Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 208 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:04am
Subject: Re: exactly.

PrescottCR Said:

You gotta try different things and find what you like. Klund hit the nail on the head.

There are only a few 'right ways' and 'wrong ways' in coffee. So much is opinion.

I like Americanos, about 4oz of water to 1oz of espresso. To some that is sacrilege. It is the espresso drink equivalent of Nickelback. Some put salt in their espresso cup, some put SUGAR on top of the espresso puck. Others even use portafilters for tea leaves. Hippies.

The super crema beans prolly have a good taste to them, if you already have them then try them every different way you care to and see what you like. If you like them, then you're buying them because you like them and not because of any advertising hype about crema or whatever.

This is why getting all the steps along the way to making espresso ironed out is important. So if you're experimenting the variables are all controlled to the point where you can mess with one at a time and see what you like. Get your technique down so your consistent in the cup, then play with variables.

Crema is encapsulated CO2 mostly, so by removing it your apparent volume will decrease, but it's mostly air. If you were going by weight, the shot would lose very little mass if you scoop it off.  If you were a cafe selling espresso shots then this is a bigger deal (here in the States) where customers want to see bulk for their buck. Which is prolly why I find SO many machines set to dose Lungo style shots even though the extra volume adds nothing (more likely detrimental) to the flavor. Of course, that's MY opinion :)

Enjoy the journey!

Posted May 7, 2013 link

im fairly i would say getting my shots ok now to my liking. i mean straight, and also adding 1oz to give more volume and prolong the a bit the drinking happiness. Its just that it crossed my mind about taking the crema off, i havent tested and tasted without one. Beans are pretty expensive here you know so this is a factor in my experimentation hehehe. so that is why im just asking from your experience hehehe

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LatteDude
LatteDude

Espresso: BES900XL/B (BDB)
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 4:39pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

2 Things:

1. I just happened to notice there is a listing on eBay and it's currently at $735, closing in 5 hours.  I've already confirmed it's the /B version with the seller.  Somebody might be able to snatch it for a low price if you're in the market.  Sorry if you already placed a bid and were hoping to fly under the radar!

2. What kind of water are you all using?  My area has VERY hard water, but I have a VERY expensive water softener.  That being said, I'm not so sure that's what I want to use.  I also have a nice R/O system under the kitchen sink, but I don't think I should use that either.  I was thinking about using a combination of my softened water and a very simple Brita filter pitcher.  Thoughts on this?  Also, do you think I could just leave the pitcher on the counter so as not to take up space in the fridge?  Do any of you actually purchase specific types of water from the grocery store for use in your BDB?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 8:23pm
Subject: breville pressure gauge fluctuation

hi everyone please help

my pressure gauge is fluctuates from 9.5 to less then back and then back

has this got to do with stale beans? or the machine itself?
how do i fix this?

MattOwn

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Looking
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 10:16pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

LatteDude Said:

2 Things:

I just happened to notice there is a listing on eBay and it's currently at $735, closing in 5 hours.  I've already confirmed it's the /B version with the seller.  Somebody might be able to snatch it for a low price if you're in the market.  Sorry if you already placed a bid and were hoping to fly under the radar!

What kind of water are you all using?  My area has VERY hard water, but I have a VERY expensive water softener.  That being said, I'm not so sure that's what I want to use.  I also have a nice R/O system under the kitchen sink, but I don't think I should use that either.  I was thinking about using a combination of my softened water and a very simple Brita filter pitcher.  Thoughts on this?  Also, do you think I could just leave the pitcher on the counter so as not to take up space in the fridge?  Do any of you actually purchase specific types of water from the grocery store for use in your BDB?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Thanks!

Posted May 7, 2013 link

Thanks for the heads up, LatteDude. I snagged it! Hope I didn't stiff a fellow CoffeeGeek with my snipe. Your water set-up sounds like mine. I am also interested in the best options for us to maximize taste and minimize scale/calcification. My water does taste good, so hopefully it is compatible with my new machine.
Cheers.
cafeespresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 2:29am
Subject: Re: breville pressure gauge fluctuation

carz07 Said:

hi everyone please help

my pressure gauge is fluctuates from 9.5 to less then back and then back

has this got to do with stale beans? or the machine itself?
how do i fix this?

Posted May 7, 2013 link

How is the coffee flowing? I suspect it is some issue with the coffee
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:15am

cafeespresso Said:

How is the coffee flowing? I suspect it is some issue with the coffee

Posted May 8, 2013 link

the cofi s flowng jst fine like its at 9.5, usualy d machne makes a sound aftr d prenfusion til d last second of d shot,bt ds time went it drops to like 7 or 6 bar,no sound cmes out din sound resumes wen it gets to d 9.5 9

OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:29am

carz07 Said:

the cofi s flowng jst fine like its at 9.5, usualy d machne makes a sound aftr d prenfusion til d last second of d shot,bt ds time went it drops to like 7 or 6 bar,no sound cmes out din sound resumes wen it gets to d 9.5 9

Posted May 8, 2013 link

Well, as nitpicky as I can be, I don't typically play grammar cop on the Internet.  However, this one really deserves a bit of recognition.  Wow.  Nicely done.
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:25am

OttoMatic Said:

Well, as nitpicky as I can be, I don't typically play grammar cop on the Internet.  However, this one really deserves a bit of recognition.  Wow.  Nicely done.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

my apologies if i sound illiterate to you. anyway english is not my native language, so expect that i have some grammar and spelling problems. also i was out to calm myself from the worry, and was using my phone to type the reply. i wanted to reply right away so that i dont lose the conversation. Im using alphanumeric keyboard and not qwerty and from where I am from, text usually goes like abbreviations. Im sorry and i will retype here below

revised: the coffee is flowing just fine like it's at 9.5. Usually the machine makes a sound after the preinfusion until the last second of the shot, but this time, when it drops to like 7 or 6 bars, there is no sound, and the sound resumes when it gets back to the 9.5 or 9 bars.

i appreciate the tips on grammar but for now i would highly appreciate tips regarding the matter on hand, thanks

wjordan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Breville BEX900XL
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precise
Roaster: Local - Hasbeans, London, ON
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:32am

carz07 Said:

revised: the coffee is flowing just fine like it's at 9.5. Usually the machine makes a sound after the preinfusion until the last second of the shot, but this time, when it drops to like 7 or 6 bars, there is no sound, and the sound resumes when it gets back to the 9.5 or 9 bars.

i appreciate the tips on grammar but for now i would highly appreciate tips regarding the matter on hand, thanks

Posted May 8, 2013 link

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on this machine, but I'd say if the pressure is stable around 9.5 you wouldn't be pushing the limit of the pump causing it to cut out. That said, the noise/no-noise description definitely sounds like the pump may be cutting out, so I'd lean more towards a problem with the machine, not the coffee (I've seen you comment regularly in this post, and your posts are very process focused, so I'd say you've probably got a pretty regimented process happening).

Just my $0.02

Wayne
cafeespresso

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: FR 8+, SC/Turbo CO
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:37am

carz07 Said:

my apologies if i sound illiterate to you. anyway english is not my native language, so expect that i have some grammar and spelling problems. also i was out to calm myself from the worry, and was using my phone to type the reply. i wanted to reply right away so that i dont lose the conversation. Im using alphanumeric keyboard and not qwerty and from where I am from, text usually goes like abbreviations. Im sorry and i will retype here below

Posted May 8, 2013 link

Wayne makes an interesting point.. I would grind coarser and try to pull the shot say at 8 or 9 bars to see if you see the same fluctuation...

When I had mine, If I pulled the shot too fine, it would hold steady at 9.5b so I think the machine may be the issue.  Good luck and hoping is nothing
showing page 208 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.495911836624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+