Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 252 of 252 first page previous page
Author Messages
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:35pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

jeffs99 Said:

Thanks for the great info.

When you say 35 sec, are you including the (default) 7 sec pre-infusion time?

As for grinder, I presently have a Breville Smart grinder but after reading about others, I've ordered the Baratza Vario and will return the BSG.
And I am also using a scale with 0.1 gm resoultion.

Posted January 22, 2014 link

35 seconds on the shot clock. I did change my pre-infusion to 5 seconds at 60% I think. Read it somewhere and tried it, can't really say why but it works well.

Good choice on the grinder, the SG is okay but the Vario is better. Don't forget to purge a few seconds of coffee before you load your first dose of the day.

Also good deal on your scale. Now go tinker and have fun!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greglepore

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 6:39pm

dagoat Said:

on edit: i'm seriously starting to wonder if maybe breville is in partial cahoots with williams sonoma and their other official distributors on warranty issues

-peter

Posted January 10, 2014 link

Meaning what, that they're only doing out of time warranties on machines purchased thru big retailers or???

Mine solved itself, in a way a drag as I'd really like a B and I suspect the orings are going to toast at some point :)
 View Profile Link to this post
rhodius2003

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 8:31am

Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My BDB this coming April would be two years old, no issue, have been a very happy owner. The last few weeks I've been using it daily instead of only on weekends. Now the machine starts to run 40 seconds on empty pull when the double shot button is pushed (double shot single wall PF with NO coffee), I have a setting of 7 seconds pre-infusion. With ground coffee (Vario-W using 3 day roasted coffee in Behmor), depending on the grind, it will vary between 45-50 seconds with pressure showing 5-7 bars. With finer grind it will be 48-55 seconds with pressure at the end of the grey area (10 bar?). While the time won't lies, the pressure gauge seemed to be acting strangely. It never does this before: the pressure needle stays in the pre-infusion during pre-infusion and then very slowly moves, I'm talking about a few seconds at least, it used to stay in pre-infusion and then shot up to the grey area (8-10 bar?). No matter how I varied my grind and/or tamp, it seems to either be less than 7 (outside the grey area) or over 10 (end of grey area). While you can blame my skills, how is it possible empty pull runs 40 seconds? I believe it used to do that under 20 seconds in the past, even with pre-infusion.

I suspect it's a weak pump. But since finer grinds and also using the rubber thingy (blind pull?) on double wall PF would result in the gauge at 10 bar, I don't know what to make of this. Another possibility is caulking, supply of water is not enough, that's why empty pull runs so long. Anybody with this experience before? I've checked coffeesnobs, but didn't find anything relevant, I don't think it's the o-ring.

Thanks beforehand.
greglepore

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 2:38pm

Given the known issues with the o rings in the 3 way solenoid, I would suspect that first. Call their customer service, they are super helpful. Let us know...
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:47pm

greglepore Said:

Given the known issues with the o rings in the 3 way solenoid, I would suspect that first. Call their customer service, they are super helpful. Let us know...

Posted January 28, 2014 link

I would never discourage one to seek service through the channels Breville intends for us, (which also seems to result in new or refurb machines), but I can tell you for certain that the o-rings in the /A are super easy to inspect and replace.  Yes the /B now sports a gasket with molded-in o-rings, but the old method with traditional o-rings and no gasket, is an entirely workable situation when we are all off warranty and doing what we can for ourselves.  all complex machines need attention sooner or later, despite Breville's best attempts to make ours as trouble-free as possible.

In fact, if you have a /A that is over a year old, I strongly recommend you inspect under the 3-way solenoid, and clean the base where the solenoid sits. and replace the o-rings too if they need it.

And having the /B is not all sunshine and roses.  The rim of the group head is fatter and deeper.  I had to grind a notch into the handle of my beautiful naked portafilter, where it meets the ring, to make it fit the new group head.  That combined with the fact that there is no increased functionality going from /A to /B and IMHO there should be no mad rush to swap out your /A for a /B.  

-Peter
cgjamj

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler 920
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 6:01am

I had the B version of the BDB that I bought at Williams-Sonoma about 18 months ago @ 20% off. I had no issues with it until a month ago. One day it was fine, and the next it started making a really weird sound and the pressure gauge would bounce as it started to rise after the pre-infusion stage. I thought it was just an anomaly, so I tried it again a few times...same result. Tried some different coffee, same thing. After a few days, I called Breville. The rep asked me a few questions and then put me on hold. He came back and said they were sending me a new machine. I was a little surprised, but very happy and relieved. Then it got even better...he informed me they were going to send me the 920 unit (BES920XL), which was not even available for sale yet according to him. The only bad news was that he asked if I had the naked portafilter, which I did. He said it would not work and said they did not yet have naked portafilters available for the 920, but would at some point.

This was the first time I've ever had to use Breville's support, but they were as great as I had heard. I was not expecting them to send me a new machine since mine was out of warranty and definitely didn't expect the upgraded version. So, for those of you having some of these issues, I would definitely give them a call as they just might replace it.

BTW, if any of you BES900 owners are interested in a naked portafilter, let me know. Mine is less than a year old and in flawless condition, but now useless to me. I'd be willing to sell it for half price.
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:01am

lucky you

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
lowellw2

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 5:01pm

This falls under "for what it's worth" but I noticed there appears to be a source now listing parts availability for the BES900XL. Previously this site had the parts diagrams but no prices were listed.  Maybe this means we can order parts if an out of warranty repair is needed.  I have not tried to order anything.

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 6:27pm

lowellw2 Said:

This falls under "for what it's worth" but I noticed there appears to be a source now listing parts availability for the BES900XL. Previously this site had the parts diagrams but no prices were listed.  Maybe this means we can order parts if an out of warranty repair is needed.  I have not tried to order anything.

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)

Posted March 8, 2014 link

nice thanks

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
showing page 252 of 252 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.421794891357)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+