Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrade theory - Which machine next? And which one after that?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade theory -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 8:30pm
Subject: Re: Upgrade theory - Which machine next? And which one after that?

Peace espresso comrades ... This is becoming redundant.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 9:10pm

Steve?  When have I EVER said that a "god-shot" was anything BUT subjective???

Taste IS subjective.  PERIOD.  Who wrote the better music, Bach or Beethoven? the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?  Who was the better painter, Rembrandt or El Greco? or van Gogh or Picasso?  What wine is better, the 2009 Chateau Cache Phloe Chardonnay or the 2010 Domaine Jean Deaux Chardonnay?  Which cola is better, Coke or Pepsi?  Which is the better espresso blend, Vivace or Verve? Counter Culture or Klatch?  Or none of the above?

And if you pick X, and I pick Y, and someone else picks Z -- who's wrong?

(Hint:  no one.)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:01pm

This through me, when you wrote.

"god-shot" to me, Russell, is just that:  a serendipitous coming together of the Espresso Gods that result in a truly amazing shot, leaving you speechless.  You cannot create a god-shot.  You cannot "aim" for it, or attempt to reproduce it.  It is something that -- when all is right in the heavens, and the stars perfectly align -- just happens.  THAT (to me) is a "god-shot."

It sounded mystical and transcendental not based on what we do and our subjective feelings

I am glad you agree that a god-shot is subjective . If its subjective that means its based on individual subjective taste and a person in any part of their journey can have one, from someone
using a Gaggia Coffee,a La Pavoni lever, or La Cimbali Junior.

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Steve?  When have I EVER said that a "god-shot" was anything BUT subjective???

Taste IS subjective.  PERIOD.  Who wrote the better music, Bach or Beethoven? the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?  Who was the better painter, Rembrandt or El Greco? or van Gogh or Picasso?  What wine is better, the 2009 Chateau Cache Phloe Chardonnay or the 2010 Domaine Jean Deaux Chardonnay?  Which cola is better, Coke or Pepsi?  Which is the better espresso blend, Vivace or Verve? Counter Culture or Klatch?  Or none of the above?

And if you pick X, and I pick Y, and someone else picks Z -- who's wrong?

(Hint:  no one.)

Posted February 24, 2013 link

russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 73' Cremina, '74 Club,...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:04pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

\What you CAN make is consistently GREAT espresso, and that requires skill, technique, fresh beans . . . we all know the mantra.  But if all you're doing, Russell, is making good espresso, remind me never to go to your café -- I'd just be disappointed.

This is why I think contributing here is worth less and less of my time.  Thank you Jason, for insulting me, my fellow baristas, and the cafe who's reputation for taking all aspects of coffee very seriously (and with a smile no less) we have worked hard to build.  And all over the semantic issue of using "good" instead of "great".  I bid you all a good night.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:34pm

Russel I would say this place needs people who live coffee such as you do. I didnt give his comments a second thought in regards to you. Ive had great espresso from Klatch L.A. and
Intelligentsia Chicago,plus many other smaller shops.

russel Said:

This is why I think contributing here is worth less and less of my time.  Thank you Jason, for insulting me, my fellow baristas, and the cafe who's reputation for taking all aspects of coffee very seriously (and with a smile no less) we have worked hard to build.  And all over the semantic issue of using "good" instead of "great".  I bid you all a good night.

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 6:10am

Iluvdabean Said:

Ive had great espresso from Klatch L.A. and Intelligentsia Chicago,plus many other smaller shops.

Me, too, which is why I go there . . . but why would I go to a place that only gives me "good"?  I'm sorry if Russell doesn't appreciate the difference between "good" and "great" -- actually, I'm sure that, in real life, he does -- but I can only go by what he wrote.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 6:22am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Me, too, which is why I go there . . . but why would I go to a place that only gives me "good"?  I'm sorry if Russell doesn't appreciate the difference between "good" and "great" -- actually, I'm sure that, in real life, he does -- but I can only go by what he wrote.

Posted February 25, 2013 link

+1

I have good to very good to excellent equipment at home so I can repeat great espresso and coffee multiple times a day. I have upgraded through time all of this equipment to suit my needs to continue on the journey of great espresso/coffee, not some RoastMaster's interpretation of what they do to please their customers, not saying I don't sample what is out there just saying I am not limited to that profile or that roast level. I have beans that can be roasted many different ways to give a very different cup. I can play with dose, grind and temperature to also alter the taste, any cafe I walk into I get what I get and that is about it. What came first the home roaster/brewer or the cafe? Hint, this one is simpler then the chicken and the egg.

How is that for theory, upgrade to suit your needs.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 7:59am

Rob there are only a handful of people here who know what they are talking about in my opinion and the one thing they all have in common is they dont argue about things. I like
that because they are comfortable with themselves. I see people who brag about machines and things as insecure.Same as those who think god-shots (subjective metaphor) can only belong to a few with a
certain machine.  Seems to me those who have progressed any distance in this coffee journey have chucked pride out of the back pack to get further on. Frankly I dont know what keeps poor Mark Prince sane
with all this childish fighting. Last night I thought to myself...How does he do it I always have to cleanse what some people say with EGO CLEANSER sold at the better shops.
Then let it hang dry outside..it removes all the personal self gratifying B.S.leaving the real stuff.

germantownrob Said:

+1

I have good to very good to excellent equipment at home so I can repeat great espresso and coffee multiple times a day. I have upgraded through time all of this equipment to suit my needs to continue on the journey of great espresso/coffee, not some RoastMaster's interpretation of what they do to please their customers, not saying I don't sample what is out there just saying I am not limited to that profile or that roast level. I have beans that can be roasted many different ways to give a very different cup. I can play with dose, grind and temperature to also alter the taste, any cafe I walk into I get what I get and that is about it. What came first the home roaster/brewer or the cafe? Hint, this one is simpler then the chicken and the egg.

How is that for theory, upgrade to suit your needs.

germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 8:19am

Iluvdabean Said:

Rob there are only a handful of people here who know what they are talking about in my opinion and the one thing they all have in common is they dont argue about things. I like
that because they are comfortable with themselves. I see people who brag about machines and things as insecure.Same as those who think god-shots (subjective metaphor) can only belong to a few with a
certain machine.  Seems to me those who have progressed any distance in this coffee journey have chucked pride out of the back pack to get further on. Frankly I dont know what keeps poor Mark Prince sane
with all this childish fighting. Last night I thought to myself...How does he do it I always have to cleanse what some people say with EGO CLEANSER sold at the better shops.
Then let it hang dry outside..it removes all the personal self gratifying B.S.leaving the real stuff.

We call them Hacks in the construction world. Some of the most successful contractors I know are hack carpenters and they make a ton of money and hire very good tradesmen that are not hacks and can be trusted.Some of the most skilled craftsmen I know can't make a dime without someone to be their boss and get the jobs. If I want something done the best it can be done I will not go to a business that claims to do it best since really they are best at selling not at doing, I will go to those that do know best and learn how to do what they do or hire them personally do to it for me. I buy my espresso equipment from one place because they stand behind what they sell and don't waste time on selling me what I don't need.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:16pm

I guess I didn't know the backstory here before walking into this mine field as I'm sure this scuffle didn't start on this thread. Sorry if my contributions were interpreted as against one 'side' or the other. Didn't realize the emotions were so heated or I would have refrained from posting.
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrade theory -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.517121076584)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+