Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with oily beans in a super automatic
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with oily...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 2:22pm
Subject: Re: Help with oily beans in a super automatic

sherds Said:

Many thanks for the input!  
- Will avoid Grindz
- Have cleaned it about as much as I can without really taking it apart
- Hooked on a super automatic, it's just so easy
- The every 5th cup error frequency isn't predictable, so can't manage to it
- I'll have to find a coffee roaster and go talk to them.  Maybe get a small amount of a few different coffees that are bold but not oily.

Posted March 21, 2013 link

Plenty of good roasters online, or you could search your local area, never know you may find some so you can try their beans. Charbucks beans are burt beyond recognition and super oily, they do that as they use bottom of the barrel cheap beans and want "consistency" across the stores.

A good medium or dark roast by a good roaster, I guarantee you'll never want to drink Charbucks again.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 3:12pm

sherds Said:

Many thanks for the input!  
- Will avoid Grindz
- Have cleaned it about as much as I can without really taking it apart
- Hooked on a super automatic, it's just so easy
- The every 5th cup error frequency isn't predictable, so can't manage to it
- I'll have to find a coffee roaster and go talk to them.  Maybe get a small amount of a few different coffees that are bold but not oily.

Ben, Welcome to CG!
I see you've been "welcomed" in the usual manner here! LOL
This IS an upwardly mobile group when it comes to coffee, and not many here are fans of the Mermaid, though back in the earlier days I found Gold Coast to be quite nice. It WASN'T oily.

BTW, I must commend you on a very nice attitude, and acceptance of our somewhat opinionated style. (mea culpa as well!)

All this said, If you've spent more than $1500 on your machine, it might be worth sending it back for a thorough cleaning (for convenience get a Keurig, etc while it's gone).
Otherwise, perhaps call the manufacturer and, assuming you're out of warranty, ask tech support what you can do to clean the grinder and pathways.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sherds

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 3:24pm

Love the candor and banter, makes it fun.

Called the mfg and retailer.  Costs $140 to clean, plus shipping both ways, so call it $200.  Tech guy at Whole Latte Love did NOT say that they could clean it well, don't worry about it, do this all the time, etc.  Was a nice person, just didn't give me comfort that I could get another couple years out of the machine without the issue re-occurring (have had it about 2.5 years).  New ones are $600, no tax and free shipping.  I could live with a $200 tax every couple years, but would have liked a bit of certainty.
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 4:00pm

with some of the earlier supers you could service the grinder (and had 18 grind settings) like the gaggia Titanium for example and  I think it came in a office version also, If your still hooked on keeping in the SA arena.
not that I like to recomend SA's but you would atleast be able to service it.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:09pm

The reason you cannot use GRINDZ in a super auto is that a superauto must brew whatever is ground in order to pass it through the system. GRINDZ expands considerably when it comes in contact with water which will cause damage to the brewgroup in a superauto.

Pulygrind crystals do not expand in water and are safe for a superauto.

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

I used them once in my Saeco superauto. I cannot say how effective they really were though as I wasn't specifically having a problem with my grinder and I avoided oily beans.

Can't hurt to try though I suppose.

Also, you can find smaller quantities of Pulygrind on ebay if you just want to try one or two packs before committing to buying more.
sherds

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:26pm

I had not heard of Puly Caff Tablets.  Found their web site, and they say that they clean the grinder of a fully automatic.  The smaller, 1 gram size, sounds right for a residential unit like mine.  I'll order some and give it a try.  Some say the product is expensive, but not when compared to sending it out for cleaning ($200) or buying a new one ($600)!  Many thanks.  (Still will go see my local roaster, which I have identified.)  Have a business trip so if anyone is watching this very closely it may be a bit for my update.

http://www.pulycleaner.co.uk/puly-tablets.html

slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 6:34pm

sherds Said:

I had not heard of Puly Caff Tablets.  Found their web site, and they say that they clean the grinder of a fully automatic.  The smaller, 1 gram size, sounds right for a residential unit like mine.  I'll order some and give it a try.  Some say the product is expensive, but not when compared to sending it out for cleaning ($200) or buying a new one ($600)!  Many thanks.  (Still will go see my local roaster, which I have identified.)  Have a business trip so if anyone is watching this very closely it may be a bit for my update.

http://www.pulycleaner.co.uk/puly-tablets.html

I believe those are really for the brew group versus the grinder. I was under the impression the issue you were having was with the grinder.
espressoplanet
espressoplanet
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: QM, LaSpaz, Rancilio, Izzo,...
Grinder: Baratza, Mazzer, Macap,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bonavita, Behmore, Capresso
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:54pm

slybarman Said:

I believe those are really for the brew group versus the grinder. I was under the impression the issue you were having was with the grinder.

Correct, these look like the standard brew group cleaners that you would use in your by-pass. Maybe these are for if you don't have a by-pass and can pass them through your grinder? Not sure. If you have a by-pass (sorry didn't go back to check what machine you have) just buy urnex cafiza tablets or the brand of tablets from your machine (each mfg. has one) and use those. Cheaper and just as effective. OR if you have a saeco, you can always just remove the brewing unit and rinse it under water to clean it. Not sure how it would help your grinder like slybar mentioned.

Josh.
sherds

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 11:29am

Here's an update, and again thanks for the input and fun banter:

1. Used PulyGrind powder to clean out the grinder.  Put it in the bean hopper and ran it through like it was beans.  I think it helped and have used it a couple times now.  It was the only product I found that could be used in a super-automatic to clean the grinder.  (Yes, still hooked on a super-auto!)
  2. Went to a local roaster (Phoenix Coffee in Cleveland) and was lucky to be there when their coffee geek (what they call him) stopped in.  After a good conversation I got a quarter pound of 4 different roasts.  Didn't like 2 of them, liked the other 2.  One was their espresso blend, one french roast (duh, it's pretty dark and oily).  
  3. At his suggestion, I'm now mixing the 2 I liked, and the machine and my wife are both happy.

Thanks again to all!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 1:26pm

Wife happiness is priceless.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with oily...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.460052013397)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+