Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The classic question
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
email2r2
email2r2
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 2:46pm
Subject: The classic question

My first espresso set-up has been suggested by members right on this site. As an entry  combo, I bought a Rancilio Silvia and a Baratza Vario. Since I'm a technician in real life, I mod the Silvia with a Auber PID (the preinfusion type), glycerin filled pressure gauge, cooling fan for the PID and relays to be able to run the machine manually without the interference of the PID. THe mods have been made like if it was build by Rancilio and I always got good comment with my work.

Anyway, at first I was the only one hooked on espresso in the family and they didn't understand why I was spending so much money just for coffee. With time, everyone was asking me to make them espresso, so the Silvia can't put up with the pace anymore.
I 'm now in the process of selling my Silvia to buy something more powerfull. The Rancilio is built like a tank and I have only good comments to give and that's the kind of qualities I would like to have with my new machine.
I'm ready to spend up to $2k for a dual boiler machine and would like to get your suggestions once again. I need something reliable that you'll be able to get spare parts 20 years from now. You don't spend $2000 on a coffee machine to get stucked with it 5 years later because something broke and you can't get the part to fix it.

Please tell me what you think...
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 6:27pm
Subject: Re: The classic question

2k puts you prosumer class, so all of the machines you'll be looking at should last you 20+ years, especially with you being able to make repairs and do maintenance. The only DB machine I know of under 2k is the Breville, which has a good chance of frustrating you in the long run. For prosumer DBs (new ones, at least) you'll be dropping ~2.5k. Is there a reason you don't want a HX machine?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
email2r2
email2r2

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 6:36pm

No particular reason but I tought DB had a better temp recovery to do multiple shots one after another which is my main problem with the Silvia
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 6:52pm

Not necessarily. It's more like manual v auto transmission...which do you prefer. DB takes some of the control away from the user. If you like to play around with different beans in a session or want to play around with different flavor profiles through single dosing and temp of extraction adjustment, the HX is more flexible. If ou tend to stay with bean/blend x for a while and want consistency then DB will give you that. Calblacksmith wrote an excellent post on HX a month or two ago...so good I saved it on my PC...of course, I'm on my phone now, but if you can't find it, I can send it to you later (prolly tomorrow).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 7:27pm

emradguy Said:

2k puts you prosumer class, so all of the machines you'll be looking at should last you 20+ years, especially with you being able to make repairs and do maintenance. The only DB machine I know of under 2k is the Breville, which has a good chance of frustrating you in the long run. For prosumer DBs (new ones, at least) you'll be dropping ~2.5k. Is there a reason you don't want a HX machine?

Posted March 10, 2013 link

I think the Mini Vivaldi II is just under 2k.  It has a 53mm portafilter, though, if that would bother you.
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 8:39pm

The Expobar Brewtus IV is just under $2k.  It's a DB and is available in a rotary or vibe pump model.  The rotary pump model requires that it be plumbed in (no tank).  That's the one I ended up with, and it's been great.  I can't imagine going back to filling tanks, and the espresso has been top notch.  Steaming power is strong.  Really enjoying it.

BTW, DB machines may or may not give you better temp recovery to pull multiple shots vs. an HX machine.  DBs will give you better temperature stability than an HX machine, though.  My machine seems to hold temp pretty well as long as I'm not dumping a bunch of water through the grouphead (which typically isn't necessary).  For example, if I do a full clean of the system, it'll dip from 197F to 192F by the time I'm done, but that's pulling a lot of water through the system, and very fast.  Shot to shot temps are normally pretty consistent.  Steaming won't change brew temps unless I'm emptying the hot water spout.  The Brewtus uses a 15A connection, so it alternates heating the brew boiler and the steam boiler.  If it focuses too much on the steam boiler, it can cause the brew temp to dip just a bit, but it recovers quickly.  20A machines might be able to get around this, as they can draw enough current to run both boilers; of course, you'll need a 20A circuit to support it.  The Brewtus gives you the option to shut off the steam boiler and run only the brew boiler if you'd like, which brings the machine up to temp quicker and saves energy.

There are lots of other good machines out there as well in that ~$2K range.

Good luck!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 9:23pm

What kind of load we talking, which did the Silvia in?

email2r2 Said:

Anyway, at first I was the only one hooked on espresso in the family and they didn't understand why I was spending so much money just for coffee. With time, everyone was asking me to make them espresso, so the Silvia can't put up with the pace anymore.

Please tell me what you think...

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 9:42pm

tinytot2 Said:

. . . if that would bother you.

Why would it?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2013, 9:44pm

OttoMatic Said:

DBs will give you better temperature stability than an HX machine, though.

Not necessarily -- depends upon the machine AND the talent of the operator.  Don't forget the 4M's . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
tinytot2

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 6:03am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Why would it?

Well, it wouldn't bother me personally, but thought the OP would like to know seeing they are using a 58 and already have the tamper that.

And yes, I understand that a new tamper could easily be purchased.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.520090818405)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+