Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Water from steam wand problem.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Water from steam...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
barboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 12:24pm
Subject: Water from steam wand problem.

I bought a used Avanti big bar combi machine. These machines are supposed to be improved Lelit (special order from a Montreal store called Espresso Mali). Mine does pretty decent shots actually BUT milk froating is a problem. When I purge water from the wand prior to froating I can see that there is a lot of water coming from the wand. There is steam but there is also a small jet of water in the center of the steam jet.

What to do?

As a technological neandertal, I don't have a camera but this is the new version of my machine. Note that the wand on my machine is straight, unlike the one on the photo. Click Here (www.espressomali.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 1:38pm
Subject: Re: Water from steam wand problem.

Is it under warranty?  

I am going to guess it is it is not working correctly or it has a "no burn wand" and needs the "no burn" part of it removed to stop the water from condensing.  If it is still under warranty removing that part might void the warranty.  I would call the company and ask about it if it is under warranty.  If not then you have nothing to lose by modding the steam wand.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 1:55pm

It almost sounds like the boiler is full of water and thats what your getting.
barboy

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:16pm

It is not under warranty. Could you elaborate about the "no burn" part?

Same goes about the boiler full thingy ;)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 4:02pm

Is there a constant mix of steam and water, or only when you first open the valve?  It's normal to have to purge water when you first open the valve, if you haven't frothed for even a short amount of time, but that should only last a second or two.

The no burn wands have a plastic tube inside of them that channels the steam down the center of the wand without heating the wand wall - thereby allowing you to hold and manipulate the wand without burning your fingers.  The plastic tube tends to condense steam, so the steam coming out of it is less dry (I suppose this varies from machine to machine).  Some people (myself included) remove the plastic tube to make the wand deliver drier steam, but then you have to insulate it so you don't burn your fingers.  There are rubber sleeves you could buy for this, or you can mold a small piece of Sugru, or attach some sort of heat resistant clip.

If your boiler is overfilling, it could allow water to get through the wand when you open the valve.  This is unlikely, unless someone's been futzing around where they shouldn't or without really knowing what they're doing.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
barboy

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 6:52pm

thanks all for the quick replies :)

The guy who had the machine sold it because he wanted a Nespresso (/facepalm) therefore, he could not passibly have fiddled with the machine. My wand does have some protection over the wand itself but it's in stainless. I'll try to remove it tomorrow morning and see it the steam is dryer.

If the boiler does overfill, would purging some water via the wand before froating do any good or would it keep overfilling anyway?

P.S: Sorry if I'm not clear, english is not my first language...

Cheers!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 7:24pm

I took a look at the photo this time.  That one has a froth-assist wand.  Surely designed to not burn you, but at the same time not quite what Helen was referring to (which I tried to elaborate on).  Not really sure whayt yours looks like based on your description.  A picture is worth a thousand words...so they say.  Could you post one of your machine?  It would help a lot.  Here's a random photo of an espresso machine with the "burn me" wand and the rubber sleeve I was referring to earlier.  It's just the first photo I found on google.  http://www.coffeehomedirect.com/vibiemme/ds1gelne

You didn't say whether the water/steam combo goes away after a couple of seconds purging the wand, or if it's constant.  Maybe you need to check that.  Again, if it goes away within a couple of seconds of having the valve fully opened it's normal.

Regarding the boiler, yeah, if it's overfilled, it will continue to overfill, as the fill level is set by a sensor.  However, it's very unlikely that is the problem.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
barboy

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 8:08am

well removing the stainless tube over the actual wand did really improve on the amount of water coming from the wand. Now after 5-10 secs of purging I cannot see water coming out of the wand so that will do the trick for me!

Thanks a lot dudes and dudettes, very helpfull!!!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:44am

Glad to help.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Water from steam...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430574178696)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+