Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 235 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Settembrini
Settembrini
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville DB
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: back yard barbecue...
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 6:44am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

carz07 Said:

im not using the programmable button but i just want to clarify these

are you changing grind setting? if yes then perhaps those times that its a buzz it might be too tight
what basket are you using for the programmable? i think those two are meant for the dual wall, i could be wrong if its only for the dual wall
bean age, how frequent are these intermittent problems? coffee age and when they start to age you start chasing them, usually if the coffee is starting to stale there is less resistance and the flow will be fast, if its fresh then there is resistance and creates a tight seal and you dont get a flow unless you grind a bit loose

people here that might be using the programmable buttons can help more as they used it but what i said above is in relation to beans and grind that might affect both programmable buttons and manual buttons and also baskets

Posted July 23, 2013 link

Thanks carz07 for the reply.  To answer your questions, I do change the grind setting as coffee ages, but no differently than I have for the last two years with this machine.  It is possible I am more aggressive than I used to be; not sure.  I do not use double-walled baskets, but did not realize the cup buttons were reserved for those.  I'll switch to the manual button and give that a try.  I use a variety of beans.  Lately I have been roasting my own and my grinder has bit the dust. Maybe using the manual button, and a better grinder will help with this issue.
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 7:40am

Settembrini Said:

Thanks carz07 for the reply.  To answer your questions, I do change the grind setting as coffee ages, but no differently than I have for the last two years with this machine.  It is possible I am more aggressive than I used to be; not sure.  I do not use double-walled baskets, but did not realize the cup buttons were reserved for those.  I'll switch to the manual button and give that a try.  I use a variety of beans.  Lately I have been roasting my own and my grinder has bit the dust. Maybe using the manual button, and a better grinder will help with this issue.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

use the manual buttons as you can control your extraction from there. but it wouldnt hurt you get that weird sound fix even if you will not use it anymore.

most of the time i use different SO beans and grind set do change and related to roasting temp also. when you do manual i advise and what ive learned from bubbadude is to weight your beans and your shots. i dont use marking my glass with equivalent volume since you might encounter beans or blends that have more crema. although the crema weight is very small since its mostly air, still it can affect the height of the marker, so use the scale and weight to make sure you are getting the correct weight regardless of the crema produced. get another grinder, a vario is good, ive noticed in your profile you are using smart grinder, some dark roast needs tight grind, and the smart grinder just cant reach a tight set than the vario.

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lowellw2

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 5:15pm

Here's a video of one of the 2 Breville DB machines, the ORACLE, that was introduced at the SCCA in Boston. While this video was obviously produced by Breville it appears to represent somewhat of a blind taste test. My guess is that the automatic nature of the milk frother might make it into a V2 of the BES900.

http://vimeo.com/68506978

As to latte art here's another of a pro doing what they do but with the ORACLE in this case.

http://vimeo.com/68080597

I do not see the ORACLE, in any way, as a replacement for the BES900, but as somewhat of a semi-full automatic. However, when I showed the video to my spouse, the instant response was "I want that one". Maybe I was wrong.
Settembrini
Settembrini

Espresso: Breville DB
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: back yard barbecue...
Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 7:43am

carz07 Said:

... ive noticed in your profile you are using smart grinder, some dark roast needs tight grind, and the smart grinder just cant reach a tight set than the vario.

Posted July 24, 2013 link

Well as things happen, the smart grinder went belly up so have switched to a Baratza and the espresso is coming out much better anyway.  The grinder was out of warranty but Breville is sending me a refurbished one at no cost.  I have to say I have no complaints about their customer support and service.  I'll be giving them a call about the buzzing; sounds to me like a solenoid is not always catching.  But that is just a guess.  Thanks again for the valuable feedback.  It will certainly help me going forward.
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 7:54am

Settembrini Said:

Well as things happen, the smart grinder went belly up so have switched to a Baratza and the espresso is coming out much better anyway.  The grinder was out of warranty but Breville is sending me a refurbished one at no cost.  I have to say I have no complaints about their customer support and service.  I'll be giving them a call about the buzzing; sounds to me like a solenoid is not always catching.  But that is just a guess.  Thanks again for the valuable feedback.  It will certainly help me going forward.

Posted July 27, 2013 link

not a problem as long as i can help, people here helped me out so im just paying forward

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sqroot3

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 9:46pm

as a new bes900xl owner, i've finally caught up on all the posts in this thread!

question for old version (bes900xl, not /b) owners: does using a completely blind filter basket (instead of the old generation cleaning disc with a pinhole) during the clean cycle (with cleaning tablet) mess up the machine, or is it acceptable to do so? i ask because one post earlier in this thread described what sounded like a dead pump following a routine clean cycle. i have an old model (serial 1132-), but I don't have any cleaning disc, pinhole or otherwise. i was just going to use a 58mm blind filter, but wanted to make sure that would be fine. after all, it sounds like the original clean cycle with the old generation of machines was designed for use with that pinhole letting some water through the pf...

thanks!
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 4:44am

Using a completely blind filter is a-ok for any version of pretty much any espresso machine with an OPV (which the Breville has).  I have no idea why they originally had a pinhole in the "blind" filter, but that was corrected pretty quickly even within the original /a or non-/b run.
sqroot3

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 8:42am

great, thanks!
PacoPackaPucka

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 10:52am

2400 W sounds impressive - should I assume it will be tripping my circuit breakers?...
PacoPackaPucka

Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 10:57am

what's a reasonable price range to pay for a good quality scale?  accessories are fun but the price can add up...
showing page 235 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430426836014)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+