Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best Tamper for the VST?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Tamper for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 7:11am
Subject: Re: Best Tamper for the VST?

Anyone know the reason why VST went with a flat bottom for their tamper versus a curved bottom? Any reason a curved bottom would not work as well with a VST basket?
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 7:55am

slybarman Said:

Anyone know the reason why VST went with a flat bottom for their tamper versus a curved bottom? Any reason a curved bottom would not work as well with a VST basket?

Posted March 3, 2013 link

i can say with no certainty but IMO the decision for flat had to do with extraction tests and flat probably won. Many conversations early on with VST with people trying all types of tampers.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 8:40am

Kelvin, I have at least three -- probably four -- tampers.  All are from Cafelat, or its predecessor Bumper.  All cost more than $19.99.  Why?  Because a) I like other Cafelat/Bumper products, and b) I like the way they feel in my hand.  All have a convex bottom except the newest one (flat) that I use with my VST baskets.

FWIW, I only have two VST baskets, and I use them for straight SO espresso shots -- don't ask me why -- whereas I use my "regular" ridgeless baskets for (primarily) milk drinks.

But JonR is absolutely right:  tamping is the least important part of the process . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 9:23am

germantownrob Said:

i can say with no certainty but IMO the decision for flat had to do with extraction tests and flat probably won. Many conversations early on with VST with people trying all types of tampers.

OK - thanks.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 9:43am

AntWilliams90 Said:

I'm currently using a 'standard' 58mm tamper, and there is a fairly obvious gap between its edge and the wall of my VST basket. This means that a straight tamp leaves a wall of untamped coffee running up the side of the filter basket, and means that the edges of the puck are not as tightly packed as the centre.

Posted March 2, 2013 link

There is a gap in this logic.  

The small ridge of untamped grounds on top of a puck has no effect on the extraction.  Tamping once, straight down in the middle, will force the puck grounds down and outwards as the coffee is compacted, so you can get a good edge seal even if the tamper is a bit undersized.  

Here's an experiment:
Try preparing two baskets with exactly the same distribution of grounds in the basket.  Then tamp one with your current style and one with a single tamp motion straight down in the middle, no tap no twist no NESW no polish...just one press straight down.  

Then see if you can see or taste any difference in the shot.  (Note: it would be prefereable to have someone else actually pull the two shots from already-prepped baskets so you would not know which was which when tasting).

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 11:11pm

germantownrob Said:

Initially I had a tough time getting a clean shot from the VSTs - until I did away with all the superfluous tricks and relied only on a nice, simple leveling of the basket and a plain straight down tamp.  (If this sounds familiar, read Jon's suggested test prep above.)  

While we know that the brew water does not proceed straight down in perfectly columnar lockstep from the top of the puck to the bottom - it apparently meanders a little and the path is far from straight - the VST baskets are designed to behave according to the simplest possible linear model, working best with plano-parallel top and bottom puck surfaces and the most consistent density throughout, as if water arrives at the top surface and oozes straight down through the cake, extracting as it goes.

The only way to achieve this is to simplify-simplify-simplify, no NESW, no nutating tamps, no bangs or knocks.  Just envision the water coming straight down from the shower screen and proceeding like a zillion collinear vectors through the coffee and out the bottom. For the greatest evenness, you want to handle that coffee coming from the grinder to the absolute minimum degree possible, since most handling decreases consistency instead of improving it.

With this brewing model in mind, the tamper requirement is clear: dead-flat, edge-to-edge.

Regarding the tamper piston diameter and the precise fitting to the basket's edges, a perfect wall-to-wall fit is theoretically ideal for the same reasons, and the improved circularity from VST makes tightly fitting custom tampers usable (most other baskets have a slightly oval shape, so a perfectly circular, perfectly sized tamper piston would actually jam in practice).  And sure enough, careful extraction measurements seem to confirm a statistically significant improvement when perfectly fitting tampers are used. But "statistically significant" and "meaningful" - with respect to the taste in the cup - are altogether different. (My neighbor can prove that his car really DOES - with 99.9% confidence - get at least .001 miles-per-gallon better than mine, but who cares.)

So yes, I think that careful people with well-calibrated test designs and equipment can prove that a 58.4mm tamper extracts a tiny bit more total dissolved solids, but as Jon suggests, not enough - or consistently enough - to reliably or conclusively taste.

All this said, I DO use a tighter-fitting tamper myself - but to be honest, it was more a question of "why not" than any expectations about obvious or even subtle taste differences.  Mostly, I like the way they clean any clinging coffee off the basket sides when tamping.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 6:53am

Good info. I ordered a new 58.35 mm flat base for my existing handle off ebay yesterday. I'll be interested to see if it helps simplify getting a nice even tamp over my existing 58mm.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 12:53pm

I'm thinking of ordering one of the tampers from Hai Pham soon. Also, what's with the ripple bottom? Does that do anything special?
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:46pm

The ripple-bottomed tamper leaves a series of concentric circular ridges in the top of the puck.  I've heard that the ripple's proposition is to counteract inconsistencies in the puck or dispersion, and therefore encourage a better and more even flow.  If true, this appears to be altogether contrary to VST's fundamental tenet of optimal extraction requiring the most even and consistent basket preparation possible.

That said, I remember that Jared Rennie uses these ripple tampers almost as a trademark item at Noble Coffee Roasting, his beautiful cafe in Ashland Oregon.  If you're driving I-5 near the Oregon/California line, consider Noble a required stop for any Coffee Geek; it's that good.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013, 4:36am

I received the new tamper base (58.35mm) from Hai Pham. It arrived very quickly and was of very good quality. I got to try it this morning. It does make getting a nice even tamp in the VST basket easier than it was with my prior base. I only had to tamp once versus having to do NSEW with the old one. I would say it was a worthwhile upgrade.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Tamper for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.52624797821)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+