Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2 - pulled the trigger!
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CharityV
CharityV
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Le'lit PL041
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2 - pulled the trigger!

Well, it came down to two "open box" deals - one was for the Andreja, and the other for the Cellini. I ended up going with the Cellini because it comes ready for being plumbed in without having to buy an extra conversion kit. For the moment, it will sit on my counter and I will fill the tank, but I'll start hounding the husband to plumb it in for me. :)

I am so excited! I am going on vacation the day after it arrives, however, so I won't be able to really use it for a couple of weeks. But I didn't want to miss the open box price, since that extra couple hundred dollars will go into my grinder upgrade. Now I just need to decide, get the Vario-W as I originally planned, or go with the Mazzer Mini e Type A at pretty much double the price. Decisions, decisions. I have a feeling the one day I get to fiddle with things before I leave will put into light just how woefully inadequate the new Rocket will find my Rocky doserless to be.

I told my husband "This is the last espresso machine I'll need to buy, honey." We'll see if those words hold true. Honestly, I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade short of opening my own coffee house. (I feel pretty safe, though, since I'm pretty sure the paintball gun he bought a couple of months ago won't be the last one of those he's going to need to buy! It was a deal we made. He got as new paintball gun, I got a new espresso machine.)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:50am
Subject: Re: Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione V2 - pulled the trigger!

Grats on a good deal.  Love good deals.

I like the grinder doing the weighing for me and feel spoiled by that feature. Taste wise the Vario is on par with Super jollys according to people on H-b.  I was under the impression that the mini was not as good in the cup as the jolly taste wise.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:10am

CharityV Said:

I told my husband "This is the last espresso machine I'll need to buy, honey." We'll see if those words hold true. Honestly, I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade short of opening my own coffee house.

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Marriage should be based on honesty!   ;-)

Silvia+Rocky -> VBM Domobar Super+ Rocky -> VBM DS+Mazzer Kony ->
$VBM Domobar Double + $Kony  >  $ I paid for my car  (everything is relative)

But what do I know?   :-D

Eric's grouphead thermometer is HIGHLY recommended. All E-61s should come with it, IMO.
For more detail on the E-61 group, see these two articles on my website:
How-To 18 - Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group
How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
If you want to learn more about how the E-61 group really works, Download the VBM DD Owners manual.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CharityV
CharityV

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:27am

So I might be better off saving my $ and just going with the Vario, then. Good to know!

frcn - Well...I'm being honest atm anyway. If years down the road I genuinely need to upgrade, I guess I'll have to eat my words, lol.

So, for those who have similar machines, do you leave them on all of the time? Run them on a timer for mornings?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:38am

It depends on your habits. If you only drink in the morning then I would put it on a timer. I left mine on 24/7 before I got the vacuum valve.  Now that I can put it on a timer, I do.  I only rarely wish it was on at night.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:53am

I keep late nights, so I usually have mine shut off at midnight and turn on again at 9:45 in the morning. The nice thing about the timer I have is you can program up to 8 each on and off events, so you can really customize it.
CharityV
CharityV

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:03pm

Nice! So theoretically I could have a couple of different on/off times. Normally I drink coffee in the mornings only, but one night a week we have friends over for gaming, and I make coffee for everyone (which will be SO much quicker with the Cellini!) Is there a special timer people recommend, or pretty much any appliance timer will do?

ETA: Of course, now I am obsessing because I won't have it for two more days, and finding and watching every video I can. Steaming milk only takes something like 22 seconds! Wow, it takes me a minute and a half on my Le'Lit.
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:46pm

I have the Cellini Premium Plus (got it open box too) and a refurbed Vario-W from Baratza and I couldn't be happier outside of a $6,000 GS/3. The weight-based grinding is amazingly convenient and the Cellini looks beautiful and produces back to back drinks without any drop in performance.

Congrats on your new setup!
CharityV
CharityV

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 6:39pm

So, it came a day early and arrived this afternoon! All I can say is WOW.

Even using my Rocky, the difference between this machine and my old Le'Lit is night and day. The coffee it produces is already so much more...rich than what I'm used to. I decided to use up 3/4ths of a pound of Bali I had bought to try a week ago to "dial in" Rocky and the new Cellini, since I didn't like the taste of the coffee when I was drinking it earlier. I thought it would be a good test to see if I could tell a difference. And could I ever! I took me three tries to find the sweet spot of the 25-30 second shot, and I could already tell a huge difference in the crema it produced. I actually enjoyed the taste (although it is still not up there with my favorites).

Then the steaming. Holy cow! The steaming is so QUIET and FAST. I expected it to be faster, but honestly, steaming with this machine is a completely different ball game. Not only is it super fast, but it foams the milk so much more efficiently, I have to use a lot less milk than before. 5 oz is now more than sufficient, where before it would not have been.

I can only imagine how much better my lattes will taste after I really learn what I am doing. :)

Also, just the sheer weight and quality of this machine makes me feel like my old one was little more than a toy. And it wasn't. Just, by comparison it really suffers, lol.
Capybaras

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 7:58am

I have the previous Cellini, but I love the additional gauge for the pressure at the brew head...cool!  I wonder if the new insulation around the boiler makes a noticible difference
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.561756849289)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+