Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 15 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:25am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

If I understand your question correctly you are wanting to understand how 14 and 15 work, and the pump/pressure system???  The spring holds up the valve at fairly low pressure, I have heard about 1.5 - 2 bar though I am not sure of the amount.  That is enough to keep water from draining out of the tank when sitting or heating.  If you steam you can build up about 3 bar pressure depending on the temperature, so, you can get a bit of steam out of the group.  In machines with 3 way, this mechanism is not needed.  When you open the steam wand, pressure and flow go there unless you still exceed the spring pressure.  When you brew, the pump overcomes the spring, about 9 - 15 bar pump pressure depending on how your machine is set and lets brew water our the valve/tube.

In general when a pump runs the pressure will exceed brew needs and some water goes back to the tank through a pressure relief valve.  Pump is 84 and valve is 79.

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)

79 allows water to the tank for brew, or to return to the reservoir on the down tube shown.  That is a general description from the diagram.  If the pump runs and no of little brew water, then start down the list.  Weak pump, bad 79 valve and water back to reservoir, bad outlet 14 and 15.  All can be affected by scale.  If is possible to use a piece of high pressure flex tube and attach a pressure gauge to the steam wand and find pump pressure.  I have seen it done on Gaggia, but an not sure if your steam line is hard/copper tubing and will stand the back pressure.  If the pump is on and the steam wand/valve open is there very good flow out the wand?

Sorry, this is a thread where a few have posted about problems and they may not all be the same problem.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
arpad

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:36pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

Hello.  I've been following this thread since I got my first batch of unroasted beans and EC155 last month, with great interest.

Finally, it was time to sign up and stop lurking.

I spent the last month getting to a pretty decent pressurized pull on the EC155 and this week I got the 607706 basket and cut the bottom off the portafilter. (and I got a scale)

My first shot was pretty bad.  So I went with the advise I've read here.

This morning, I dialed my Hario grinder to the finest setting did 18g, tamped the best I could.   It took a good 10s before anything came out and finally I pulled 1.75oz in about 65s.  Pretty much what I expected.  Rich and bitter.

Next, I backed the Hario off a click and repeated.  I got a 50s pull (from the time the coffee started coming out).  The bitterness was gone but there was sour, like with an under-extraction.  And this is what confuses me.

The coffee was dark at first but by about 20s, it went rapidly blond and thin.  That's where I think the sour came from.  The entire time, the stream came from the center of the filter as I think it should.

The whole idea that the group head doesn't have to touch the coffee is weird to me but with the 607706 tamped, of course, the coffee is well down in there.  When it's done, the puck is expanded.  The first pull above, the puck was even and very wet.  The second pull, the puck was more dry (but still wet) and not even.  Could the problem be my tamp, then?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ekyx

Espresso: delonghi ec190
Grinder: mazzer super jolly
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 8:47am

Dustiang Said:

This is my Bar 14 with La Cimbali shower sreen and commercial brass La Spaziale portafilter with San Marco single basket.Has inside adjusted OPV and now is another machine from the original.

Posted May 19, 2013 link

How did you managed to add the adjustable OPV to your delonghi?
Have you smooth out the portafilter to fit your machine?
Have you any photos of your mods?

They seem to be interesting
stevedusa

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 5:02pm

Got my EC155 last week, thanks to this post I got the portafilter modded to bottomless and depressurize the basket.

So far so good, I'm able to make great espresso shots with a little crema, thanks to fresh grounded beans and local bean roaster.

I got the Krups 0907163 basket today, it fits perfectly with the portafilter. However after I brew, the basket would stuck in the machine while I remove the portafilter. I have to use a fork to get it out... Does anybody has this problem? Or how do you avoid it?

Thanks everybody for your insight!
TheMick
TheMick
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 6:02pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

Hello all, this is my first post here at coffeegeek.com. I have done some lurking here in the past but haven't had much in the way of unanswered questions before now.

At home I mostly stick to a press pot for my morning coffee fix. However I do have a DeLonghi EC140B espresso machine for my wife's lattes. She isn't very particular about it so this machine has worked fine for her needs.

I also enjoy an espresso when I can but not from this machine. I usually only indulge when I'm at a decent coffee shop.

jaybelknap Said:

i've herd that some la pavoni baskets work (the millennium series)

if you want a quick fix just take out the plastic part under the metal filter (the one with the holes in it) and reinstall it in the rubber gasket.
note: when you nock out the puck the filter will fall out with it, so a nockbox is useful.

Posted May 17, 2011 link

I saw this thread and started tinkering with the filter basket a bit. It hasn't been flowing very well lately no matter how much cleaning I've done. So I removed the plastic piece to depressurize it. This helped with the flow and would probably suffice for the wife but I would like to get something I can enjoy.

One problem I seem to be having is the grind but not the usual problem you would expect. My problem is even with only a Bodem Bistro grinder I have to back it off 2- 2 1/2 markers (dots) from it's finest setting for it to pull in 25 to 30 sec and the result is a thin shot with minimal and light colored crema. If I go any finer it clogs and I know this grinder shouldn't even be able to grind fine enough for espresso. I always just assumed these pressurized baskets took a courser grind but with that piece removed I would have to go finer and eventually get a new grinder when possible.  

So my question really is if this is due to still using the rest of the "froth dispenser"as it's called? Should a basket from say the Bar12 or any of the others listed fix this? Or could this be the pump getting weak?
arpad

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 6:16pm

So, if anything, getting a depressurized basket has hindered the flow of my machine.  I'm finally to the point where I can pull decent shots but because I grind more fine and tamp harder, the machine struggles more.

On the plus side, my shots are creamy, rich and neutral... meaning not bitter or sour, just chocolaty and smooth (much of the time).  With the pressurized basket, I had less chance of pulling a bitter or sour shot but I also got a *lot* less flavor out of the coffee.

Now... though, I'm having a different problem.

I was using 18g for a while with the 607706 basket.  Which worked ok.  I couldn't tamp at 25 pounds for sure.

I recently started going down to 15g and now 14g with a lighter tamp with good results.

QUESTION:
HOWEVER, I'm having a hell of a time getting the EC155 to stay green through the extraction.  If I time it right, pull water until the light goes out, then insert the portafilter and wait until the light goes green, I can get 25s worth of green.  If I do it wrong, I get about 15s worth of green, the light goes out, the machine stops pumping and I have to wait 15s until the light comes back on; at which time it seems like the thing will pump for another 30 - 40s with the green light.  It's driving me mad.  Any experience with this?
D4F

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 7:47pm

How much espresso weight are you trying to make?  Large volume, say over 50 ml of liquid may run enough water into the boiler to change the light, or may take long enough that the boiler cools and changes the light.  Aim for about 45 gms, or less, in about 25 seconds.  I find more than that is a bit watery and does not taste as good, and I aim at about 30 gms for a double.

You can add a Polder thermometer to the boiler and see more about the temperature.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
arpad

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 7:59pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!

You're saying you put 30 grams of coffee into the basket???

I'm putting 14 - 18 grams... and getting about 50ml of espresso out of it.  :-O
D4F

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 8:14pm

Weight/liquid volume of output which is close to water through the machine.  My double on Gaggia is about 17 gms of input coffee and about 35 of output espresso.  Sorry that was not clear.

D4F also at
Munkee915

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 10:38pm

I've been looking everywhere for the 607706 basket but everyone says it's on backorder.  Can anyone recommend a place to look for it or another basket I can use instead?  Is the Krups 0907163 a good substitute?
showing page 15 of 19 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402323961258)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+