Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Planning for my next machine, advice on some machines
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Planning for my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
silvers

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:23am
Subject: Planning for my next machine, advice on some machines

Hello all

Okay so I am fairly new to the world of coffee but am slowly becoming obsessed.  For many years I use to just get by with the local coffee shops in Toronto then I moved away and decided I should get my own machine.  I first bought a used (heavily used) Rancilio Silvia which I quickly updated due to a lot of break downs, I then found a great deal on a Quick Mill Elaine (which is very similar to an Alexia).  I love the Elaine it makes some amazing espresso shots.  

So the reason for the post is I am interested in upgrading, reasons being: the Elaine is a single boiler machine and takes a long time to to make multiple types of drinks.  Pulling a shot just for myself is great but on weekends we generally have a lot of people over and making multiple latte's and americano's can be taxing.  Also the Elaine is not the greatest at steaming milk.  

Before I get into the machines I have been looking into I will answer the suggested questions from the "read before you post topic"

"Standard Questions:
1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  -espresso, latte, cappuccino, americano
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time? min of 2 but commonly make 4-6 and sometimes 8
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week? 5-20
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir? I can do either and want to discuss these options
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit? both 15-and 20 I could also put 240V into my new kitchen
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?" $3000 already have a grinder (MACAP M4 steepless)

Okay so in summary I have a budget of around 3000, make on average 4-6 drinks at a time on weekends and 2 drinks each morning daily.  I make -espresso, latte, cappuccino, americano.  We are moving into a new house in the next year and am looking for options of plumbing the unit in.  Power requirements are also not an issue as I can always plan to have a dedicated circuit for the unit.  

So I think I will be looking into a dual boiler machine.

The units I have looked at are the Rocket R58 the ECM Tecnhika IV and the Alex Duetto.  All three of these units are very similar in looks however I thought the Rocket and ECM felt better built (less wobble in the front when inserting the portafilter).  Out of these I am leaning towards the Rocket for styling.  However I dont love the square box styling.  I love the look of the Faema E61 legend semi, but this is out of my price range.  I also love/drool for the look of the speedster but again out of my price range.  

So my questions are this,

-  Out of the machines I have stated which do you think is the best built, anyone who has lived with these machines I would love to hear from you.

I guess I should say I have read all through the review section but all they tell me is people love all three of these machines.

- what other machines should I be looking into.  I would love to know of some with more than just square cube styling

- Should I look into an Elektra sixties ?

- Any semi auto machines have an auto turn on for turning on in the morning?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:31am
Subject: Re: Planning for my next machine, advice on some machines

Well it is square but I am in lust with

http://londiniumespresso.com/collections/espresso-equipment

The good news is I think my husband could get a good cup from it it can be plumbed or not.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
silvers

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:43am

Hmm very nice.  I have never tried a lever machine but plan on finding a shop where I can try one bc they do interest me.  Something about pulling down on a huge lever.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:09pm

I think you should also look at the Salvatore and the Vibiemme...both manufacturers produce DBs

auto turn on is easily achieved by plugging in a programmable timer

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 1:09pm

The lever is no big deal.  I like that it is balanced so no flush needed and it delivers more flavor.....  I played with one in Seattle.

Coffeenoobie

silvers

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 2:32pm

So the question would be. Do you buy the luxe model. I like the idea of seeing inside.  How was this guy at frothing milk.  Compared to other lever machines.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 2:35pm

I have only used a commercial lever machine other than this one.  But it froths as well.  I like the luxe but I would probably not get it.

Coffeenoobie

silvers

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 3:36pm

Well you started something, I might just have to become obsessed with this machine.  I've watch almost every video I can find and it is beautiful. I never really thought of getting a lever machine before you sent me down this road. I'm wondering now if there are any in Canada.  I saw some of the posts you yes we're making about this machine and what was the conclusion on hooking it up to a 220 v power supply.  Also. When you used it was it easy to go from brewing to frothing and back.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:36pm

yes it is awesome.

Coffeenoobie

cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 6:48pm

emradguy Said:

I think you should also look at the Salvatore and the Vibiemme...both manufacturers produce DBs

auto turn on is easily achieved by plugging in a programmable timer

Posted March 19, 2013 link

The Salvatore DB is $6000..
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Planning for my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.406100988388)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+