Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine to pair with a Super Jolly
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine to pair...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 10:20pm
Subject: Re: Machine to pair with a Super Jolly

takeshi Said:

If you really want a Silvia I'll happily trade.  That should answer your question.

^ This.  Not sure why the OP seems to think that the Silvia is the machine to get.  Do more research and consider the dates on what you're reading.

Posted March 8, 2013 link

+1

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JustinB

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1, Astoria Argenta
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bunn Axiom DV3, Bunn LPG...
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 11:38pm

Well, I made a decision about what to do finally.  I'm going to sell the SJ and the Epoca tomorrow.  I think they're just too much of a handful.  I don't want to kill the machine from lack of use.

I'm going to buy a Quickmill Silvano and a Baratza Vario instead.  I can drive out to Chris Coffee and pick it up.  Plus if I time my visit right, I can take the Barista training class.  I'm sure I'll learn more there than I could pick up in a month by myself.  I'm all excited now and can't fall asleep.  Or maybe it's the 5 shots of espresso at ten tonight...  Well, thanks for everyone's help.  I'm sure I will have more questions..  Hmm, now to go tamper shopping.
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 2:47pm

Apparently there ARE people who downsize . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JustinB

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:57am

I finally sold the Epoca and SJ last night to someone in my area who is looking to expand their coffee shop to include espresso.  I'm sure glad to have my counter back.

I ordered a refurbished Vario this morning and can't wait to get it.

I am second thinking the QM Silvano though.  I have over the past week made more espressos and cappachinos than I can count and my wife is now addicted which wasn't the case before.  I'd still like a single group machine but I'd like one with more capacity than the Silvano.

I'd want to make 3 or 4 milk drinks in a sitting at least twice a day 7 days a week.  I also like espresso by itself regularly.

I can plumb a machine in if needed as well as drain.  There is a 20 amp circuit as well as a 220 hookup.

My budget is $1000 plus for the machine.  I know some are a lot more but it's a starting point.

I also have a huge preference toward stainless as well as the E-61 group head.  Thanks!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:04am

Talk to Chris he will point you in the right direction.  I would get a low end HX with that kinda cash.  And that is really the step up from what you were talking about.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 11:13am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Talk to Chris he will point you in the right direction.  I would get a low end HX with that kinda cash.  And that is really the step up from what you were talking about.

Posted March 14, 2013 link

This would be a good way to go.
They will not try to sell you more than you can afford, or need, at least till the inevitable upgrade-itus strikes.
Reputable vendors play by the book.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 2:28pm

First,

I would have kept the darn Epoca.  The time will come when you will kick yourself for getting rid of it.  BUT, here we are...

The grinder is a great choice.  Guess what.  Ive got a machine that most will agree is on the top end of the semi-commercial/light commercial market..  And Im using a Vario too.  True, its only temporary, but Im not suffering along with the Vario here.  It produces great shots, as long as you have high quality, fresh roasted Artisan grade coffee, a proper machine, and good technique.

So, Call up Chris, he'll hook you up.

You might think about expanding your budget a little bit.  A couple hundred more gets you, the Quickmill Anita.  A truly underrated machine, my First machine, and also a machine IMAwriter owned as well.  E61 HX, basically IDENTICAL to the Quickmill Andreja Premium which commands a much higher price tag.  The differences are cosmetic, mostly, as well as different valves on the steam/hot water.  What makes the espresso(and what makes the Quickmills great), is the same.  The Anita is a hell of a bargain.

Couple hundred more on top of the Anita, and you can get the QM67.  A PID, E61 DUAL BOILER.  Piece of cake to use dual boilers, which is why they command a premium price tag, and why so many, including myself, own them.

Both of those machines will satisfy any latte lovers need, and be a nice pair to Vario.  Again, call Chris, see what he can do for you.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 2:57pm

Jmanespresso Said:

First,

I would have kept the darn Epoca.  The time will come when you will kick yourself for getting rid of it.  BUT, here we are...

Posted March 15, 2013 link

My thinking as well. But the man has a plan, I'm sure.

You might think about expanding your budget a little bit.  A couple hundred more gets you, the Quickmill Anita.  A truly underrated machine, my First machine, and also a machine IMAwriter owned as well.  E61 HX, basically IDENTICAL to the Quickmill Andreja Premium which commands a much higher price tag.  The differences are cosmetic, mostly, as well as different valves on the steam/hot water.  What makes the espresso(and what makes the Quickmills great), is the same.  The Anita is a hell of a bargain.

Again, call Chris, see what he can do for you.

You have a good memory! The Anita was a jewel. I dabbled with a lever 4 years later and fell in love with the process.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
JustinB

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 8:40pm

I'm having a tough time figuring out which machine to get.  This is starting to remind me of when I bought my first telescope.  Adding $100 here and another $100 there adds up quickly.

I am intrigued by the QM Anita.  It is a heat exchanger which would be nice.  But, the QM Andreja is only $200 more so I could get a direct connect at some point.  Then for just $100 more, I can get the QM Vetrano which has the quieter pump.  But just to throw a curve ball into the mix, the QM67 is the same as the Vetrano and a dual boiler might be better for the large amounts of steaming I seemed to be doing.  So basically for $300 more than the Anita, I can get a dual boiler.  Though the LM GS3 does seem like an option...  Yeah right.

I got rid of the Epoca for a couple of reasons.  It was taking over my coffee bar.  Between it and the SJ, there was no room left for my coffee makers.  My wife said it had to go for aesthetic reasons.  She was expecting polished stainless, not a plastic behemoth.  :)  One of the QM's and the Vario seem like a more traditional setup.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 9:12pm

JustinB Said:

I'm having a tough time figuring out which machine to get.  This is starting to remind me of when I bought my first telescope.  Adding $100 here and another $100 there adds up quickly.

I am intrigued by the QM Anita.  It is a heat exchanger which would be nice.  But, the QM Andreja is only $200 more so I could get a direct connect at some point.  Then for just $100 more, I can get the QM Vetrano which has the quieter pump.  But just to throw a curve ball into the mix, the QM67 is the same as the Vetrano and a dual boiler might be better for the large amounts of steaming I seemed to be doing.  So basically for $300 more than the Anita, I can get a dual boiler.  Though the LM GS3 does seem like an option...  Yeah right.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

An HX with a large boiler will do pretty much just as well as a dual boiler.
What you ostensively gain with the dual boiler is more predictable.programmable temperatures, elimination of the water dance and fewer if any cooling flushes, actually I believe in some cases it's a warming flush.
Purchase what you need, and what you like looking at. Machines in  this class are ALL winners.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine to pair...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453444004059)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+