Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
PID my Silvia, or go CC1?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID my Silvia,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 9:26am
Subject: Re: PID my Silvia, or go CC1?

Sorry, should have clarified a little more.  Put the $200 in an upgrade fund, as recommended by some already, and don't bother with the PID for now.
 View Profile Link to this post
DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 9:57am

crazy4espresso Said:

Sorry, should have clarified a little more.  Put the $200 in an upgrade fund, as recommended by some already, and don't bother with the PID for now.

Posted March 13, 2013 link

going to get the PID.  i have no plans for any upgrades to HX, DB for a long long time.  want the ability to change brew temps, etc.  thanks for feedback
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 2:49pm

DaninMaryland Said:

if i go with the PID'ing the Silvia, do you think it is worth it to pay an extra $35 for steam control?  the single control is only $150, so not as much as i thought.

THoughts?

I started with a PID for Gaggia Classic and did not use steam on the controller. I had the 1/32 DIN SYL 1512 and used PID for brew/idle temperature and the alarm to add heat with pump run.  I explain that as to why I did not have steam run by the controller.  I realized that the steam control is convenient and can actually give more steam power than allowing the steam stat to control.  I then bought a 1/16 DIN PID with PID + 2 alarms.  Yes, I think steam is a great addition.  You can do similar by surfing the steam temperature, but again not convenient.  If you are going to pay for a PID then pay for steam control also. Steam pressure is fairly directly related to temperature.  The OEM stat has a wide range of deadband, or large temperature swing.  The steam alarm temperature can be set 1 degree F deadband and will oscillate around that.  the mean steam temperature and pressure will be higher with PID, unless you are really good surfing and measure the temperature.  See chart for what 20F difference in mean temperature makes in pressure.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

You can save about half of that by DIY, and the difference is obtaining supplies making the wires, already discussed.  You install either way.  You probably get most of the value back in a few years if you sell. Up the price for the PID or remove the PID and reuse or sell.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 3:57pm

DaninMaryland Said:

huh?  when i read all the time about how much better/easier the Silvia with PID and how much it is always recommended on this forum, not sure why i seem to be getting negative feedback on this thread (not necessarily from you, just in general)...also, since when is spending money on upgrades/bling to machines frowned upon on this forum, lol!

just trying to make things easier and better for myself

DaninMaryland Said:

going to get the PID.  i have no plans for any upgrades to HX, DB for a long long time.  want the ability to change brew temps, etc.  thanks for feedback

Seems like you didn't need help on this one because you actually had your mind made up before you even posted your question!  

Enjoy!
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 4:07pm

tinytot2 Said:

Seems like you didn't need help on this one because you actually had your mind made up before you even posted your question!  

Enjoy!

Sometimes you just need to hear yourself say it (or see it in print) to realize your mind is made up.
MJJ

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:53pm

I have the Auber PID with steam control and pre-infusion and have no regrets. I felt like it enabled me to bump things up to the next level with the new found control. This model has the shot timer too, I got the best price direct from Auber's website. I like having the timer and steam control but they aren't really necessary. With the non-steam control model you will still be able to see what the steam temperature is so you can choose when to start steaming. But in the long run the extra $75 to have steam control, timed pre-infusion and timed shots was worth it for me. It's fun to have those extra functions and if you plan on using your Silvia for a few more years you won't notice the $75.
DaninMaryland

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 4:19am

tinytot2 Said:

not true, i had my mind up i wanted PID control, but like i said wanted input to add to my existing machine or buy a new machine with it already on it.

thanks for all that provided productive input.
DaninMaryland

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 4:19am

MJJ Said:

I have the Auber PID with steam control and pre-infusion and have no regrets. I felt like it enabled me to bump things up to the next level with the new found control. This model has the shot timer too, I got the best price direct from Auber's website. I like having the timer and steam control but they aren't really necessary. With the non-steam control model you will still be able to see what the steam temperature is so you can choose when to start steaming. But in the long run the extra $75 to have steam control, timed pre-infusion and timed shots was worth it for me. It's fun to have those extra functions and if you plan on using your Silvia for a few more years you won't notice the $75.

great info, thanks!
tinytot2

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 4:38am

fredk01 Said:

Sometimes you just need to hear yourself say it (or see it in print) to realize your mind is made up.

This is all I meant.  Didn't mean it to come across snarky.  Sorry.
DaninMaryland

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 5:18am

tinytot2 Said:

This is all I meant.  Didn't mean it to come across snarky.  Sorry.

Posted March 14, 2013 link

No worries!  thanks for input!
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID my Silvia,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.50801897049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+