Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What could cause major group temp fluctuations?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What could cause...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 7:32pm
Subject: What could cause major group temp fluctuations?

Yet another stupid question, but this is the third time since I started leaving the PF in the group a few days ago that I've gone to my Oscar to pull a shot after being on and idle for a while and the group is cool enough to hold my finger on. Normally it's scalding hot. A cooling flush wasn't even necessary and the ramp from pump start to first pour was probably about 30-40%. The shot was okay, but any idea what gives?
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 7:51pm
Subject: Re: What could cause major group temp fluctuations?

My immediate guess is that it's unrelated. It isn't the PF in the group, you're just experiencing a false pressure in the boiler occuring in initial warm-up stopping the machine from actually warming up.  
From your post, it seems to me that this is NOT initial warm-up, but actually after the machine has idled after a complete warm-up which could be the pressostat...  But doesn't the Oscar use a nice sirai p-stat?  Anyhow, My guess is that it is unrelated to your PF.  
What gets it back to working normally?  Opening the steam-valve? Giving it a thump?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 8:06pm

I think just normal use eventually gets it back to baseline. I was thinking Pstat too, since I have a vacuum breaker that has worked perfectly since it was installed (thanks, Plindy!) and it rules out false pressure. I can only assume it's just the pstat having a senior moment? I do have a Sirai pstat, but the machine is almost nine years old at this point, so who knows how reliable that thing is. :/ Any other thoughts?
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 10:28pm

I bought my machine used with a Sirai Pstat installed by the previous owner. When I got it I noticed the contacts were pretty burned up- easy to see with the black cover popped off. As it had two sets of contacts I switched the wires over to the new set, if it had not I would have cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper or emery cloth. Just thinking this may be something for you to look at.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 11:19pm

I've never opened my Pstat before. I'm thinking that if it isn't back up to temp by the time of my nightly latte, I should give the adjustment screw a little tweak just to see if the thing is stuck. It's still turning the heating element on every so often and steam pressure seems normal (I don't have a gauge yet).

EDIT: So I turned the Pstat up one half turn, just to get it moving (assuming it was the pstat) and about half an hour ago I went to make my last breve of the day (I keep a late schedule). The group was still pitifully cool and not the searing heat that it usually is that would burn my finger and make the PF nice and toasty. The basket was downright cold. I went through my normal routine and steamed my half and half as usual, but before I did I noticed there seemed to be a lot of water in the steamline when I bled it of condensation. After steaming my half and half, and doing one last blast to get the milk out, I heard the boiler fill kick in and last much longer than the usual top-off. This one was closer to 5-10 seconds. After that, WHAM, the group heated up rapidly to full temperature and stayed there. Now that I think about this, this happened before, and definitely before Plindy's mod. Now I KNOW my probe is very clean (you can see me scrubbing it in the video) and I haven't had this issue up until the last few days. I wonder what's going on.
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:35am

If the PF is loosely placed in the group it is not coupled with the rest of the thermal mass, and stay's cool. Not too loose not too tight, yet another espresso balance.

If you want to change to different contacts on the Pstat, be aware that if the wire ends are ring type and you have to remove the screw to move the wires, there could be a small brass contact  plate under the ring and with the screw removed it will fall out, inconveniently.....

been really busy at the kite factory, only 150 b box's  left to build to retrofit all the birds in the wild......
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:58am

Wow, thanks for the head's up, Pete. We should all write a REAL Oscar owner's manual with all the weird little things we've picked up :)

In my case, the entire group was warm, but not hot, not just the PF. I think the issue wasn't with the Pstat, but rather with the water being low for some odd reason. I still had normal-looking pressure from the steam wand, but excess water in the bleed before foaming the milk. After steaming, the autofill kicked in much longer than usual and suddenly the group was hot again. I didn't want to crank the Pstat up too high, since your gauge said I was right around 1.25bar, which seemed to be within the sweet spot.

I've been super busy with my last quarter at the U. Those kids been keeping your hands full at the plant still :)?
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 1:47am

might explain condition with no PF, and with
Espresso! My Espresso!
Understanding and Preventing Thermosyphon Stall
excellent real world  espresso resource

Today we were ahead of the machine shop...
The weekend, not so much...
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 2:38am

Pete! You're a lifesaver once again. This is exactly what's going on and now the system is back to normal, though running a tad hot, likely due to my pstat ajustment. I'm glad it's not something serious. I'm totally bookmarking that page now. I've been doing short flushes because Helen kept insisting that we only needed to flush like two ounces since you put the gicleurs in. But I noticed my shots were more even when the group was slightly cooler, so maybe I still need a more thourough flush. What do you think? Cheers!

PS - Heard about the batteries on the news. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 8:51am

My machine clearly needs shorter flushes.  But your water dance should be your guide.  I had to tighten some nuts last week I could hear but not see a leak because it was only under pressure and when hot the water evaporated. You might need to check the tightness of all the nuts.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What could cause...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40217590332)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+