Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Used Isomac Zaffiro Espresso Machine vs. Used Oscar Simonelli
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Used Isomac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MightyQuinn
MightyQuinn
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 3:39pm
Subject: Used Isomac Zaffiro Espresso Machine vs. Used Oscar Simonelli

Hi,

I am new to all this but love love love my java
I am a straight up espresso girl
and now considering buying a used machine to save some $$ as a beginner

I am looking at either a Isomac Zaffiro Espresso Machine for $750 or an Oscar Simonelli for $550 or the Office Lever Semi-Automatic Expobar if I can get it close to max of $1000

I will be using it with my used Mazzer Jolly

Thoughts??

Monica
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:29pm
Subject: Re: Used Isomac Zaffiro Espresso Machine vs. Used Oscar Simonelli

I'm obviously biased, but the Oscar is a Heat Exchange machine, which means better temperature stability and the ability to steam milk at the same time (not that it matters for straight shots). Still, the Oscar is a light prosumer machine, NSF4 rated for light cafe use, the Isomac is a Single Boiler, Dual Use machine, which are more entry-level. The Oscar has one of the largest boilers of any home machine out there, to my knowledge, at 2.3 Liters.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:58pm

If I was starting now I would get a Quick Mill Silvano.

www.chriscoffee.com/Quickmill_Silvano_p/4005.htm

Don't forget to include a proper grinder!

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
MightyQuinn
MightyQuinn

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:00pm

thank you!  This sounds like good news since the used Oscar is the one that would cost me the least amount and I do not need a hot water spigot since for that I could just boil water for tea mood.
MightyQuinn
MightyQuinn

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:05pm

Wow!  The Quickmill Silvano is $995 which is in my price limitations.  Explain how this machine compares to the Oscar Simonelli if you know and what does it being 15 amps mean to me?  I basically will only use this machine for espresso with the rare occasion of serving a friend a cap if they want.
MightyQuinn
MightyQuinn

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:21pm

This is the spec info on the Isomac Zaffiro

Product Information
The Isomac Zaffiro is one most recommended and highly regarded espresso machines on the market today. Perfect for heavy use, this prosumer machine is the perfect addition to any home or small office. Don't let its smaller design and shiny stainless steel housing fool you. This machine is a bull, weighing it at 46 power-filled pounds.

Product Identifiers
Brand Isomac
Model Zaffiro Stainless Steel
MPN ISOZAFFIRO

Key Features
Type Espresso Machine
Operation Source Electric
Max. Power 1400 Watts

Tech Details
Built-in Grinder Without Built-in Grinder
Exterior Color Silver
Features Cup Warming Surface, Thermostat
Max. Pump Pressure 14.19 BAR
Water Tank Size 101.44 oz.

Dimensions
Depth 16.93 in.
Height 16.14 in.
Width 9.06 in.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:27pm

15 Amps means it can plug into pretty much any electrical outlet, rather than a heavy duty one. The Silvano is a little SBDU machine, which means it has a small boiler for both steam and hot water. The only advantage--which doesn't really translate--over the Oscar is the PID, which is a little controller chip so you can dial in your temperature. It's okay for the price, but please don't let the plastic exterior of the Oscar fool you. It is the superior machine in the running and is in a separate class entirely. Check out the big teardown project me, Helen, and Peter did here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK_z80DrqdI

It can also plug into 15 Amps and doesn't need any plumbing either. The Silvano doesn't have a commercial size brew group, like the Isomac or Nuova Simonelli. The Isomac is nice, but if you're going E61, save up for an HX or Dual Boiler machine. The price you'd pay for your Oscar is the same I paid for mine, and I'm almost certain it's in better condition. Are these machines local, where you can look at them?
MightyQuinn
MightyQuinn

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:33pm

Thank you.  It seems that going with an Oscar may be the right choice.  The one I am looking at is not local so I'd be taking a chance of course.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 4:37am

Markarian Said:

15 Amps means it can plug into pretty much any electrical outlet, rather than a heavy duty one. The Silvano is a little SBDU machine, which means it has a small boiler for both steam and hot water. The only advantage--which doesn't really translate--over the Oscar is the PID, which is a little controller chip so you can dial in your temperature. It's okay for the price, but please don't let the plastic exterior of the Oscar fool you. It is the superior machine in the running and is in a separate class entirely.

Posted March 1, 2013 link

The 0.7 liter boiler (only 0.1 liter smaller than the Zaffiro) is on the larger side of "little" and it definitely is not a SBDU machine. The boiler is dedicated to making the well controlled shot while the steam is provided by a thermoblock with a separate pump. It, like the Oscar, cam steam milk and pull a shot at the same time. When you only want to pull a shot, the steam bank can be left off by an external switch to save energy. The drip tray is massive too, which I like. I have an Oscar too but hated the small drip tray and difficulty filling the water tank (which you will be doing a lot) but the Silvano is fillable from the side for convenience. The Silvano machine provides very stable shot temps. The addition of the externally adjustable pressure measured by a gauge along with the PID provides the feedback needed to tweak for the best settings for a given coffee blend.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Click Here (blog.bellabarista.co.uk)

http://www.chriscoffee.com/Quickmill_Silvano_p/4005.htm

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

The Silvano offers a lot of bang for the buck and looks beautiful doing it.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013, 5:07am

If you haven't already guessed, us coffee geeks like to steer newcomers down our respective paths once we become settled and happy. It helps us cost-justify our crazy hobby and also helps us better get you started. Don't get me wrong, the Silvano is a fine machine, it's just in a separate class. I think either one would probably suit your needs fine. I stand corrected on the Silvano. Thermoblock machines are kind of their own special thing and are making waves recently, especially with the relatively new Crossland CC1 (similar to the Silvano in many respects, though cheaper and not as heavy duty). I need to level with you in that a used Oscar can very likely have issues that require opening the case and getting out the metric wrenches. If you'd rather not face that possibility, then a new Silvano might be the way to go. I would make sure you ask how old it is, how many times it was used on average, if it was stored for any length of time with water in the boiler, and most importantly, why it's being sold.

Another fine machine you may want to consider in your price range is the La Nuova Era Cuadra, which is a smaller HX machine than the Oscar, but features the classic E61 brewhead, which allows for better temperature stability and some just plain cool looks:

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

A quick aside: Eric, if the drip tray on the Oscar is small than the one on the Silvano must be usable as a bathtub!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Used Isomac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414870977402)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+