Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 84 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:16am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

scanfield Said:

How do you clean your water reservoir? I took it out and used a long-handled scrub brush, but I'm not sure it really did much. I'm thinking about letting the reservoir sit with a weak bleach solution in it overnight. Is that a bad idea?

Posted March 14, 2013 link

I'd avoid using bleach.  The smell of that will not be easily removed and I'm sure, will linger and affect water taste.  

Just let the reservoir sit in a soapy solution over night and then rinse in the morning.  You should be fine.
 View Profile Link to this post
kajitox

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:07am

slybarman Said:

A nice video that explains the workings of the E61 and HX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jn28YTS3OQ

Posted March 12, 2013 link

D: This was such an amazing video that I had to finally stop lurking and make an account so I could thank you.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MDiddy

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:16am

kajitox Said:

D: This was such an amazing video that I had to finally stop lurking and make an account so I could thank you.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

It really is.  

Amazing how simple and yet complex the whole thing actually is.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:49am

Glad y'all found it useful.  They posted another the next day that explained more of the innards.

Edit - I would add that there is another video in that series posted today talking about pre-infusion. Mr. Crossland's take on the usefulness of using the middle lever position on an E-61 with a vibe pump is somewhat at odds with what I had read over the last couple years here and on HB. He makes it sound like some additional pre-infusion can be had via the pressure build up in the HX. I have a hard time seeing how there could really be any pressure in there following the cooling flush.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 1:59pm

scanfield Said:

How do you clean your water reservoir? I took it out and used a long-handled scrub brush, but I'm not sure it really did much. I'm thinking about letting the reservoir sit with a weak bleach solution in it overnight. Is that a bad idea?

Posted March 14, 2013 link

Only use bleach as a LAST resort when there is black mold in a reservoir. Otherwise, non-abrasive dish wash detergent with hot water sitting overnight and rinsed the next morning should be fine. Please do no not place the reservoir in the dishwasher.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
MDiddy

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 7:59pm

Sly,

Would like to ask you one more favor.

You always seem to be able to pour a great rosetta in your pics.  I know you're using the no burn wand with the two hole tip (same as mine), but I just can't seem to get a decent pitcher of steamed milk with this thing.  I'm either getting an iceberg on top, or thin milk with no foam.  Kind of frustrating actually.  I''ve tried all different techniques and can't seem to get it down.

Would it be possible for you to explain your milk steaming technique?   Maybe even perhaps post a small video showing the process?
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 5:25am

MDiddy Said:

Sly,

Would like to ask you one more favor.

You always seem to be able to pour a great rosetta in your pics.  I know you're using the no burn wand with the two hole tip (same as mine), but I just can't seem to get a decent pitcher of steamed milk with this thing.  I'm either getting an iceberg on top, or thin milk with no foam.  Kind of frustrating actually.  I''ve tried all different techniques and can't seem to get it down.

Would it be possible for you to explain your milk steaming technique?   Maybe even perhaps post a small video showing the process?

Posted March 15, 2013 link

Actually, I went back to using the original arm, but only because I really missed my little $1 plastic handle that lets me articulate the arm around easily. There isn't any real difference in steaming between the two arms.

If you are getting an iceberg on top, you are either injecting air for too long at the start and/or you are steaming for too long. I only inject air for about 3 seconds and then I sink the tip. While you are learning, use a thermometer and make sure you stop by about 120f or so. Later you will get a feel for when to stop by feeling the pitcher.

Even if you get an iceberg on top, you can often save the pitcher by swirling the pitcher vigorously on the counter to re-incorporate the stiffer milk into the rest of the pitcher.

I will see about doing a video, but the problem is I need a camera person if there is any hope to really see down into the milk pitcher. While my wife is good at a lot of things, videography does not seem to be one of her talents. :)
grant862

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Portola Coffee Lab (yum)
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 10:15pm

Re steaming...here is what works for me every time (still working on the pouring technique). My Cuadra I has the no burn steam wand w/ the 2 hole tip that comes with that arm. Boiler pressure set to .8 to 1.0 bar. 20 oz pitcher filled just below the spout.

Here's a quick video of my steaming and pouring technique

My biggest suggestion...have the steam wand pointed down...I originally pulled it up so it was at a 45 degree angle in the pitcher, but the sweet spot for me is about 70-80 degrees. The steeper angle creates a much stronger whirlpool than a 45 degree angle. Also, I wait a sec or two before I start foaming for the milk to start swirling in the pitcher (i get less big bubbles in my foam). see here for a better explanation - page 69 of this thread

Hope it helps (btw I used 2% trader joes)
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 4:12am

Nice pour Grant.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 17, 2013, 5:19am

Congratulations La Nuova Era Cuadra owners on a great machine. I thought I read here about a resin ball for water treatment and
how it needs to be rinsed every month???? Could someone give me a breakdown of maintenance routine please? Thank You.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 84 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414219141006)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+