Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Advise on low end equipment
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advise on low...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
solinar

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 2:21pm
Subject: Advise on low end equipment

So, I was a moderate coffee drinker until my boss got a Nespresso machine at work.  After a couple of years of Nespresso and enjoying espressos while out, I have decided to purchase a machine at home.

My first thought was a Nespresso Pixie like we have at work. But to be honest, at $0.70 per shot, and for what it produces, I have started to think about going the traditional route.

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's capabilities.)
    I drink pretty much only cappuccinos

2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at at one time? (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's ability to work continuously.)
    95% of the time, 1 Double Shot cappuccino for myself, rarely a 2nd or third drink for friends when entertaining.

3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?  (This will tell us what you need in terms of a machine's durability.)
    20-30 shots per week.

4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pourover machine with its own reservoir?
    Reservoir preferred, but I have water nearby.

5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
   15 Amp, could run a 20 amp if it was especially worth it.

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
    $200 for the machine, and less would be better, as I will be looking to buy a grinder later on rather than borrowing a friends Breville burr grinder.

Also, I need a stainless/chrome/nickel finish per the wife.

I'm fine with used/reconditioned. It seems the Gaggia classic seems to be one of this forum's darlings, but the only ones I have seen in that price range are on ebay and are listed as "vintage".
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 2:35pm
Subject: Re: Advise on low end equipment

Note: this is my opinion only, YMMV, IANAB, etc.

Buy an Aeropress for $30—it's going to make better coffee than any $200 "espresso" machine. Then start saving up for a good espresso-quality grinder, which you'll be able to use to make your Aeropress coffee even better. Then, and only then, start saving for an espresso machine and figure a minimum of $500-600 if buying a new SBDU and $1k if going HX. Used, you can get for less, but either get more educated or find a friend who knows his stuff to hel check out the used stuff.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:00pm

Welcome to CG, and thank you for answering the standard questions!!!

Based on what you've said, I'm guessing you'll be making 3-4 cappas for yourself everyday.  If you don't entertain more than you anticipate, you should be fine with a SBDU machine.  As you've seen, the Gaggia Classic is about at low end as me tend to recommend here.  It's not so much that it's loved, but that it meets bare minimum standards for us at the best price in it's class.

Given you aren't going to be able to purchase a grinder, it's hard to recommend anything espresso for you within your budget.  If you can stretch your budget a little, maybe get yourself a G. Classic in decent shape used (might take some ebay or craigslist patience) and buy yourself a Hario Slim or Skerton hand grinder, you can get by until you save up enough money for a refurbished Baratza Preciso.

Or...as George said, get yourself an Aeropress.  It's a good option.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 4:33pm

solinar Said:

6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
    $200 for the machine, and less would be better, as I will be looking to buy a grinder later on rather than borrowing a friends Breville burr grinder.

Posted March 11, 2013 link

As always, the grinder matters more.  Don't leave it as an afterthought.
solinar

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 6:59pm

takeshi Said:

As always, the grinder matters more.  Don't leave it as an afterthought.

Posted March 11, 2013 link

I have a friends breville burr grinder to play with for now, but its not a permanent solution. I dont have a budget for a grinder now as it wouldnt do me much good without something to brew with, and i do have the loaner for the time being.

I do look forward to doing some research here and getting my own grinder in the future.

Any idea if this a gaggia labeled "vintage"  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gaggia-Classic-Espresso-Machine-/160988833785?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item257baea7f9 is different enough from current ones to disqualify it from being a good buy?
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:36pm

It is made like the new machines - just older production.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:12pm

Takeshi is right,

Many people think that it is the espresso machine which makes the drink, but it only one part of the equation. The coffee grinder is even more important than the machine.

I would say that a bottom end "Espresso-Capable" grinder starts at somewhere around $300 new. You might be able to find something used, but beware.. Just because a
grinder says "Espresso" on it doesn't mean that it can grind fine enough or consistently enough to make proper espresso.

BTW, I don't know what kind of Breville Espresso grinder you have.. If you borrowed a Breville Smart Grinder, (ie. BCG800XL) then they are espresso capable.
If it is anything else, like the BCG450XL, it isn't good enough to grind properly for real espresso. You will have to be stuck buying a machine with a pressurized portafilter.

IMHO, I don't honestly see the point in spending a good chunk of money on a machine if you don't have a proper grinder to use with it. If you use a pressurized portafilter
to compensate for a poor grinder or a cheap grinder, you're just making strong coffee and not real espresso.

I've always told people before on this forum that if you don't want to play with toys and you want something reliable and dependable which produces a great cup of coffee,
you should budget at least $1000 for both a machine and a grinder as well as any accessories which go with them.

I realize that does sound like a lot of cash, but if you spend it, the reward will be worth it.

Please save your pennies. Good luck.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 2:24am

Another of my expensive hobbies is photography. As they've all said, it's the grinder first, the machine second. Just in photography, it's the lens first, the camera second.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 5:27am

its not what you want to hear, but if you don't buy a grinder you're just wasting your money.  Feel free to do as you wish, but you WILL be dissapointed with the drink quality if you don't buy a grinder.  There is a reason many of us own grinders approaching two thousand dollars, and in some cases, over $2k.  You don't need to spend that kind of money for a quality grinder, but you DO NEED a grinder. For an electric grinder, about $250-300 is the bare minimum.  The Hario Skerton hand grinder can be had for about $50.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
solinar

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 6:23am

Jmanespresso Said:

its not what you want to hear, but if you don't buy a grinder you're just wasting your money.  Feel free to do as you wish, but you WILL be dissapointed with the drink quality if you don't buy a grinder.  There is a reason many of us own grinders approaching two thousand dollars, and in some cases, over $2k.  You don't need to spend that kind of money for a quality grinder, but you DO NEED a grinder. For an electric grinder, about $250-300 is the bare minimum.  The Hario Skerton hand grinder can be had for about $50.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

Would the Hario Skerton be a good jumping off point? I don't mind doing a little extra work to get the ball rolling.

I really appreciate all of the comments.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advise on low...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.462877988815)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+