Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Any experience with Istana Kitchen?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any experience...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hughcam1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 9:41am
Subject: Any experience with Istana Kitchen?

There's an online retailer called Istana Kitchen.  Their prices seem to be really low (e.g. new Rocket R58 for $1,900, $400 below what I've seen refurbed ones on other sites).  Seems too good to be true but damn, the prices are enticing.

Anyone have experience dealing with them?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 9:47am
Subject: Re: Any experience with Istana Kitchen?

"Indonesia supplier of Coffee Maker,Espresso Machines,Grinder,Food Processing."

Hmmm no way I would send them money.  IF it looks too good to be true... it probably is.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 1:46pm

Another overly expensive hobby of mine is photography. As more and more people become interested in taking high quality pictures, and the prices of DSLR cameras come down, a plethora of retailers have sprung up online to take advantage of this popularity. A notable phenomenon is what I like to call the Camera Mafia, which is a shady, interconnected series of different websites that is traceable to only a few people in the NYC area. They will often offer fantastic deals--too good to be true--on cameras. A savvy photographer will buy the camera and then shortly receive a high pressure phone call from a sales rep who wants to upsell them cheap accessories at a huge markup. If you continue to politely refuse and just say you want your camera body only, the one you got $300 off, they will nastily tell you "Well, it's no longer in stock" and cancel your order. Sometimes they'll even swear at you. It's like buying a Izzo Alex Duetto III for only $1700, only to receive a call from the retailer, urging you to buy 5lbs of Kopi Luwak espresso blend for another $600, and a gold-plated PF handle for $200, etc. You tell them you just want the machine--that you already have E61 gear, they tell you it isn't in stock.

Now this outfit may simply take your money. But if it IS legit, my guess is that it might have something to do with currency exchange rates and that the Indonesians are taking advantage of them to offer the machines at lower prices. But I'm not an economist, and what I've read simply implies that it's a scam.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 4:45pm

We -- as a community -- have yet to come across an Indonesian site that's legit.  Buyer beware!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 7:18pm

Lines like:

Minimum Purchase:
5 unit(s)

And:

Shipping:
Calculated at checkout

should stop you before giving credit card info to this sort of establishment.

Spend a couple hundred more to buy it from a person who has given you a reason (Or several) to believe they agree the machine is right for you and has a door you can carry it back through when you need it looked at.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Any experience...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364896059036)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+