Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:54am
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

germantownrob Said:

It is hard to add something sweet without there being a ton of sugar, I guess the nature of being sweet. 2 Tbsp of Ghiradelli chocolate sauce is 24g of sugar and .5g of fat, I will use 3 Tbsp for a mocha or hot chocolate the rest of the fat is milk dependent.  my sugar in the raw weighs 10g per Tbsp, 2.5 Tbsp of sugar in my 2 Tbsp of chocolate sauce.

There is a good Alton Brown recipe for room temp stable chocolate sauce that is good for a week to two and fairly simple to make. Click Here (www.foodnetwork.com)

Posted March 23, 2013 link

Every teaspoon of sugar is 4g.. 2.5 TBLS is 7.5 teaspoons... thats 30 g sugar right there!  Plus the 36 from the Ghirardelli... 66g sugar.  More than the 50g in the medium latte...
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 6:57am

DeanOK Said:

From McDonald's web site:
At McDonald’s McCafé, you can choose between several gourmet coffee choices: cappuccinos, lattés, and iced and hot mochas. They’re brewed with rich, bold espresso and made with real steamed milk, real chocolate and whipped cream.

Posted March 22, 2013 link

But they arent saying what else is in there.. Real chocolate mixed with what? Whipped cream with stabilizers? Corn syrup?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:50am

DeanOK Said:

I just made a caramel mocha. I usually use Hershey's syrup for chocolate, but tonight I used Starbucks Mocha Powder (about a teaspoon).  For syrup, I used 1.5 oz  Torani Classic Caramel. Espresso was a double shot, and I steamed about 6 oz of whole milk.

It was not nearly as good as the McDonald's mocha I had this morning. I will say it was not nearly as sweet and the caramel flavor was not as strong either.

Yes, I do know I like the milk drinks... and it's becoming obvious that the coffee flavor, while important, is not the only flavor that drives my pallet.

Commenting on same things I mentioned earlier in this thread, I did see that Elemental now sells their coffee in an online store... so I do now have a source. I may give them another try.

Posted March 22, 2013 link

If you want it sweeter and more flavorful it makes sense to add more of the ingredients that are doing this job to adjust the flavor to the taste you want. When I want a mocha I want it as a treat so I will use plenty of syrup to make it the way I want. I like my ingredients to be as pure as I can get them, I do not like HFCS or "flavoring", I prefer real sugar and real flavor and when it come to cocoa I like the different kinds for different variations of flavor. However if you like the flavor from HFCS sweetness and "flavoring" the real deal may not do the trick, the good news is there is an endless choice of products made this way.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:55am

cuznvin Said:

Every teaspoon of sugar is 4g.. 2.5 TBLS is 7.5 teaspoons... thats 30 g sugar right there!  Plus the 36 from the Ghirardelli... 66g sugar.  More than the 50g in the medium latte...

That's what they say on the packaging. I weighed my sugar in the raw with a measuring table spoon on a 100th of a gram scale, some scoops where 7.5g, some 10g, and the rest between those numbers. Measuring by volume is anything but accurate.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:00am

cuznvin Said:

Corn syrup?

Are you thinking about High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)? Corn Syrup is not HFCS.
cuznvin

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:10am

germantownrob Said:

Are you thinking about High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)? Corn Syrup is not HFCS.

I am well aware of that.  I was thinking of any type of corn syrup used in commercial products. Neither is good. And natural sugar is still sugar.  It all causes diabetes in excess
cuznvin

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:12am

germantownrob Said:

Measuring by volume is anything but accurate.

Sure isnt.. I owned a bakery and real bakers measure only by weight.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 8:57am

Reading all of the posts, I decided to make a "hybrid" English Toffee Mocha this morning.  My shot was a little long (39 grams) and then I added 3 packets of NutraSweet to my steamed milk (about 7 oz). Used 1 0z of Torani English Toffee syrup and 1/2 oz of Hershey's Chocolate.

Its not too bad. It is pretty sweet, but still lacking the richness and aftertaste that I prefer from the McDonald's drinks. Maybe a different kind of chocolate would help. I think I over did it with the NuraSweet... maybe two packets next time.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:19am

They add stuff to give "mouth feel".

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 9:46am

DeanOK Said:

Reading all of the posts, I decided to make a "hybrid" English Toffee Mocha this morning.  My shot was a little long (39 grams) and then I added 3 packets of NutraSweet to my steamed milk (about 7 oz). Used 1 0z of Torani English Toffee syrup and 1/2 oz of Hershey's Chocolate.

Its not too bad. It is pretty sweet, but still lacking the richness and aftertaste that I prefer from the McDonald's drinks. Maybe a different kind of chocolate would help. I think I over did it with the NuraSweet... maybe two packets next time.

There you go! Experiment and make it better then store bought. If I make AB's chocolate syrup with Hershey Cocoa powder it ends up tasting very similar to Hershey store bought but just changing the Cocoa powder to any of the dozen choices I have at local markets changes the syrup drastically. Maybe try more flavoring and less NutraSweet with what you have and see if that is appealing.

I love Hot Chocolate in the winter and try lots of different pre mix brands all the time, one thing is for sure US packaged stuff directions say to use far less scoops per 8oz of milk then I like and European mixes say to us more scoops then I like, moral of this is I don't follow directions very much.
showing page 3 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.495228052139)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+