Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help for a first timer?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help for a first...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: Help for a first timer?

DaninMaryland Said:

thats not what i understood.  They originally had the viruoso, then introducted a Preciso that had a different burrs.  then they started adding hte preciso burrs to the viruso and called it virtuoso preciso to indicate it had the preciso's burrs.  so at one point there was a virtuoso, virtuoso preciso, and preciso... then they eventually just called it virtuoso since they all hadthe preciso burrs now...

that was from my research when trying to figure out which to buy.  They both have the same exact burrs now (preciso), but the Preciso has the micro adjustment that the Virtuoso does not have any longer.

i could be wrong, but i am pretty sure that was the evolution...at least from my non-scientific internet based research...

you know, they cant lie on the internet, so...

Posted February 27, 2013 link

ANY Baratza that says PRECISO IS a Preciso, with the greater adjustment and bigger burr-set...PERIOD.
It is a wonderful grinder for both espresso and coarser grinding, and has ALL the adjustability you could want, just not as adjustable as is the more expensive Vario/Vario-W.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Phrasemonger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:44pm

It seems I've created a bit of confusion hahaha. Sorry guys.
This is the Virtuoso Preciso I'd be able to get Click Here (www.idrinkcoffee.com)

It appears to be just the Preciso? Now that I actually read into it, it may be a better choice for me - I'd like the ability to grind both for espresso and for normal coffee, and the stepless function on the PL53 might make that difficult? I think? Feel free to correct me, I know nothing about this stuff.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:52pm

The gearbox was changed in production over 1 year ago.  Confirm that it is the new version, as the new ones only say Preciso unless they changed it again.  Vendor photo could be old.  You or the vendor can easily confirm through SN and/or through Baratza.com that it is a new model with all upgrades.  Yes it is Preciso.

All that said, changing back and forth is not much fun when trying to keep a preciso espresso grind.  Many would say get cheeper second grinder for coffee.  If you only occasionally change it wold probably be fine.  Having 2 grinders is not specific to which brand you buy, just a practical convenience.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
DaninMaryland

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2 Silvia
Grinder: Vario-W
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:53pm

Phrasemonger Said:

It seems I've created a bit of confusion hahaha. Sorry guys.
This is the Virtuoso Preciso I'd be able to get Click Here (www.idrinkcoffee.com)

It appears to be just the Preciso? Now that I actually read into it, it may be a better choice for me - I'd like the ability to grind both for espresso and for normal coffee, and the stepless function on the PL53 might make that difficult? I think? Feel free to correct me, I know nothing about this stuff.

the one you linked to is indeed the Preciso, as it has the micro adjustment.  i have this one and its really good, although i just returned it to get the Vario-W

it is easy to go back and forth between espresso and drip/french press/etc. as long as you dont play with the micro adjustment and remember the macro setting

havent seen a virtuoso preciso for a while...i would email the seller and make sure its the latest and greatest model of the preciso, there were some updates to it a while ago, just dont know when.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:00pm

DaninMaryland Said:

the one you linked to is indeed the Preciso, as it has the micro adjustment.  i have this one and its really good, although i just returned it to get the Vario-W

it is easy to go back and forth between espresso and drip/french press/etc. as long as you dont play with the micro adjustment and remember the macro setting

havent seen a virtuoso preciso for a while...i would email the seller and make sure its the latest and greatest model of the preciso, there were some updates to it a while ago, just dont know when.

+1.
IU have an older one, not a minute of trouble with it.
To our OP: However, if it is an older one, I'd ask for a nice discount, at least 10%. You have nothing to lose by asking!
BTW, none of this is to say the Lelit is a bad grinder. I just prefer the logistics and flexibility of the Baratza preciso to do all grinds, as it is VERY adept at vac pot/French press/drip, etc.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:04pm

See, in the end we just need a "Staples easy" button, "That was Easy."

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:08pm

D4F Said:

See, in the end we just need a "Staples easy" button, "That was Easy."

:>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
Phrasemonger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:09pm

Hahaha you guys are amazing, thank you all for your help.

I think I'm going to go with the Preciso grinder. I don't plan on doing a TON of drip grinding, but I like that I have the option to easily switch to it if I want to.
Plus, if I'm going to be a little bit vain, I think it looks a lot nicer than the PL53. I'll definitely contact them and see if it's the most recent model, or something older.

Thanks again guys, you're all brilliant. Can't wait to start this new obsession.
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:18pm

I think you've made a great choice (and I would lean towards the Preciso) for your budget. I had a Lelit PL071 with an aftermarket PID installed and I found it much more forgiving and consistent compared to my previous Silvia.

With a little practice and good beans, you should be able to make awesome espresso.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 3:23pm

Phrasemonger Said:

Hahaha you guys are amazing, thank you all for your help.

I think I'm going to go with the Preciso grinder. I don't plan on doing a TON of drip grinding, but I like that I have the option to easily switch to it if I want to.
Plus, if I'm going to be a little bit vain, I think it looks a lot nicer than the PL53. I'll definitely contact them and see if it's the most recent model, or something older.

Thanks again guys, you're all brilliant. Can't wait to start this new obsession.

We have a GREAT and giving membership here.
BTW, PLEASE use the resources here for help. Also, there are a ton of great videos on YouTube, etc.
Don't forget to include about $100CDN for the extras you'll need: a good milk steaming pitcher, a proper stainless tamper, a knockbox, cleaning products.
EDIT: perhaps your vendor might "throw in" a knockbox or steaming pitcher!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help for a first...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.458713054657)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+