Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
When to use my triple basket? Shot volume?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > When to use my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:29pm
Subject: When to use my triple basket? Shot volume?

Okay, so I have two triple baskets, including a VST 22g ridged. I see some of you use yours quite often, but I'm almost always using my VST 18g ridgeless. I make straight shots, milk drinks, including big 16oz iced lattes. So far, I've been using the same kind of shot for every one: I pull until it starts to blond, which is about at 40-45ml, including crema (is this good?). However, I have not one, but two nice triple baskets and am wondering if I should use them more and what I should do for my dosing/tamping routine to get the most out of them. Thanks again!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 3:56pm
Subject: Re: When to use my triple basket? Shot volume?

let your taste buds decide.  I've found that with some beans I prefer the double and with others the triple.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 8:54pm

I got fantastic results with my VST triple on the first try. I was now curious as to why I was having such miserable luck on my 18g ridgeless. After some thought, I realized the 22g was new. The 18g couldn't just come completely clean by running hot water from the group over it and wiping it with a towel. I decided to clean it with hot water and dishsoap and a soft sponge, making sure all the holes were nice and clean. After that, I pulled an absolutely heavenly ristretto with my favorite single origin Tanzanian Peaberry, a coffee I had been struggling with over the last few weeks. Aside from feeling like an idiot, how often and how exactly do you clean your baskets? What's the proper care and feeding of a VST?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:00am

I like rlidgless baskets because they are easy to pop out and wipe the basket and PF down once a day, sometimes I go longer but then the oils get baked on with the PF locked in on a hot machine. The group is the same thing, oils getting baked on, it doesn't matter if you do 1 shot or 20 shots a day the left over oil is going to go rancid and bake. My E-61 keeps a cleaner screen then the Oscar, all sorts of grinds get inside the screen an diffuser and get baked on. If I do miss a day or two of water cleaning for baskets and group ( at least for Oscar) I would go with a chemical back flush and soak of PF and basket.

Consider this, if the water you are brewing with passes over all the crud and baked on rancid oils you are getting this in your cup, the amount depends on how dirty you have let your water path get.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:24am

Good point. To that end, I did a full JoeGlo backflush routine tonight and got some crazy crap out of there. I'm still not sure it's all out, but it's certainly better than it was before. How often should I clean my basket with dishsoap (seemed to work great) and/or JoeGlo? I don't think I had ever cleaned it with anything other than water, though I wiped it down quite often. I probably didn't notice it until recently, because I wasn't keeping the PF locked in the group until the last couple of weeks.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 3:44am

The Oscar group I chemical cleaned once a week, a way to do it less is to drop the screen and diffuser every 2-3 days for a hot water scrub, when you can no longer wipe it it is time for chemicals. Same with the PF and basket, best thing you can do is wipe it every time but I don't do that, once a day keeps it clean for over a week before chemical clean. Not sure about dish soap, not all cleaning agents are equal. Ever leave an empty coffee mug around, no heat needed for those oils to dry and get hard on the surface.

I do a water back flush after every set of shots.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:18am

Wow, that's certainly more than I've been doing. I water backflush once a day, and chemical backflushed every two weeks, and that's after three sessions throughout the day. Up until last night, I had never cleaned my VST with anything other than water >.<

I think I'll greatly step up my cleaning schedule now.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:19am

Markarian Said:

Good point. To that end, I did a full JoeGlo backflush routine tonight and got some crazy crap out of there. I'm still not sure it's all out, but it's certainly better than it was before. How often should I clean my basket with dishsoap (seemed to work great) and/or JoeGlo? I don't think I had ever cleaned it with anything other than water, though I wiped it down quite often. I probably didn't notice it until recently, because I wasn't keeping the PF locked in the group until the last couple of weeks.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

Cafiza (JoeGlo should be same), I put a TS or two in a big bowl (enough to fit two PFs, some baskets, screen, screws, diffuser block etc). Hot water, and stir so it's mixed then place above in the bowl. Will get any gunk, and especially oils off that you don't even really see.

I backflush with a blank basket usually every two days, and always run the PF after a session with the group to get any left over oils off. Do a Cafiza backflush every 4 weeks (alarm set in my phone calendar otherwise I forget lol).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > When to use my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.43212890625)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+