Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
E61 Rocket - No water from wand...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 Rocket - No...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
12steps

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:01pm
Subject: E61 Rocket - No water from wand...

Hi,

I bought a old 61 giotto from auction (8-10 years old)

It was in pretty bad condition (thick black tar in the portafilter, showerscreen etc)

Backflushed and descaled last night.

Problem is there is no water coming from the hot water tap / wand. Ive taken the tip off and the odd drip but nothing else. The wand does get warm when the machine is up to temp.

Everything else is functional.

Im new to e61's (1 year owner, first time tinkerer)

Can someone point me in the direction of a troubleshooting guide for this fault or what I need to check?

Thanks, Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:25pm
Subject: Re: E61 Rocket - No water from wand...

The valve itself should be removed and overhauled. it is probably either full of crud, scale, or maybe the stop gasket has failed.
A machine that old and left in that poor of condition would prompt me to fully disassemble and clean before use. If the machine seems to be functioning otherwise (pump works, brew pressure OK, water gets hot, and the machine producers steam) then overhaul kits for both valves and a full kit to overhaul the group would probably be a good investment.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
12steps

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:48pm

Thanks

Is there a "how to" or step by step? Id hate to end up with a pile of parts left over at the end because I didnt know what I was doing lol...
DaninMaryland

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:09pm

12steps Said:

Thanks

Is there a "how to" or step by step? Id hate to end up with a pile of parts left over at the end because I didnt know what I was doing lol...

Posted March 6, 2013 link

cant help you out on a step by step, but these machines generally are pretty straight forward i think.  Just take a ton of pictures and keep everything in order so you can put it back in the reverse.  what i typically do is go step by step and take a picture before removing everythign...and when i remove it i keep all the parts, etc in order.

one easy way (i did last time i did a complete dissasemble) is to use a spare table or countertop.  the first stuff you take off the machine go on the far left and each step you put the next pieces to the right.  i actually put a piece of tape between each step which roughly matched up with photos.  as you remove items that need to be cleaned just keep them in the right spot.

after its all taken apart, remove each individual item till you are satisfied and then start assembing in order with the aid of your photos.

my tip - take lots of photos from different angles, especially of any wiring!
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:09pm

I figure it is either less than 10 years old, or perhaps an ECM rather than a Rocket.  Regardless, the valves themselves should be nearly identical side to side, so re-assembly is as simple as making sure it is the same as the untouched one.  As for the valces, they differ greatly from era to era, so I don't know which you may have, but go ahead and take it apart, clean it and reassemble it. It will either fix it or make the specific problem obvious.
If you post a picture of the machine, centering on the external part of the hot-water valve, I could offer more encouragement.
12steps

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 10:45am

Yes its an ECM and about 10 years old from what I can tell.

Ive found heaps of stuff on the grouphead but does anyone have a how to or guide on disassembling the water wand for testing?
kitt2000
kitt2000
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Lambro,
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 12:10pm

Hi there, as your Rocket/ECM is 8-10 years old, i'm guessing you have the older type valves where the steam and water wand are not attached to the valves, ie; they exit the machine faceplate below the valve from a separate hole? There is surprisingly little info around about servicing these valves, as i think most Rocket owners just put their machines in to be serviced.
Here's an older thread which shows the valve dis-assembled;

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

If the problem is in the valve shaft seal, they are not easily replaceable, you are better off replacing the whole valve shaft.Coffeeparts in Aussie sell some ECM/Rocket parts, but i can't tell from their diagram whether its for the old or new style valves;

http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/ecm/ecm-spare-parts-5

As you most likely have a blockage, once you remove the valve and wand, you can try blowing through them to see if they are clear
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 Rocket - No...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37175989151)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+