Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Type of salt to use w/ Canister 8L Water Softener
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Type of salt to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
kboom1
kboom1
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 6:19am
Subject: Re: Type of salt to use w/ Canister 8L Water Softener

emradguy Said:

Another thing that might be worth considering is using potassium chloride (KCl), instead of sodium chloride (NaCl).  It's probably more expensive, but if you have hypertension, it may be worth leaving K+ in the system instead of Na+.  Randy has a couple of pages on plumbing-in and addresses this somewhat quantitatively on his site (www.espressomyespresso.com)

Posted March 12, 2013 link

Talking to a water guru in my area and techs at ccs where I bought my system told me  that  potassium chloride dosent work as well as sodium chloride . and the water guru had indacated that the ion exchange happens slower with the potassium?
 View Profile Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 7:19am

2lb for 8lt softener
after 20-30 minutes or so,
taste the discharging water
still salty? let it run more
not salty?
give a nice shake then wait couple of minutes and taste again
no salty done
only then turn the lower valve back to the left to the espresso machine water line

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DaninMaryland

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 8:37am

qualin Said:

OK, so another stupid question then..

It's kind of obvious that using coarse salt will dissolve much faster in the water softener canister than the big white chunky stuff.

The manual recommends that I should leave it regenerating for 40 minutes to flush out all of the salty water. I'm assuming that is with coarse salt.

Should I leave it regenerating for longer with the chunky white stuff? Part of me is a little worried what salty water could do to my espresso machine,
short of just generating really crappy tasting coffee.

I mean, would it hurt anything if I left it regenerating for 60 minutes instead? What are the methods you use to determine when you should stop
regeneration? (ie. Using the hot water tap on the espresso machine to flush the boiler and tasting for saltiness?)

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

to echo other responses, dont run the water thru your espresso machine.  

as far as salt goes, the way a typical water softener tank works is  the salt is left in the water continusouly at a certain height.  water will only dissolve a set amount of salt per gallon, once its saturated, the salt does not continue to go into solution.  what i would do is get a seperate container and put the amount of water that the softener needs to recharge (or even double), and just throw in the large salt pellets a few days ahead on when you plan to recharge.  let it dissolve to its saturation point and just pour in the salt water to your filter.  let it sit for a while, and agitate.  then just flush with fresh water until it no longer tastes salty and you are done.  you dont need to over do it either.  for example, on a whole house water softener system the backflush with salt water maybe lasts 3-5 minutes.  thats all it takes to recharge.  if you are talking about running water thru the filter until all the salt is dissolved you are doing too much, and making this much harder than it needs to be.  

add salt water to regenerate resin, flush till it doesnt taste salty, done!

just make sure you arent running this thru your espresso machine!  right into the sink.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 10:01pm

Thanks for all of the responses. :)

I think I know what I need to do now. I appreciate the help!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Type of salt to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367477893829)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+