Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Newbie seeking advice
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie seeking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:52am
Subject: Re: Newbie seeking advice

The primary 3 vendors(mentioned here) have free shipping.  I went with Chris coffee but the others seem stand up also
 View Profile Link to this post
Tellis

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:01am

Thanks for the last two postings; i appreciate the help. I'll make the calls this morning, but my bet is that the free shipping won't apply to Honolulu, Hawaii.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:12am

coffeestig Said:

The primary 3 vendors(mentioned here) have free shipping.  I went with Chris coffee but the others seem stand up also

Posted March 4, 2013 link

While it's true that they offer free shipping, remember that the OP lives in Hawai'i -- it may be that "free shipping" applies only to the "continental United States."  This is often the case.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:32am

Tony, one more piece of recommended reading for you, this time on the various Types of Machines.

The Silvia is a very good machine, but is overpriced in today's market for what it is.  That said, they are solid, well-built, and durable -- you may wish to check out the availability of a USED Silvia via craigslist, etc.  If buying new, I absolutely agree that the Gaggia Classic is a much better way to go than the Rancilio Silvia.  In terms of shipping, you may be able to get away with it completely via a store like Sur la Table, Williams-Sonoma, or other "high(er)-end" kitchen store.  

That said, look at the Gaggia Classic ($399) and the Le'lit PL041 ($429).  These are two SBDU machines often recommended instead of the Silvia, and are priced where the Silvia should be.

In terms of a grinder, in an ideal situation, I'd suggest either the Baratza Vario or the Baratza Vario-W.  These, too, you should be able to find in Hawai'i, and thereby avoid shipping changes.  Another option would be to look for a USED grinder -- either a , or a Mazzer Super Jolly, and then purchase a new set of burrs.  

Cheers,
Jason

Tellis

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:37am

Ok, I'm back. The people at 1st Line and Whole Latta Love were very helpful. The guy at 1st In Coffee not as much. So far, a Lelit machine/grinder package for $650 delivered or a Gaggia Classic with MDF grinder for a little bit less. I'll stay away from Amazon and patronize the coffee people. Decision likely by the end of the day, but will wait to see if further postings further confuse me. Thanks!
coffeestig

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:44am

Tellis Said:

Ok, I'm back. The people at 1st Line and Whole Latta Love were very helpful. The guy at 1st In Coffee not as much. So far, a Lelit machine/grinder package for $650 delivered or a Gaggia Classic with MDF grinder for a little bit less. I'll stay away from Amazon and patronize the coffee people. Decision likely by the end of the day, but will wait to see if further postings further confuse me. Thanks!

Posted March 4, 2013 link

The worst will be the anxiety from reading and finding new variables between ordering and receiving shipment!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:54am

Tony,

a) no one really recommends 1st in Coffee all that much, especially in comparison to 1st-Line, Chris' Coffee Service, Seattle Coffee Gear, and WLL (along with a few others).

b) depending upon what your budget allows, try for the Baratza over the Le'Lit grinder, and the Le'Lit grinder over the MDF . . . I had a Gaggia MDF for 25 years, and it will do -- but you'll be happier with the Baratza.  Two reasons:  1) it's a better grinder; and 2) if you decide in the future to upgrade your machine (I know, I know, you haven't even bought it yet!), the Baratza can carry you to the next level; an MDF will not.

Just my 2¢,probably worth far less, keep the change . . . .

Tellis

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:21am

Got it Jason; thank you.  Off to work soon. Will ponder tonight and order mañana. Heavily leaning towards the Lelit package as the Baratza will bump it $260, money that I'll no doubt be able to spend elsewhere in this pending habit. I have another 24 hours to waffle...
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 10:39am

IMAWriter Said:

Doesn't help that the $8 Costco 1.5 power computer glasses are great at 3 feet, but the keyboard type pad is a blur. (Double cataract surgery)

Posted March 3, 2013 link

Robert, sorry to hear about the outcome on the cats surgery - my father's first eye failed miserably; we  hope it was low pressure glaucoma, but he's now preparing to undergo the other eye here in the spring.  I hear you about the reading glasses... I used that dodge for prescription glass as long as I could.  

One thing I might suggest you look in to is called Superfocus . They market direct on the web, as well as have some Opthamologist/Optometrists glasses shops in their network.  You may have seen a promo on television.  Anyway, the product is another early adopter thingie (like Brev 900xl s :) )  but the idea is, using an oil filled lens you can change the culmination point to whatever reading distance you need between under your nose to about 48 inches out.  I've been wearing mine daily since September last and so far they work - they work VERY well.  As you can imagine though, being new fangled they do not have the support of subsidy with VSP or any of the other insurance companies yet. That said expect a cost of admission around 500 $US. I would also note, they ground my astigmatism correction perfectly - first time ever. And this is something which is a secondary lens over the adjustable focal length oil assembly; so you can update as you may need to for changing geometry of the eyes over your life.

/end shameless plug of a product I'll never see a penny of referral benefit for...  (oh well, I do need to find some way to supplement my retirement - some day...)
Regards,
-Chris
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 11:36am

+1 to superfocus. I don't like not having a full view of the computer screen so progressives were out.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Newbie seeking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.45556306839)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+