Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ADVICE please . upgrade to a rancilio with pid or nuova simonelli oscar?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ADVICE please ....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pcof

Espresso: on the hunt
Grinder: Lelit pl53
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:12am
Subject: ADVICE please . upgrade to a rancilio with pid or nuova simonelli oscar?

Hey I currently have a racilio silvia V3.
Just wanted to get some thoughts on what would be the better choice, getting a PID put on the silvia or upgrading to nuova simonelli oscar?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:19am
Subject: Re: ADVICE please . upgrade to a rancilio with pid or nuova simonelli oscar?

What is it that you expect from an upgrade?

A PID will relieve you from the need to do temperature surfing. The Oscar, being an entry level HX machine, will offer you among other things the possibility to brew and steam silultaneously, for example.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
pcof

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:24am
Subject: Re: ADVICE please . upgrade to a rancilio with pid or nuova simonelli oscar?

i'm looking for better efficiency.  I just don't know if the oscar is worth it.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:33am

Well, as far as I know the Oscar is even licenced for light commercial use. As with any HX machine you can pull consecutive shots with more or less consistent brewing temperature, unless you take the plumb-in version only limited by size of the water tank.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:05am

Silvia + PID = Siliva . . . you still have an SBDU machine.

Oscar = upgrade to a better class of machine.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Vetrano
Grinder: K10Fresh,LSM FK
Vac Pot: Vario,Pharos
Drip: Livia 90, NS Elli
Roaster: Sonofresco ADR
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 10:15am

I've really enjoyed both, but I'd completely base my recommendation on how many drinks you expect to make in a day, how close together, and how much milk will you be steaming?

Both can be found similarly priced used, and both are great options. I've more recently owned and enjoyed a PID V2 Silvia, which had the OPV modified to produce the ideal 9 bar of extraction pressure. So as a roaster, I found it to be an impressive tool given the price. It got up to ample steam power within 10-20 seconds, and I really enjoyed how the temperature control translated into the cup.

The Oscar is less adjustable, but the design is more temperature stable and solidly built (more of a commercial feel, despite the plastic case). I also really like the steam performance.

I'd have a hard time choosing between these machines, because they both have great strengths. If you aren't steaming much milk or making back to back drinks, a PID Silvia will make you very happy. An Oscar will also make you very happy as long as you learn the basics about using a heat exchanger.

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:08pm

I also own a Silvia V3.  I would stick with the Silvia for the usability.  1. Hot water tap  2. Can pull consecutive shots better with the PID.  3. Pressure profiling with the steam arm during espresso pull. 4. Temp control with the PID 5. Great steam considering its a single boiler.  Better with the PID because it maintains temp.   I looked into the Oscar but decided not to because it was more of a brew, steam and that's it machine. benpiff has a point the Oscar would put you in a whole new class of machines.  I simply wouldn't get it unless I was going to be brewing and frothing over and over at the same time.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pcof

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:26pm

thanks for all the advice. looks like i won't be getting the pid.
I make multiple milk drinks a night and sometimes 5-6 if there are guests.
but now that have been looking into similar price ranges of the oscar is seems like a couple of other machines are within the range, such as the quick mill silvano.
Anyone have thoughts about what would be the best machine in same price point as the oscar and has the ability to steam and brew at the same time?
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:39pm

The Quickmill Silvano is a thermoblock machine that has some pretty fancy features, but it still doesn't have the steam power of the Oscar. The Oscar has the largest boiler of any home machine and, from what I'm told, the most steaming power. You also might want to consider the La Nuova Era Cuadra, which is also an HX machine. It's shinier than the Oscar and features an E61 grouphead, but has a smaller boiler and isn't light commercial machine.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:24pm

What Kelvan said, I have a Sylvia for travel use on vacation and it used to be with me at work. I rebuilt it and installed a PID and I would switch it in an instant for an Oscar or the La Nuova if someone offered to trade, I could not switch fast enough!

For your use, a HX machine much better fits the service you do. I have used an Oscar to keep a party of 30 people happy and the same machine sat on my counter and served only me too. Keep an eye out on the BST board too, good deals happen every now and then when someone moves up to a new "dream" machine.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ADVICE please ....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.435410022736)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+