Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic OPV
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
slofox

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:17pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic OPV

My apologies for asking a question that has, no doubt, been asked and answered before but I can't seem to find a ready answer with the search function. Please feel free to refer me to an existant answer if there is one. Otherwise, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't have a pressure gauge to check the accuracy of the OPV setting in the Gaggia Classic, nor enough readies to go out and buy the stuff I'd need. I have done the "approximate" adjustment by backing off the original setting by about 270 degrees.

So. The question. What would I look for to tell me if I am in the ball park? Are there obvious symptoms of either too high or too low a setting? If so, what are they?

In practice, the machine does a pretty reasonable job. But I do think it tends to produce coffee a little on the bitter side, compared to coffee from the same beans at my roaster's shop. (Course they have a commercial machine there which may well have a bearing on the end product...)

FYI. Grinder is an Ascaso, flat burr model with the stonking great brass mounting and the micro-adjustment worm screw.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:24pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic OPV

The only other test I know of is a flow rate test through the OPV - with a blind basket in place or the steam switch on you should get about 125ml in 30 seconds flowing out through the OPV outlet into the water reservoir area.  You'll need to set the machine up to draw water from a glass or similar and to deposit the overflow from the OPV into a measuring glass/jug, then turn the pump on with a blind basket in place (or maybe with the steam switch enabled as well, to keep the group valve closed), and measure the flow rate out of the OPV return.

The test is described here, someway down the page.  This test relies on your pump being about average for these machines, and there being no kinks etc. in any of the lines, and so it's not as accurate as using a gauge.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 1:56pm

Similar, The flow rate of a ULKA pump is about 600-650 cc/min with no back pressure and at 9 bar, the flow is about 250-260cc/min.  If you remove the water reservoir and put a glass of water for intake and an empty glass for output, then you can measure the output.  Use a blind basket to completely obsrtuct the group and run the opv/return tube into the empty outflow glass. Time from first drip out the tube for 15 seconds and measure.  About 60-65 ml is good for 15 seconds.  This is an approximation, but is an easy way to check your blind adjustment.

Flow vs pressure for various ULKA pumps.  The E5 series is commonly used.

Click Here (www.ceme.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
slofox

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 3:16pm

Thank you both - will try that.
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 3:24pm

slofox Said:

I don't have a pressure gauge to check the accuracy of the OPV setting in the Gaggia Classic, nor enough readies to go out and buy the stuff I'd need.

Posted March 20, 2013 link

I was pleasantly surprised that I could buy a 200psi guage for about $10, they may be cheaper than you think.
slofox

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 7:20pm

dspear99ca Said:

I was pleasantly surprised that I could buy a 200psi guage for about $10, they may be cheaper than you think.

Posted March 20, 2013 link

I've already done the price research. Things are dearer at the ends of the earth.
slofox

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 3:07am

Turns out I had the pressure a little low - at least according to the flow method.

I better get a pressure gauge...
slofox

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 12:31pm

OK. So I am back where I started from.

According to the flow test, I had the OPV too low. But after winding it back up a little to get the flow rate right, the taste test was a dismal failure - very bitter coffee. So I have reduced the setting back again and have much nicer end product.

Maybe I should just stick to taste tests, huh.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 7:58pm

Perhaps the bitterness is not a pressure problem.  What is your grind weight and your extraction volume/weight?  What is the temperature?  

A little temperature info below, styrofoamcup method for temperature.

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

Look for how to #7 Brew Temperature. The post is a few years so digital thermometer was not shown, but is necessary. Cut the cup short and put the thermometer through the side. When you get ready to use, heat the cup and particularly the thermometer with boiling/near boiling water. The reason for that will become fairly obvious when you use it. The temperature of the brew water in the cup drops fairly quickly as you try to read it so preheating lets the thermometer read more quickly. Styrofoam is best for the cup because of the low thermal mass, paper can do in a pinch.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16921963

BB&B and you can use 20% off so cheap. Buy 2, so that you can take one apart. Many brands have the thermistor or wiring glued in so get the Polder.

For the second Polder, and surfing, this post. You take the thermometer apart. You may need to heat the steel probe to soften the plastic where it holds the probe. You can find a place to put the wire through the front or top and get the thermistor the boiler. Sometimes you can wedge it in a spot by an existing fasterer, or try high temperature foil tape, glue ...

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

You may have to alter brands or technique at the "end of the earth"  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420692920685)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+