Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on Current Models such as the...
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Casca

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 8:59am
Subject: Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on Current Models such as the...

Giga 5
Impressa J9

--------------

I've searched on the forums and found a lot of people were poo poo-ing the idea of the super autoroboto espresso machines a few years ago.  I also read more recently (within the last few months) that several machines were getting positive write-ups here on the site (S9, F9 which are pretty old machines).

I have both of the machines above because of what I do for a living, and I wanted to know if anyone here has had a chance to try the finished product(s) from either of these machines.

Things to note:
Jura seems to have gone to great lengths to come across as "modern".  The Impressa J9 and the Giga 5 have color screens (but they aren't touch enabled), both have settings for dose, temp, etc...  Aside from costing as much as a used car (I would like to take that out of the equation because what really matters is whether or not it can do what it needs to do right? Cost is only an issue should you have to ask, and that really isn't their demographic so it would be unfair to factor it in. Think about reviewing a Super Yacht and then complaining that it was 120 million dollars...)

Once I hear what you guys/gals think I'll share my candid opinion with you if you want it :)  I suspect the vast majority of people on this forum will not have them but may have been by a dealer or at an expo and had the opportunity to taste the end product.  If you are in the Chicago area the 2013 Housewares show is going on and I'm pretty sure the Jura folks will be there. I will likely attend there should be a lot of Coffee related stuff going on there... I heard about a coffee printer that syncs with the iPhone to print a 20x20 "pixel" image of foam on the top of your cup.  For those of us that are artistically challenged and a sucker for all that is nerd... it's interesting :)

To Anyone looking to Troll my post: (Obi Wan Kenobi Reference and link)
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:12am
Subject: Re: Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on Current Models such as the.

I have a Jura in my office... my 400$ Breville (QM67 on the way) makes better espresso but is a lot more work.  Also, a local cigar shop owner was asking my recommendation and I recommended a jura.  At work I want people working and at the cigar shop, time to make a drink us a bug deal as is training people to use it.  Would I have one in MY home? -never.  Do they fill a need? absolutely.  Still better than Army coffee though!
Casca

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:15am
Subject: Re: Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on Current Models such as the.

LOL that's a great opinion.  I like the way you convey your great sense of humor and personality in your writing.  Now when you say you have "a Jura" I'm assuming it is _not_ one of the two machines that I listed in my OP?  If so, I'd love to know which Jura we are talking about.  Thanks!
coffeestig

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:24am

Casca Said:

LOL that's a great opinion.  I like the way you convey your great sense of humor and personality in your writing.  Now when you say you have "a Jura" I'm assuming it is _not_ one of the two machines that I listed in my OP?  If so, I'd love to know which Jura we are talking about.  Thanks!

Posted February 28, 2013 link

It is the J9.  I play with the Giga 5 at SirLaTable all of the time though and am very familiar with it.
Casca

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:26am

coffeestig Said:

It is the J9.  I play with the Giga 5 at SirLaTable all of the time though and am very familiar with it.

Interesting... So is your opinion the same for the Giga 5 as well?
coffeestig

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 9:56am

Casca Said:

Interesting... So is your opinion the same for the Giga 5 as well?

Yes.  Although it matters more what you think since its what you like to use.  I have many smitten starbucks friends for example that love their daily venti's and are happy with drip sbux at home.  What are your thoughts?.
Casca

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:14am

coffeestig Said:

Yes.  Although it matters more what you think since its what you like to use.  I have many smitten starbucks friends for example that love their daily venti's and are happy with drip sbux at home.  What are your thoughts?.

I was hoping for more of a response from others as well before tendering my opinion on the machines.  I would not drink a starbucks coffee if they paid me to do so.  I've never cared for the taste of burned anything.  Their beans are far from fresh which is why they need to make mocha (insert relevant starbucks lingo) flavored (ice) (no ice) / lots of whipped cream to mask it.  On the flip side their pumpkin muffins offered in the fall are really good :)  *the one with the cream cheese on the top

**Another note, when I said I have both machines, I did not mean to imply that I have them at my home for personal use. I'm currently evaluating both machines and just like everything else I review I will likely sell them off for whatever I can get for them and write off whatever loss I take on them.  (Yes I could get them from Jura directly but we have a policy that prohibits that type of interaction with manufacturers.) I write for several other publications that are smaller that do not have that policy, but those are units that have to be shipped back when the review is finished).
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:53am
Subject: Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on Current Models such as the...

I have never tried it but I would think an Oscar outfitted for pods might be a good office machine.  It can stay on all the time, easy to fix, robust and if you take away the tamping and grinding should be doable by anyone.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Casca

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:50am
Subject: Re: Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on

Well that's a pretty good thought. ;)  My task as a reviewer can be complicated sometimes.  It's easy to fall into the mindset that this machine can't make the type of product that I'm used to because I use another system that relies on a more manual process for instance.

It would be irresponsible of me to allow that to cloud my judgement  because in the end if you are doing an comparative review or reviewing a product in a stand-alone setting based on its own merit... you are still really doing a comparative review in your head.  So what you have to do is ultimately give ground to a different mind set, in this case how are other super automatics doing with the final result?  How does this cup of coffee, or this espresso compare to the results from those machines.

Because in the end... the reader wanted to know (most of the time) whether it did well because they had neither the time or the inclination to go through the process of making their own with a manual contraption of their choice (or several for that matter).  They are reading the review of a super automatic because they are either dreaming of owning one (in which case they are not generally a manual process person) or they are planning to purchase one (in which case they are likely not a manual process person).  There is two other categories of person that read reviews on super automatics, those that own them and want or need someone else to tell them they spent $3,600 wisely (I'd even venture to say that this is a fairly large percentage of people) and then the 1% that do it manually and want to read the article so they can say the reviewer has their heads up their rear-end  because they are doing it with this manual device and that manual device yields a much better tasting cup.

The fact of the matter is at the end of the day it is really all just opinion, but I'm paid to stay on topic and to use standards that are placed on best practices in those particular areas to determine 'success' or 'failure'. I can't say this $5500 Jura Giga 5 sucks badly because I can make my cup of espresso at home on my $900 manual and it tastes 10 times better.  It would be a lot like saying this Honda Civic sucks because I can go through 4 feet of snow in my jacked up four wheelin' muddin' truck.  

So when I say the Jura J9 and Giga 5 is best in class in my opinion it is because every other Super Automatic I've tried in the last 5 years didn't come close.  For those folks that have no intention of doing a manual pull, those two machines are probably the closest they will come to a one-touch solution that tastes great to them. That is my opinion, and I think either of those machines make a fine beverage if you are tired and just want a quick cup to get you through the next two articles so you can go to bed :)

Alternately, when I do have the time I treat myself to the pleasure of a real pull or two and to be honest... the contrast is what makes those times extra special.  If everything was 100% amazing then nothing would be special.

Thanks for the time folks, I appreciate the two of you who took the time to venture an opinion.
coffeestig

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: Jura Capresso Machines - Looking for Opinions on Current Models such as th

Casca,

This is an interesting first post/topic for a professional.  You should introduce yourself more formally.  What machine do you use at home and what is your favorite since you've been able to test so many.

Starbucks has a place... albeit a marketing company and not a coffee company... if nothing else it is a gateway drug for communities like this... which my girlfriend refers to as a support group.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.436245918274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+