Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What machine has all of these options?
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What machine has...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 5:45am
Subject: Re: What machine has all of these options?

germantownrob Said:

Ahh, is there going to be a grading curve now?

Edit: Does the BDB have SS boilers? That's going to be big points for being under the $2k challenge.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

The Breville's are not copper.  I don't think this combo exists under 2K!  Its like picking a woman... pretty, smart or emotionally stable... pick 2.  I found some great setups with 3/4 for under 2K that actually fit my needs better.  As a new guy i think the alex duetto 3.0 is my favorite but the QM67 had the package that fit in options and cost.

Copper is far superior for heat control.  When i upgraded my cookware to a set with copper; it made more of a difference than you could ever imagine.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 8:18am

coffeestig Said:

The Breville's are not copper.  I don't think this combo exists under 2K!  Its like picking a woman... pretty, smart or emotionally stable... pick 2.  I found some great setups with 3/4 for under 2K that actually fit my needs better.  As a new guy i think the alex duetto 3.0 is my favorite but the QM67 had the package that fit in options and cost.

Copper is far superior for heat control.  When i upgraded my cookware to a set with copper; it made more of a difference than you could ever imagine.

Posted February 27, 2013 link

Sorry, it was a bad joke, if you where to change your requirements to allow for SS.

You do know the GS3 is SS boilers? To me heat control in a boiler comes from the heating element and the lag time for on/off not the material, now the group I wouldn't want made out of SS for the thermal stability you mention.

When it comes to cook ware I like SS outside with copper cores.
DavecUK

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 8:59am

Copper boilers are nice because they are easy to make any shape, easy to adapt for new fittings, known material and long lasting, but not cheap....this is all nice for the manufacturer. Stainless is very cheap, fairly long lasting (welds can be problematic), but if alterations are needed it can get expensive and a whole new run done with minimum quantities. Which is why sometimes you see the same stainless boiler in more than one machine. It's also a great temptation to fix the heating elements in permanently (which I hate). From the consumer perspective they're nice though, as is copper.

Then you have the material I would really like to see boilers made out of one day, IF, it could be done....a high temperature plastic. e.g. glass reinforced nylon that's thermo stabilised or similar. you get the same issues for having a run done and alterations as with steel....although it may well be possible to have areas where new fittings can be added without remanufacture.

On a personal level, I can catch the slight taste of copper from a copper boiler, I'm relatively unusual in being able to do that, steel I get nothing from. So at the end of the day...it makes little difference to the consumer.

P.S. I also have no dislike of plastic high temperature piping for steam/hot water etc.. as used in the La Spaz etc..and if the manufacturers are smart, this can lead to much lower production costs for these largely hand built machines. They would certainly be easier to service in the future as a flaring machine/brazing would never be required. plus it's nice to be able to ease them out of the way when maintenance is required, or remove one end of a fitting and bend the pipe to remove something else, buy a piece and cut to length...loads of advantages. Much less spares needing to be carried by the resellers.
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 9:02am

The Expobar Brewtus IV-R is under $2K, but I don't think its boilers are copper.  Everything else is there, though.  I enjoy mine.
coffeestig

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 9:25am

germantownrob Said:

When it comes to cook ware I like SS outside with copper cores.

Yes, I use Demeyere Atlantis :)
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:06am

Induction cooktop here.. no copper...
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:09am

coffeestig Said:

Yes, I use Demeyere Atlantis :)

I have had my All-Clad for 12 years now, I have some very nice vintage all copper pans but I keep them wrapped up and away, to much work to keep shiny.

This is my next purchase Click Here (www.surlatable.com)
coffeestig

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:38am

germantownrob Said:

I have had my All-Clad for 12 years now, I have some very nice vintage all copper pans but I keep them wrapped up and away, to much work to keep shiny.

This is my next purchase Click Here (www.surlatable.com)

Nice!  I just got a discontinued Bob Kramer very similar to that one.  "last years model," even though it was a limited run production anyways and it was way discounted.  Thye have a good deal on a Miyabi right now as well that I got for my GF since the Kramer has too beefy a handle for her.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:56pm

We're not too far off from ceramics capable of pressure, machining fittings, and insane durability as boiler vessels. Add high frequency sonic stimulated tungsten heat elements, and then you'll have something which will make you happy as coffee boiler, hot water heater, or ships steam generators.  

Cooper is old world metal and technology. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as you don't need much tinning. Stainless is old modern world tech which is just getting to its maturity. Some in the nuclear industry would say we know the metal quite well, but it's benefits are long in trickle down. Our largest manufacturing difficulties with it today are people trying to work it on the cheap. I'm not trying to take anything away from specific heat of each - I'll gladly accept a silver boiler tank, fittings, and cap, CNC manufactured from solid block stock!

(All clad master chef 2, with a few specially selected copper-core pieces. Shun knives.
Kitchen = good times!)
parshal

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 2:58pm

OttoMatic Said:

The Expobar Brewtus IV-R is under $2K, but I don't think its boilers are copper.

Actually, they are copper, so it fits the OP's requirements exactly.  I just got one myself a week ago and love it.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What machine has...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461228132248)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+