Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help is needed for my Duetto 3
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help is needed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gearbolt
gearbolt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: Kona
Roaster: TBD
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 1:07am
Subject: Re: Help is needed for my Duetto 3

Some updates:

I reduced the brewing temp to 198F and the pressure to just a bit above 9bars (it was set 9.5 bars before)
and use the suggested PID setting by Dave.  The result is much better now.  The PID temp display is much more stable
around 198F.   The Redbird espresso tastes even better than before, which really surprises me.  I was only changing
the dose amount, grind fineness and temp pressure and I thought I got it.    But it is a very pleasant and welcome
surprise.  :)   I also tried some medium-to-dark roasted beans from CCS and could also get improvement from these
changes.    

I will report back if there is anything out of ordinary in the long run.

Thanks forum members for their feedbacks, especially from Dave for sharing his expertise.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,
David
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:54am

The fact that you can consistently taste a difference in a 1 degree change is well confirmation of how temp stable the machine is off set calculations aside. My II was set about 9.75 and I turned it down to dead on 9.0 and prefer the results across the board but Redbird currently being the "House Blend" so i brew more of that than others.

I am curious if your brew pressure is the same through a puck and on a blind? Mine has always been dead on the same at least on the machine gauge. I have read others who say theirs change a bit.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:00pm

I also dropped my brew pressure from around 9.75 to 9.0 and am much happier with the results.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
gearbolt
gearbolt

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: Kona
Roaster: TBD
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 10:47pm

jwoodyu Said:

The fact that you can consistently taste a difference in a 1 degree change is well confirmation of how temp stable the machine is off set calculations aside. My II was set about 9.75 and I turned it down to dead on 9.0 and prefer the results across the board but Redbird currently being the "House Blend" so i brew more of that than others.

I am curious if your brew pressure is the same through a puck and on a blind? Mine has always been dead on the same at least on the machine gauge. I have read others who say theirs change a bit.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Yes, the difference in the taste does make feel better when I lower the temp in the PID.  But reading some owners' feedback
on this and their temp is pretty dead on also makes me wonder why.  

The pressure of a blind shot is right @ the presure I set which is a bit over 9bars (say 9.1bars).
The pressure of puck shot is initially @ 9.1bars right after I flip the lever but then move to 9.5bars and stop at it.
All of the readings are fromthe machine gauge.
DavecUK

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 1:49am

gearbolt Said:

The pressure of a blind shot is right @ the presure I set which is a bit over 9bars (say 9.1bars).
The pressure of puck shot is initially @ 9.1bars right after I flip the lever but then move to 9.5bars and stop at it.
All of the readings are fromthe machine gauge.

Posted March 6, 2013 link

It's because of water expansion, re the link I sent you earlier.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 7:18am

I have Dave's recommended settings on my machine the last 2 days that is in 15amp mode, tank, and both boilers on. The setting seems much more stable when the steam boiler is off, when it is on I get a 2f overshoot regularly and a -1 drop below the set point which is about the same as the default setting for me except the recovery time from the overshoot seems quicker. I plan on plumbing in and going to 20 amp in the near future.

I am going to try a different setting from the page Dave linked today and see what that does. I wonder if there are not some tweaks we have to do for our current? What the heck I am hopefully learning. Just noticed there is more to that article, scroll down and there is one US setting for both boilers on, trying it today.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:32pm

I have a version 2, so mine might not translate.  It is however one of the very last version 2's that Chris sold.  Its even got the red colored PID the duetto 3's have.

I haven't checked my PID settings.. I can if anyone would like.

Where I have my PID set, I will see it go 2F higher.  I always run with steam boiler on for the sake of keeping things consistent.  I turn it off when Im done, and on as Im setting up my scale and such.  I do see overshoot, usually no more then 2 degrees.  Sometimes 1F, and then as its the heater kicks on it drops 2F below, and then overshoots 2F from the setpoint.

At first I got worried/annoyed that the PID wasn't hella accurate like I wanted..  But then reading Rob had the same issues, and the post he made about talking to the techs at CCS and that, in a nutshell, don't worry about it.  What you set is you get.

So, I stopped worrying.  And for the most part Id say Im getting the temps I set on the PID, even though the display might show slightly otherwise.  1 degree changes are cleary noticeable, and blends are showing changes across a range of 4 degrees, with 2 or 3 settings all producing nice shots.  (So like if I bracket from 198 to 201, maybe only 201 is too hot, but 200, 199 and 198 all taste different, and good.  More body or more fruit, but all good.)

Ill be honest, Id really love to get some time with a Scace device, and Ive been meaning to email a friend and see if he has one and would be willing to let me borrow it, but I haven't wanted to bother him yet.  I could buy one, sure, and If I find my PID needs tuning, then the $300 some odd bucks would be more then worth it.  But what happens when I drop $300+ and find out my Duetto is stable as a damn rock?

Id love it if my PID always read either the temp I set, or one or two degrees lower when it was heating back up to my setpoint.  But it overshoots and drops below and blah blah blag... Like I said, I did what rob did, stopped worrying and just tasted the coffee.  So far, I think its pretty close to accurate.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 5:30pm

I have been using the PID setting posted from a US user from the link Dave posted, I am really liking it.
P=1.3
I=0.06
D=1.5

This setting has been holding a +/- 1f all day, it is a little slow to recover after a shot but still plenty faster then I am.
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 2:35pm

Hi Dave,I have not touched mine from factory settings.my brew pressure goes to 10 bars, is that too high?how does this effect my shots.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 3:05pm

PID has no effect on brew pressure.  If you want to adjust brew pressure, you do so by adjusting a little nut on the pump.

10Bar is high, but not outrageous.  I actually used my Duetto at 10bar for first two-three weeks, because thats how Chris's guys set it up for me, and I didn't feel like taking the case off again.  So I figured ID try it out for a little while, then lower it.  Currently at ~8.75Bar.  Noticeably improvement without a doubt.  Smoother, Sweeter, Richer.  I can also get another day or two out of a coffee without that harsh bite creeping in so soon.

Lower it, see what you think, decide from there.  Unless you're like me, and will go through a 12oz bag in a session trying things out, give yourself a week at the new setting before you make any decisions.(Its not my normal routine to blow through a 12oz bag a day..  3lbs is about what I order per week, but every now and then I feel like playing around with some variables, and to do that, requires a bag or two extra of coffee :-)  )

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help is needed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.428935050964)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+