Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
PID my Silvia, or go CC1?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID my Silvia,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 7:29pm
Subject: Re: PID my Silvia, or go CC1?

fredk01 Said:

FWIW, the CC1 gives you a few more features like preinfusion and timed shots.  I guess it depends what you are looking for.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

Spoken like a man considering an upgrade.

My tongue is burned
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 12:16am

DaninMaryland Said:

For the $200 i would spend to PID her, i could upgrade to a CC1.  Which would you do?

Neither one thing, nor the other, because both machines are still SBDUs. I'd save some more money and go HX.

Let's still consider the options. Apart from delivering you from the need to temperature surf, a PIDed Silvia won't do much to improve the quality of your shots. This might, however, be considered an improvement of convenience. The CC1 on the other hand offers some additional advanced features like programmable pre-infusion and volumetric shot dosing, but since you claim that steaming is not an issue, the extra thermoblock seems superfluous to you. Still, there's even more convenience at hand and a tool to possibly enhance your shots by experimenting with the pre-infusion of the CC1.

So if it's PID or CC1 for you, I'd probably choose the later.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 4:27am

NobbyR Said:

I'd save some more money and go HX.

Posted March 13, 2013 link

+1 Dance with the one that "brung ya" and save for an HX.  I would not purchase to produce exclusively or even primarily straight shots, IMO.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
DaninMaryland

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 6:14am

thanks for all the responses.  if i go with the PID'ing the Silvia, do you think it is worth it to pay an extra $35 for steam control?  the single control is only $150, so not as much as i thought.

THoughts?
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:52am

fredk01 Said:

FWIW, the CC1 gives you a few more features like preinfusion and timed shots.  I guess it depends what you are looking for.

The auber PID has programmable preinfusion and timed shots.:) You already own the silvia. No brainer.
The auber kit is easy to install and directions are excellent.

I believe the pre infusion PID is a bit more $. Its been a long time since i PID,d my old silvia.

If you want to build the pid into the front facia. There is room (top right corner) of facia. You will need a dremel and cutting disk.

Picture here.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/zedex/sylvia.jpg
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 8:17am

A CC1 wouldnt be anything more than a techie upgrade from the sylvia, though it does have the additional steam block. If you really feel the upgrade itch but dont want to go too crazy price wise, try the Breville Dual Boiler: PID, Dual Boiler, A bunch of other upgrades from the sylvia.

PID is really only helpful if you aren't getting consistent shots otherwise. I hear good things for the sylvia, and if you're happy with it why spend the cash?

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DaninMaryland

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 8:48am

acasabia Said:

A CC1 wouldnt be anything more than a techie upgrade from the sylvia, though it does have the additional steam block. If you really feel the upgrade itch but dont want to go too crazy price wise, try the Breville Dual Boiler: PID, Dual Boiler, A bunch of other upgrades from the sylvia.

PID is really only helpful if you aren't getting consistent shots otherwise. I hear good things for the sylvia, and if you're happy with it why spend the cash?

i want to add PID for consistency.  never meant this as an upgrade or anything.  just simply which option.  either way i am looking at roughly $200 to invest, its either spend the $200 to add PID to Silvia, or sell and pay the difference of $200 for a CC1.  this was never meant to be an uprgrade issue, as both machines to me are basically the same.  

the issue was, if you were going to spend $200 either way, what would you prefer, adding PID or getting a CC1?  the option i choose does not impact any future upgrades, etc.

at this point i think i am going to just add PID to my Silvia.  been reading a lot on the CC1.  its still a new product and made in Taiwan.  want to see the long term performance of the machine.  i already know the Silvia inside and out and its east to work on and parts are really easy to get.  thanks for the input everyone.

back to my follow up...is it worth an extra $35 to upgrade to steam control on the PID?
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 9:04am

It sounds to me like you just have an itch to spend $200.  It's not too hard to pull back to back good shots with the Silvia unless you're pulling shots for 10+ people.  I say pocket the money.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 9:12am

DaninMaryland Said:

stuck in a dilema.  i currently have a V2 Silvia.  For the $200 i would spend to PID her, i could upgrade to a CC1.  Which would you do?

Neither.  I'd stick the $200 into my upgrade fund.

DaninMaryland Said:

i want to add PID for consistency.  never meant this as an upgrade or anything.

Well, hopefully you can see why people were confused.  If you look at your OP you literally stated "For the $200 i would spend to PID her, i could upgrade to a CC1.".

DaninMaryland Said:

is it worth an extra $35 to upgrade to steam control on the PID?

Worth's always subjective so you'll get mixed answers.  As indicated on Auber's site, the heater will kick on a bit faster with the PID controlling it.  Whether that's worth it to you or not is your call to make.
DaninMaryland

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 9:22am

crazy4espresso Said:

It sounds to me like you just have an itch to spend $200.  It's not too hard to pull back to back good shots with the Silvia unless you're pulling shots for 10+ people.  I say pocket the money.

huh?  when i read all the time about how much better/easier the Silvia with PID and how much it is always recommended on this forum, not sure why i seem to be getting negative feedback on this thread (not necessarily from you, just in general)...also, since when is spending money on upgrades/bling to machines frowned upon on this forum, lol!

just trying to make things easier and better for myself
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID my Silvia,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.52800989151)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+