Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 172 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:38pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

carz07 Said:

hi alex, 1hour is a pretty long time. perhaps you need to have it checked. I havent really took record of the time but around 5mins or something depending on its existing heat. Like in the morning i pull a shot and then turn the machine off but after an hour or few minutes i turn it on to pull another, it starts its heat up base on the existing temp so its faster. But never an hour even from total overnight cooldown

Posted February 23, 2013 link

Sorry if that is confusing.  The machine heats up, according to the display, in about 5 minutes.  I have tried shots that way.  I have also let the machine stay heated up (around an hour) to make sure everything is very warm.  I'm not sure it if makes a difference, though - I was wondering if the group head gets warm enough in just five minutes.
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 10:47pm

AlexKilpatrick Said:

Can anyone shed some light about the required time to "properly" heat up the BDB?  I generally will pull a shot as soon as the machine is warmed up according to the display - 5 minutes or so.  I have also made shots when the machine had warmed up for an hour.  I don't think I can tell the difference, but I haven't done any exhaustive tests.

Does anyone else warm the machine up for a longer time?

Alex,
I"ve had some warm and cold starts and may-hap the fact I tend to draw a double through the portafilter and into a cup I'm going to warm or shot jigger tends to stabilize things so I believe I'm getting good runs. I also have the device set to start the timer about 1/2 to an hour ahead of when I normally stumble out of bed - and again draw the dbl to warm the external pieces of the equation up.

If I'm drawing steam for milk drinks I'll take a 4 oz cup of water from the tap and 'steam' it to roiling bubbles to warm that latte cup up - giving the steam wand a good drying heat up.

So, I got nothing about "properly" Alex.  The fact you've got the option of setting a keep warm cycle which allows the brew group to drop as far as what 150? for upto 4 hours might give you an idea of what the mfg thinks. But if you're looking to repeatable temperatures you're really talking to the endurance of the equipment to draw shot after shot and steam milk jug after jug...

I'd be interested to see where this aspect of the game goes here on the forum too :)
-Chris
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 6:34am

MerleApAmber Said:

Alex,
I"ve had some warm and cold starts and may-hap the fact I tend to draw a double through the portafilter and into a cup I'm going to warm or shot jigger tends to stabilize things so I believe I'm getting good runs. I also have the device set to start the timer about 1/2 to an hour ahead of when I normally stumble out of bed - and again draw the dbl to warm the external pieces of the equation up.

If I'm drawing steam for milk drinks I'll take a 4 oz cup of water from the tap and 'steam' it to roiling bubbles to warm that latte cup up - giving the steam wand a good drying heat up.

So, I got nothing about "properly" Alex.  The fact you've got the option of setting a keep warm cycle which allows the brew group to drop as far as what 150? for upto 4 hours might give you an idea of what the mfg thinks. But if you're looking to repeatable temperatures you're really talking to the endurance of the equipment to draw shot after shot and steam milk jug after jug...

I'd be interested to see where this aspect of the game goes here on the forum too :)
-Chris

I, too,draw the hot water through the PF to try and ensure that the head components are up to temp. Then I wipe it with a "rag" (actually, I use paper towels lol) before dosing.

I am going to try the steam "trick" the next time I make a "milk" drink.

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:24am

Allowing a machine to warm so that all parts along the water path are thermally stable is going to give you the best shot otherwise those parts are cooling the brew water. If you want the best posiable espresso this is a must, I am not saying I haven't rushed this process with some flushes and got a very passable pull but then again when I rush things it is always mixed with milk. Plenty of threads out there with Scace numbers to prove a machine allowed to warm to thermal stability will have much more predictable stable brew temps then a machine that is in the process of still becoming thermally stable, what is the point of having a PID controlled brew temp if you are not going to get what you want.
Metatron

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 7:58am

The BDB boilers will be up to temperature 5 minutes or so after turn on. The group, portafilter and non-boiler parts will not be up to temp. If you want to pull a shot at this time, you should pull one or two blank shots to warm the group and PF.

At ten minutes or so from turn on, I believe everything is pretty much stabilized. I always make sure the PF is up to temp by either leaving it in the group or pulling a warming flush.

If you do a warming flush, always dry the PF otherwise you will get channeling.
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:08am

Metatron Said:

The BDB boilers will be up to temperature 5 minutes or so after turn on. The group, portafilter and non-boiler parts will not be up to temp. If you want to pull a shot at this time, you should pull one or two blank shots to warm the group and PF.

At ten minutes or so from turn on, I believe everything is pretty much stabilized. I always make sure the PF is up to temp by either leaving it in the group or pulling a warming flush.

If you do a warming flush, always dry the PF otherwise you will get channeling.

Posted February 24, 2013 link

Here's a question that just "crossed my mind".

Do you run the risk of "harming" the PF seal in the group head if you leave the PF "in place" when the machine is not in use (compression of the seal)?

I usually take mine off the unit after I clean it (the wiggle and flush with the blind). Then, I re-install it in place when I turn the machine on allowing it to heat up even before I "flush" it.

What do the rest of you do?

Cheers,

Dave

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:30am

I don't know about harm.. but one could extend the observation of short term pressure on the way the gasket seals after having the pf loosely placed. I have experience placing the PF on the group head through a couple of days of use - again just twisting it around to lightly snug. I believe I'm seeing something of a pouring lip form after having let the components sit this way. Makes it easier to see the PF rotate out under pressure and I think I've seen more grounds show up at that area of the PF rim when I remove it for dunk and clean.

Now, if one were to go to where it says LOCK, this might avoid that entire problem - but - could necessitate replacement of the gasket more often as you'd be keeping it under compression and heat. Silicone seals at food plants need to be replaced due to wear; generally we accept the premise as home users.  How often results from our experience, or, our own O.C.D.  :)

Again, and with a nod toward Rob W, it depends upon what your experience and devotion to the Muse demand.

-Chris
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:22am

dagoat Said:

Espresso itself is almost completely subjective.  It is also full of variables (which is why some of us weigh our doses and extractions, and use the AWESOME temperature control of the BDB... to eliminate three of them).  

I am of the weigh and time set so do try to eliminate as many variables as possible.  Peter, still waiting for your visit to Rancho. LOL

Thanks all for the blonding explanation, it clears a few things up for me.  My crema is mottled in color so I think technically, it's good.  I'll try the no crema approach and see how that works.  But I do love the machine and have started playing with temp controls as well, dropped my morning shot from 201 (roaster recommendation) to 199 this morning and yum was the result.

Michael
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 2:19pm

Park_Ridge_Dave Said:

Do you run the risk of "harming" the PF seal in the group head if you leave the PF "in place" when the machine is not in use (compression of the seal)?

Posted February 24, 2013 link

I remember reading in the coffeesnobs forum that the BDB was designed with seals that were under pressure all the time.  Phil recommended leaving the portafilter in 24/7.  It won't harm anything, and it helps make sure everything is as warm as possible.
mariog7

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 4:24pm

Hello, All.

I am highly considering a BDB, but it looks like there are many quality issues.  Has anyone had their machine for more than 6 mos without problems?  And what is the warranty?

Thanks.
showing page 172 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.535995006561)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+