Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with oily beans in a super automatic
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with oily...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
dspear99ca

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 4:59pm
Subject: Re: Help with oily beans in a super automatic

I've expanded my horizons quite a lot in the few months I've been roasting beans.  I've tried cinnamon roast (right after first crack) right through to french.  I know I am probably cheating myself, but I still like a dark roast especially in cappucino to balance the sweetness of the milk.  Not black and oily like the "espresso roast" one buys in the grocery store (and from many many roasters... people equate espresso with dark oily beans).  I'd say Full City++ though.  More of the different coffee flavors come through with the lighter roasts, and there are definitely some beans I prefer to roast FC or even a bit less, but overall I, like millions of indoctrinated Starbucks customers, have become accustomed to (and enjoy) the bitterness that comes from roasting into second crack.  So, I can empathize with you.  FWIW, there's little flavor change between a Full City + and french roast other than bitterness, and FC+ is not oily... or, not AS oily and will likely gum up your machine considerably less than anything labelled "espresso roast" in the grocery store or mega-chain coffee place.

For drip coffee and espresso or americano, a lighter roast is a different animal and may take some time to appreciate if you are used to dark.  The aroma, for one thing, can be amazing and you will find that there is a really huge variety of flavors in coffee vs. what you are used to getting at a coffee shop.  I've had people ask me why the coffee I served doesn't taste like coffee... there have definitely been some batches I've roasted that made me go "WOW!  This is different!" and upon reflection realize it was pretty tasty.  Most times I've had espresso at otherwise decent coffee shops, it's been bitter and acrid and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  It doesn't have to be this way, but you'll have to get away from the burnt, oily beans to find out.

I do have one useful suggestion for you:  ask them at Starbucks how they keep their superauto machines clean.  The big hoppers on the top of the copper machines have those same aforementioned dark oily beans in them and they get used all day every day... they must have a good method for keeping them clean.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with oily...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.317775964737)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+