Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Err Code help on Breville dual boiler
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Err Code help on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Sashton8

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 6:59am
Subject: Err Code help on Breville dual boiler

Just got an err1 code, turned off the machine and restarted in the service menu and saw the code 02:01.  Does anyone have some insight to the error?
 View Profile Link to this post
Metatron

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:16am
Subject: Re: Err Code help on Breville dual boiler

You could search/ask on the coffeesnobs.com.au forum. There is a LONG thread there which is difficult to search but is pretty responsive to questions. Otherwise, call/email Breville USA. Their service is pretty good.

Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:56am

Metatron is right.... contact Breville USA. I have yet to hear someone get a satisfactory answer regarding the Err1 (or 2 or 3), code and I have asked here, on coffeesnobs, i've mined the threads, tried to PM Phil Mcknight and spoken with Breville Canada.

The best that the manager at Breville Canada could find is that it indicates a short of some short. That being said, he was surprised that the machine could be started up again and operational. All he could do was to replace it under warranty. I had the same problem on 4 different machines before I had to admit that this machine is just not a match for me and/or my house. I recently noticed that someone else had this happen on 4 different machines as well.

Please keep us posted with what you discover. Phil Mckight has recently been back on the forum so maybe he will weigh in. He gets to the bottom of stuff.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:59am

According to the manual an error code 1,2, or 3 cannot be reset by the user, call customer service.

Found this http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/560878#560878
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 8:07am

germantownrob Said:

According to the manual an error code 1,2, or 3 cannot be reset by the user, call customer service.

Found this http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/560878#560878

Posted February 24, 2013 link

That's a good catch, but i never found follow up from it. What do those other numbers mean? Breville canada has no idea.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 8:24am

JohnLyn Said:

That's a good catch, but i never found follow up from it. What do those other numbers mean? Breville canada has no idea.

So far this is the best I have found yet Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au) post #36
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 8:41am

germantownrob Said:

So far this is the best I have found yet Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au) post #36

Yes, that did seem promising and was also the best one that I had found. you are excellent at mining threads! only problem is that I ultimately did not discover answers on that one either. I often felt close to answers but they eluded me.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 1:10pm

Disturbing.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
mcknightp

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: LM 3 Grp
Grinder: Robur, Swift
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 3:12pm

Err1 is generated when the software detects a signal from the brew boiler NTC that is not within a specified range. From initial production, there were a batch of NTCs that were not within our required spec. That's why some have reported this happening on multiple machines. Sometimes tracking down these intermittent issues is really hard because they don't present themselves everytime the machine is used. Usually turning the machine off at the wall socket & turning back on will allow you to continue to use the machine, and sometimes it never happens again....if it does continue to occur, then return it for service & the NTC will be replaced.

Cheers, Phil
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:57pm

mcknightp Said:

Err1 is generated when the software detects a signal from the brew boiler NTC that is not within a specified range. From initial production, there were a batch of NTCs that were not within our required spec. That's why some have reported this happening on multiple machines. Sometimes tracking down these intermittent issues is really hard because they don't present themselves everytime the machine is used. Usually turning the machine off at the wall socket & turning back on will allow you to continue to use the machine, and sometimes it never happens again....if it does continue to occur, then return it for service & the NTC will be replaced.

Cheers, Phil

Thanks Phil, your description is very consistent with the experience that I had i.e. it would not happen every time that I used the machine and it would perform fine after unplugging it. Even though I no longer own a BDB it is a relief to know that the issue is NTC's that are not within the required spec. This would have made a difference had I known earlier that there was a definition to the problem and a solution. I always appreciate your clarity, candidness and ability to solve problems. keep up the good work!

Any hints you can give us regarding the rumour of a new machine in the works?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Err Code help on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449408054352)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+