Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 209 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Well I am finally back in business!  I got a replacement machine last Friday, and unfortunately it didn't work!  It seemed like the OPV was set to 0, water came out of the steam wand and hot water dispenser just fine, but nothing out of the group, with the pressure stuck at 0.  However, I could hear the pump and the trickle of the water back into the reservoir.

Called Breville up again, and they sent me another replacement that I got today.  This one works, hooray! :)

They want me to send the broken replacement to a special place in California so their engineers can tinker with it.  Oh well, a bit more delayed than I would like, but I do still appreciate their willingness to send a new machine out with few questions asked, even out of warranty.
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 5:27pm
Subject: Good deal Selzoc

But jeez... OPV set to 0?

Good to know they are out to take care of you. My machines don't have warranties (eBay purchases), so I appreciate you sharing your experience. I wouldn't expect such treatment, but it's good to know that might happen if I need it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:07pm
Subject: Re: breville pressure gauge fluctuation

cafeespresso Said:

Wayne makes an interesting point.. I would grind coarser and try to pull the shot say at 8 or 9 bars to see if you see the same fluctuation...

When I had mine, If I pulled the shot too fine, it would hold steady at 9.5b so I think the machine may be the issue.  Good luck and hoping is nothing

Posted May 8, 2013 link

ok i will try a coarser grind to check on this.

what do you mean by "when i had mine"? you encountered this issue also?

by the way thanks mr. wayne. as much as i want that it will be coffee problem rather than a machine, i cant get no tech support from breville - outside location hehehe - and if does leads to the machine is there a way to fix this from the back or something?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 6:55pm
Subject: Re: breville pressure gauge fluctuation

ok after a test, here it is

the usual grind setting i have is E2 on the baratza
yesterday when i pulled i shot it fluctuates

today as per suggestion on coarser grind
i moved it to E3, and the pressure says 8bars and steady with gushing flow of coffee

then tested E2 and the pressure says bit more than 8bars then starts to fluctuate but just until 7 and 6  

just for a test i did E1 and then pressure goes 9 bar and then fluctuates to 7 and moves to 9 then drops to 6.5 then moves to 9 then drops to 6.5 then goes to 8.5 and then drops to 6 until the end of the cup at max 8bar, the range has a gradual drop as if the range is dropping

PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 8:47pm
Subject: fluctuations

That sounds bad Carz07. Like maybe the OPV is failing? Or maybe the pump, if you're not hearing it run like it used to.

I suspect you need to have it serviced, but maybe someone else will have another idea for you.

Does the pressure jump that much when using the cleaning disc?
carz07
carz07

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:30pm
Subject: Re: fluctuations

PrescottCR Said:

That sounds bad Carz07. Like maybe the OPV is failing? Or maybe the pump, if you're not hearing it run like it used to.

I suspect you need to have it serviced, but maybe someone else will have another idea for you.

Does the pressure jump that much when using the cleaning disc?

Posted May 8, 2013 link

i will test using a cycle clean to see with the pressure

the last time it flashed clean me the pressure is at 9.5

im very bothered with this as i dont have service here

PHM

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:28am
Subject: Recent owner of a Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL.

Hi I'm new to coffee geek but not new to learning about coffee.  This is my first post here.  I just got a Breville Dual Boiler and I love it.  I am hoping to perfect my skills at least well enough to do some kind of simple latte art, mainly so that I know I've pulled a good shot and textured milk correctly.  I've gotten close but haven't yet accomplished this, even though I've had the machine a few weeks now.  I am making steady improvement, however.

Anyway, just wanted to post here and I look forward to sharing experiences with others.  I really love this machine so far and I'm really glad I spent the money to get a good machine, replacing an old Krups that finally broke down.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 9:06am
Subject: Re: Recent owner of a Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL.

Hi Philip, welcome to the family!
I can tell you're already enjoying the benefits of a tool that can make the kind of coffee you're looking for.
Good luck with the latte art... I give the practice 'lip' service each time I make a milk drink for the significant other (or myself on occasion... ~ ) but your mouth knows good milk micro-foam when it touches it. Don't worry too much over the journey. I've heard from someone that life is more about journeys than destinations! Just keep doing yourself the favor of good fresh roast coffees; let your taste buds and mouth let you know how you're going.
Mysonssecondwordwascoffee

Espresso: Breville DB BES900XL
Grinder: Barratza Vario-W
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 4:07am
Subject: Re: Recent owner of a Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL.

On the topic of latte art:
I do get pretty darn tasty microfoam with the Dual Boiler, but have a hard time doing bona fide latte art.
When I shared my frustration with the friendly baristas at Joe's they commiserated: They use the BDB for catering gigs (pretty cool endorsement for the machine, I would say), and in terms of steaming prowess it just does not compare to the Marzoccos they have plumbed in in at their stores...
Anybody on this forum with awesome BDB latte art? Can it be done? Care to attach jpg/gif?
Thanks for sharing in advance!
occoffeefan

Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 5:41am
Subject: Re: Latte Art

yes, the Breville has less steaming power but it can still be done.  Use 2% or regular milk, measure out the amount of milk you will need in your cappucino cup and transfer it to the steaming pitcher. Angle the pitcher and keep you steam tip just below the surface, allow a little air in but do not cause too many bubbles. The idea is to get the milk to rise in volume. Hold the outside of the pitcher until it gets hot. Pour your milk in an create your flower at the end of the pour by wavering the pour back and forth then pouring up through it.  The main trick is to use the just the amount of milk you will need to fill your cup for the pour and making sure the milk volume expands during steaming without making it too bubbly.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 209 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41211104393)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+