Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine to pair with a Super Jolly
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine to pair...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
JustinB

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1, Astoria Argenta
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bunn Axiom DV3, Bunn LPG...
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:53am
Subject: Machine to pair with a Super Jolly

Hi all,
I've been into coffee for a few years.  At one point I thought Dunkin Donuts was good coffee!  I like going to restaurant supply stores in search of good deals and found my Bunn Axiom DV3 for $150 as well as my Bunn LPG grinder for $100.  I know some might feel it's a bit extreme for home use but I digress.  I recently bought a Zojirushi Zutto along with a Baratza Encore for regular use and relegated the Bunn equipment to PTO nights.

Anyways, I found a used red Super Jolly on eBay and bought that knowing I would eventually buy a machine to pair it with.  My original plan was a Rancilio Silvia because I am a glutton for punishment or possibly a Gaggia Classic.  I was about to buy Miss Silvia when I came across a Rancilio on Craig's list for $500.  I went to go take a look at it but it wasn't a Silvia.  It was an Epocha E 2 group.  I bought it but can't find any info about them and I'm not sure it's a good machine for a beginner.  I warmed it up and tried a shot with some Black Cat beans I bought.  It tastes better than Starbucks does, but that doesn't say much.

I'm not sure if I should keep the Epocha or find a Silvia or comparable.  Oh, the machine came with a dozen of the new style portafilters.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:01am
Subject: Re: Machine to pair with a Super Jolly

LOL, if you have the space and power requirements to fit an Epoca 2 group, and it's in good condition, you'd be crazy not to keep it.  You're talking a full-on $6,000 commercial espresso machine vs. the Silvia, which although is well made is a finicky single boiler machine which is considered by many overpriced vs. the competition.

EDIT:  You're not going to have an easier time pulling a good shot than with the Epoca.  In fact, if you're just starting out, Silvia is going to offer you a lot of trouble and frustration until you get your groove.

Living the caffeinated life.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 12:58pm

JustinB Said:

Hi all,
I've been into coffee for a few years.  At one point I thought Dunkin Donuts was good coffee!  I like going to restaurant supply stores in search of good deals and found my Bunn Axiom DV3 for $150 as well as my Bunn LPG grinder for $100.  I know some might feel it's a bit extreme for home use but I digress.  I recently bought a Zojirushi Zutto along with a Baratza Encore for regular use and relegated the Bunn equipment to PTO nights.

Anyways, I found a used red Super Jolly on eBay and bought that knowing I would eventually buy a machine to pair it with.  My original plan was a Rancilio Silvia because I am a glutton for punishment or possibly a Gaggia Classic.  I was about to buy Miss Silvia when I came across a Rancilio on Craig's list for $500.  I went to go take a look at it but it wasn't a Silvia.  It was an Epocha E 2 group.  I bought it but can't find any info about them and I'm not sure it's a good machine for a beginner.  I warmed it up and tried a shot with some Black Cat beans I bought.  It tastes better than Starbucks does, but that doesn't say much.

I'm not sure if I should keep the Epocha or find a Silvia or comparable.  Oh, the machine came with a dozen of the new style portafilters.

Thanks!

Posted March 7, 2013 link

I'm sorry, but unless you post a photo of your machine, I find this a but hard to swallow. I assume this is a 110-120, not the 220?
If you're on the level, WHY would you EVER want to buy a Silvia instead?
A head scratcher, for sure.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JustinB

Espresso: Elektra T1, Astoria Argenta
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bunn Axiom DV3, Bunn LPG...
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 1:58pm

It's a 220 model.  I wired it in where my Bunn coffee maker was and hooked it up to the water connection too.

I bought it from someone who was getting rid of the cheating ex's toys.  Hence the overly low price.  Here are a couple others for sale reasonably.

Links removed.

I was asking whether the machine was any good or not.  The one group model brand new is 2k which is right in the middle of the prosumer models that all of you tend to buy.  I figured that if I didn't see any on here, that they might not be worth buying.  I also had concerns over whether it was bad to only use it for a few shots a day and whether it should be left on or shut off.  That's all.  Thanks for everyone's time.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:06pm

JustinB Said:

It's a 220 model.  I wired it in where my Bunn coffee maker was and hooked it up to the water connection too.

I bought it from someone who was getting rid of the cheating ex's toys.  Hence the overly low price.  Here are a couple others for sale reasonably.

I was asking whether the machine was any good or not.  The one group model brand new is 2k which is right in the middle of the prosumer models that all of you tend to buy.  I figured that if I didn't see any on here, that they might not be worth buying.  I also had concerns over whether it was bad to only use it for a few shots a day and whether it should be left on or shut off.  That's all.  Thanks for everyone's time.

Would you please remove the links. Posting outside sales are against CG rules.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:10pm

Rancillio's prosumer models are just not that popular here.
Not enough stainless, and lacking an E61 group, which IS very popular here.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 4:05pm

IMAWriter Said:

Rancillio's prosumer models are just not that popular here.
Not enough stainless, and lacking an E61 group, which IS very popular here.

Prosumer? The Epoca is a commercial machine - you drink not what the machine looks like but what it creates - which is also very popular here...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:03pm

EricBNC Said:

Prosumer? The Epoca is a commercial machine - you drink not what the machine looks like but what it creates - which is also very popular here...

Sorry, I meant to same commercial, as in the sense they would be in a cafe, but not in someone's home, like a more "blingy" looking machine.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 4:33am

No to stirr the pot, but I understood the intent of the post and agree so I did not comment on it,:-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 5:39pm

JustinB Said:

I'm not sure if I should keep the Epocha or find a Silvia or comparable.

If you really want a Silvia I'll happily trade.  That should answer your question.

JPF Said:

In fact, if you're just starting out, Silvia is going to offer you a lot of trouble and frustration until you get your groove.

^ This.  Not sure why the OP seems to think that the Silvia is the machine to get.  Do more research and consider the dates on what you're reading.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine to pair...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.482653856277)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+