Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with my new Bezzera BZ07 - total newbie
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with my new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jeffu

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 6:52am
Subject: Help with my new Bezzera BZ07 - total newbie

Hi gang - so I pulled the trigger and upgraded from a Gaggia Classic to a brand new Bezzera BZ07 - just arrived yesterday.  I'm a bit lost and need some help.

I have a Rancillio Rocky grinder and it was set at about 14 for grind, tried a pull this morning and there was zero crema - same setting on the Gaggia produced a ton.   Just wondering what setting any other BZ owners may be using?

Also - the owners manual is really really basic - so I just don't know if I'm doing things right.

Backflushing - how do I do it?  
My machine has a PID - so I assume I set it to the temp I want for the shot and let it get to that level and pull, right?  I hear a lot of discussion about "flushing" to cool it down or between shots, can anyone explain that a bit clearer?

Sorry - I've search threads and it's all a bit confusing and sooo time consuming and I'm just not finding what I need.

I will say I'm blown away by the steam!  OMG - nothing like the Gaggia.

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 8:01am
Subject: Re: Help with my new Bezzera BZ07 - total newbie

I made the same upgrade in October last year - PID Gaggia Classic with triple basket in a naked PF to BZ07 with the same triple basket in naked or spouted PF.  There's a lot of changes to procedures to make.

Firstly, it takes a lot longer to warm up than the classic - 30-45 minutes, and it's important to wait for that.

Secondly, the PID controller does not control the brew water temperature, but the steam boiler temperature.  The brew water temperature is controlled by your HX flushing routine.   You should look at this article on using HX machines, as this is very different to the Classic.  The PID controller should be set to something well above boiling, to get the correct pressure in the steam boiler (about 1.1-1.3 bar, depending on your preference - 1.1 works well for me - this should correspond to a temperature of 251-256 F).  You should then run brew water through the group to cool the superheated water in the HX down to brewing temperature (and bring the group up to temperature), before locking in the PF and then brewing.  I find that the process for my machine set at 1.1 bar boiler pressure is to run water through the group until I hear it stop flash boiling as it leaves the group (the sound of the water changes), and then keep running for between 3 and 5 seconds - longer for a cooler brew temperature.   Or you can just flush for 12-15 seconds, without listening, as if the machine is warmed up and been idling for a while, the time to flush is very consistent.  I then lock in the PF and brew immediately.  This is much easier in practise than it is to describe, but I'll try and lay it out here as simply as possible.  

0) set boiler to 251 F.  Wait for machine to warm up and stabilize at this temperature - about 30 minutes from cold -  with the PF in place

1) Prep portafilter basket (grind, dose, tamp).  Place to one side
2) Press brew switch to start flush
3) Wait until the sound of the water changes (stops hissing/burbling), count one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three (or up to five)
4) Press brew switch to stop flush
5) Insert PF in group, press brew switch to start brewing as for Gaggia Classic.

Thirdly, the BZ07's shower screen is very low relative to the PF top - the standard double basket can only just fit a 14g dose in the basket.  Fortunately the triple basket I got with my Gaggia PF fits in the spouted PF, and my Bezzera naked PF has an identical triple basket that can take up to 20-21g dose.  Check your filling of the PF basket by placing a nickel on top of the tamped grinds and fitting the PF and removing it again.  If the nickel is dug deeply into the grinds (or if you normally see an impression of the screwhead), then the basket is too full.  If it doesn't dig in at all, then you could go to a higher dose if necessary.

Fourthly, the Rocky grinder has a fairly big step in grind size between each setting.  You may have to adjust your dose as the beans age to get a consistent extraction time, and you should consider a grinder upgrade to something with much finer or no steps in the future.  The BZ07 will also need a different grind to the Gaggia, as the pressure at the brew head will probably be different, particularly if you hadn't adjusted the OPV in your Classic, and the way that the pressure varies with flow rate will differ due to the different pump and plumbing.  Grind sizes vary between grinders, even of the same model, so someone else's settings will not work.

The brew temperature is probably the main reason for no crema - your posts suggests that you didn't do a flush type procedure, so the brew temperature will be way out.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 8:02am

Oh, and I had to switch from the stock steam tip down to one with only two finer holes to control the steam for making single lattes or capps - the stock steam tip is ridiculously powerful and can steam enough milk for two lattes in about 15 seconds...
caffeinatedjen

Espresso: Bezzera B707
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:35am

The alternate steam tip you can get from 1st Line really helped me, and also you don't have to have the steam on all the way, just press down on the joystick thingy partway if you want. I usually just have it on partway for the stretching part and press further down to finish steaming. And like Dyqik was saying, it really does not like updosing at all.
jeffu

Expertise: Beginner

Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 6:59am

Thanks for all the help guys - I really appreciate it.  I just made my morning cup and "flushed" first - it seems a bit better, I think I just need more practice.

I'm a bit confused about the steam nozzle - the BZ07 I received only has 2 holes, I kept reading on line that most of them had 4 and that was part of the problem.  So when I ordered from 1st Line, I also ordered the 2 hole tip specifically for this machine.  They sent the extra tip I ordered and it also has 2 holes, but it doesn't fit - the threads stick out of the new tip and on the existing tip, the threads are inside.  I guess I'll give 1st Line a buzz.

One other question, I thought the PID controlled the brew temp, not the steam temp - am I mistaken?

Really do appreciate the help - it's such a beautiful machine!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 12:30am

Good on ya, Jeffu!

I just upgraded from a Gaggia Pure..

I did 2 shots so far..  Both gushers..  Hopefully I just have to grind finer..

Loving the steam, too!  Will take some getting used to..  Gaggia took forever to make 2 cappuccinos!

Mine doesn't have a PID..

As for backflushing, this should be done before you turn it off..  Just put the naked basket (the one with no holes in it) into your PF, and hit the brew button for a couple seconds.  Do this 1-2 times, then give the shower screen a good wipe with a clean towel.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with my new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.337098121643)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+