g sugar

You can try to match the fat and sugar content by ingredient labels if you so choose; I'd not be making this a daily beverage....
Certainly for those with multiple drinks of coffee daily, this would be a huge (pardon the pun) mistake

EDIT: Sorry that was for Tim Horton's. Here is the one for Micky D's:
Medium Carmel Mocha
390 Calories (Even Worse)
14g Fat (8g saturated)
50g Sugar

Yikes! Try adding that much sugar at home (weigh it out) and see what it looks like; may make you evaluate how difficult it would be to taste how GOOD the COFFEE is.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:16am

diggi Said:

EDIT: Sorry that was for Tim Horton's. Here is the one for Micky D's:
Medium Carmel Mocha
390 Calories (Even Worse)
14g Fat (8g saturated)
50g Sugar

Yikes! Try adding that much sugar at home (weigh it out) and see what it looks like; may make you evaluate how difficult it would be to taste how GOOD the COFFEE is.

Posted March 23, 2013 link

It is hard to add something sweet without there being a ton of sugar, I guess the nature of being sweet. 2 Tbsp of Ghiradelli chocolate sauce is 24g of sugar and .5g of fat, I will use 3 Tbsp for a mocha or hot chocolate the rest of the fat is milk dependent.  my sugar in the raw weighs 10g per Tbsp, 2.5 Tbsp of sugar in my 2 Tbsp of chocolate sauce.

There is a good Alton Brown recipe for room temp stable chocolate sauce that is good for a week to two and fairly simple to make. Click Here (www.foodnetwork.com)
diggi
diggi

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:38am

germantownrob Said:

It is hard to add something sweet without there being a ton of sugar, I guess the nature of being sweet.

Posted March 23, 2013 link

Sure. My points were:
  1. Sugary drinks aren't good for you; maybe try to learn to wean out the bad stuff
  2. Sugary drinks have soo much other stuff in them that it's hard to taste the coffee
  3. OP is comparing a mountain of bad stuff to a significantly healthier option

IE:
1tsp mocha powder:
calories 12
Fat       0.12g
Sugar   2g

1.5 Oz syrup:
calories 120
Fat        0
Sugar    28g

6 Oz whole milk:
calories 102
Fat       6g
Sugar   6g

Total:
Calories 234
Fat        6.12g
Sugar    36g

Compared with: (mind you, below is for medium and I'm not sure what size the OP ordered)
Calories 390
Fat        14g
Sugar    50g

No wonder one tastes different. But I'm guessing the OP wouldn't add that much stuff at home.
showing page 2 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477156162262)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+