Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Serving and Enjoying Espresso
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Serving and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 12:11am
Subject: Re: Serving and Enjoying Espresso

This is terrific info. I have noticed that by switching to medium-to-darker roast blends its easier to get consistency and they're a lot more forgiving, though hardly as vibrant as single-dosing Tanzanian Peaberry. I'm assuming these "jets" you're talking about are the gicleurs that go on either side of the brew group to regulate the HX water temp? I recently had these installed (thans Plindy!) on my Oscar and have noticed my flush is less than half of what it used to be. Because I got into this hobby here, I was influenced to try mostly light roast and high-grown African and Central American coffees, which seem to lack so much body in the pour as to make them incredibly difficult to work with. Interestingly, Abruzzo was selling the beans they were using, so I'm going to try and grab some the next time I'm up there. Oh, be warned, Abruzzo is cash-only! My friend ended up having to pay for my doppio, since I never carry cash when I come to Canada.

Also, does anyone know where I can find some reasonably-priced "traditional" Italian bar blend espresso online?
 View Profile Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:49am

I'm loving this "return to tradition" thread!! I just clued in that you are in seattle, so I assume that you have made your way down to Vivace? As much as I enjoy the lighter roasted SO's and their bright flavours, I found it refreshing to have a shot at Vivace. They use a blend that is a darker roast and they pull a shot that is aggressive but balanced and chocolaty. I bought some of their beans to use at home and loved the results, they do dark blend really really well.

I would go so far as to describe Vivace as: Tradition meets third wave. And even the inching toward "over the top" decor is reminiscent of some of the fancier cafe's in Italy.

What's you opinion?

And the third wave has replaced the lemon twist (had never heard that one), with SO's that can go lemony when sour!!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 6:50am

Jmanespresso Said:

Not sure about in Italy, but my Father always makes a joke when I serve him Espresso, "Hey, where the lemon twist?"  (My Father grew up here in NY)

When he was a kid, after dinner was generally some sort of cookie or pastry from the Italian Bakery down the street, and his parents would make Moka Pot.  Family gatherings, or regular dinner nights, this was the norm.

Coffee used?

Medaglia D'Oro, in the red can.

Classic Espresso baby.  Best you can get.   ;-)

That was always served with a lemon twist.  And it was common, not just his family did it that way.   I speculate the lemon twist was thought up so the drinker could have SOMETHING to mask the god awful flavor.  SOMETHING to offset the massively bitter 2oz drink.  And Ive had that "espresso" served to me many times when I was kid as well.  And I always asked for it when it was served, even though it was HORRRRRRIBLE, because it was what the adults drank.

My father thought thats what espresso was since he was a little kid.  I thought so too, until I tried real espresso.  First time I served him a shot of espresso, he couldn't believe the taste.  To be honest, niether could I.

Posted February 28, 2013 link

Same way I grew up. I would taste that gross drink and add a lot of anisette to it!! They used to call it BLACK coffee!! LOL!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 8:30am

Yes, the parts we added to the group head fine tuned the thermosyphon so it is better controlled resulting in improved shots and lowering the flush volume.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Serving and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.365028142929)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+