Espresso: Espresso Machines
Are the beans bad if...?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Are the beans...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 5:11am
Subject: Are the beans bad if...?

Beautiful cone, 30 second pull, ridiculous amounts of crema...but the aroma seems off, a little earthy and unusual to the beans. I figured they were stale but I thought gauging crema volume was a good way to tell (I'm probably wrong). Thoughts?
I'm also curious what makes one blend give a tidy pour with every shot, and another ends up runny and with endless channeling. I know these are broad questions, but I'm always trying to figure out if my technique is ever at fault before I blame my beans.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:08am
Subject: Re: Are the beans bad if...?

There are some blends of beans I really do not like. FTO from Klatch is the main one, to me it tastes like dirt. Perhaps it is your blend you do not like.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:14am

Perhaps some Robusta in there? That would explain the crema as well as the taste. I do like Robusta on occasion.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 8:52am

I had the same reaction a couple of weeks back after roasting some of my own Sumatran.  Not bad, just... off.  I've come to realize it's a characteristic of the coffee and in fact have grown to quite like it.  One poster here noted that he often got the comment "why doesn't this taste like coffee?" when he served up different varieties to the masses... maybe they're not all supposed to taste the same.  What type of beans do you have?
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 9:51am

Not a ton of info to go on. I may be way off but I am trying to put together a string of threads, are you trying out an Imported ItLian Roast? Did you get the issues with your grinder sorted out?  Have you figured out the routine that fits the mods you did to your machine? Any of those questions may be the answer as well.

I have had a few unruly beans that needed the most anal prep to get them to behave but if dose, grind, prep, and water temp where all correct it made all the sink shots worth it, if it isn't that special it is compost when the challenge is over. I am not a fan of single dosing only because it allows for error, a Vario was designed for the hopper to be filled, grind changes even when it goes below 1/2 full and becomes unpredictable below 1/4 full IMO. I never liked stock NS baskets, almost anything was more consistent. Good baskets, consistent grinder, consistent shot prep and proper technique for equipment, and being consistent with water temp management of equipment being used where the things I learned to make great espresso everyday. There will always be a curve ball and I even look forward to them, it makes coffee always interesting.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:16am

The blend I'm using is a Kona Blend. I think it was roasted about 12 days ago, so it is getting a little long in the tooth. I just figured if it was going bad, it would be show in the shot.

I do single dose almost exclusively and find the Vario to be a challenge. I watch the levers jiggle ever so slightly against their stops when grinding on occasion and I always feel like I'm chasing the settings. It's one of the reasons I've stuck with the Kona, because it seems to make perfect (looking) shots each time on the same grind setting with the same tamp, etc. I really love trying different coffees day to day. Is the Vario-W the wrong choice for this?

One of my favorite coffees is SO Tanzanian Peaberry (I know, weird). I used to be able to make perfect shots with it, but now all I get are sprites and more channeling than DirecTV. I don't use the stock NS baskets anymore, I use a ridgeless VST 18g. I gently sift the grounds directly into the basket before giving a firm, nutating tamp. It works perfectly on the kona, works well on the Organic Sunrise Blend from Cafe Tierra, seems to piss off my SO's and cause messy pours with partial donut extractions.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Are the beans...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.35901093483)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+